What Happened to Minmus!?

majNUN

48 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

Respect != identical copy.

Not identical copy. If you ever read the science reports about Minmus in KSP 1, the minty-green ice cream colour is canon to the Kerbal world. Why Minmus is the colour that it is is the point of the science on Minmus. Whether or not Minmus is mint ice cream is a science experiment in KSP 1.

48 minutes ago, majNUN said:

Not identical copy. If you ever read the science reports about Minmus in KSP 1, the minty-green ice cream colour is canon to the Kerbal world. Why Minmus is the colour that it is is the point of the science on Minmus. Whether or not Minmus is mint ice cream is a science experiment in KSP 1.

That was canon to KSP1. Many things from old science reports may have changed. Welcome to KSP2.

I think it could do with a slight extra green tint, but honestly, I like it way better in KSP2 than in KSP1. The ideal, for me, would be the terrain and detail of KSP2, with... about 20 % of the greenness from KSP1.

It just doesn't make sense to have a bright green moon so close to the Sun. The change is a creative choice that I fully support.

I love the new Minmus. Could it be maybe add a couple more units of Green in the RGB values for the texture files? Maybe, maybe not. I like it a LOT as it is.

You know what I *love* about it, though? The new Minmus music! Absolutely love it! I love all the music I've heard so far, but Minmus is my current fave

8 minutes ago, Frostiken said:

It could stand for maybe a bit more green but honestly I prefer what they did with the planets, over the extreme palettes of KSP1.

Then again, the real planets and moons have pretty extreme palettes, even when NASA does not enhance the color.  Io does not look real.

• 3 weeks later...

A friendly note from your moderation team:

A number of posts have been moved from this thread that were either off-topic (this thread is about the appearance of Minmus) or were in violation of the forum guidelines. As a reminder, when each of us created our accounts, we had to check a box stating we have read the forum guidelines and agreed we would follow them to become a part of this gaming community.

We understand that Kerbal Space Program 2, especially those of us who have hours invested in the original game, are passionate about the changes. And some of the changes are a little harder on some of us than others. But the last thing we should do is make disagreements on the game's development progress OR features a reason to personally attack other forum members.

Thanks for your understanding!

On 2/27/2023 at 2:26 PM, Initar said:

How friggin cool is it that they actually had help from NASA to find a way to make it's appearance scientifically explainable by making it a glass/ceramic planet?

It still looks like mint ice anyway. Just harder.

Yeah it's just unfortunate that they ended up ignoring what NASA told them.  As was posted in another thread, you don't get glassy smooth surfaces like that from volcanic activity, there's no glass volcanoes out there.  Consulting with NASA!= Listening to thier advice.

18 minutes ago, RocketRockington said:

Yeah it's just unfortunate that they ended up ignoring what NASA told them.  As was posted in another thread, you don't get glassy smooth surfaces like that from volcanic activity, there's no glass volcanoes out there.  Consulting with NASA!= Listening to thier advice.

I feel like there has to be a way to get the flash cooling required for glass in large quantities in nature naturally. Only thing I can think of is either small bodies having enough surface area to get the speed of radiative cooling required for glass formation, or silicate being cooled down upon contact with a cold metallic core?

2 hours ago, Strawberry said:

I feel like there has to be a way to get the flash cooling required for glass in large quantities in nature naturally. Only thing I can think of is either small bodies having enough surface area to get the speed of radiative cooling required for glass formation, or silicate being cooled down upon contact with a cold metallic core?

Surface areas is going to be consistent, it's a flat plain, not a small sphere.  Natural glasses just don't make these nice flat shiny plains.  It's too viscous, too heterogenous. 

I don't mind the glass explanation, it makes Minmus unique while still having large parts of the same identity!

I feel like it would stand out more if many of the rocky CBs weren't so... similarly shiny, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I landed on Minmus and realised my landing gear was a leeeetle too springy because my lander landed, took off, landed, did a 360 degree flip, landed, did a 360 degree flip the other way and then went KABOOM.

I think I almost wet myself laughing.

Did they actually REDUCE the gravity on Minmus? Or is it just to do with the landing gear settings?

Edited by NeoMorph UK

2 hours ago, NeoMorph UK said:

I landed on Minmus and realised my landing gear was a leeeetle too springy because my lander landed, took off, landed, did a 360 degree flip, landed, did a 360 degree flip the other way and then went KABOOM.

I think I almost wet myself laughing.

Did they actually REDUCE the gravity on Minmus? Or is it just to do with the landing gear settings?

Landing gear is especially glitchy in ksp2 so thats probably the case

1 hour ago, Little 908 said:

Landing gear is especially glitchy in ksp2 so thats probably the case

I do know that landing in water is glitchy too. My capsule starts spinning wildly and then sinks. 

But this is the beauty of early access. Seeing all the bugs that happened in KSP1 happen again in KSP2. If you look for any of your bugs on Google and just put KSP instead of KSP2 you will see the same bugs you are now experiencing happened in the original too. This is where having HarvesteR on the team would have been beneficial I think.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.