Name Your Children After Kerbals.

DGatsby

Which is why job applications should be handled with a measure of rigor similar to scientific double-blind testing. If I conduct a job interview, I want the person's voice distorted, their name blacked-out on the resume, and they should be behind frosted glass. All I want is their qualifications. Hell, make them converse with me over an instant messenger, so I could only potentially judge them based on their grammar, or lack of it (which would be a valuable indicator of whether or not they can write well, which is an important skill).

Behind frosted glass? Then you would still be able to tell if their fat or not and allow for anti fat discrimination.

It might not be a bad thing though since it might let you know they are lazy. I've put on 5kg by being lazy over the last year.

Which is why job applications should be handled with a measure of rigor similar to scientific double-blind testing. If I conduct a job interview, I want the person's voice distorted, their name blacked-out on the resume, and they should be behind frosted glass. All I want is their qualifications. Hell, make them converse with me over an instant messenger, so I could only potentially judge them based on their grammar, or lack of it (which would be a valuable indicator of whether or not they can write well, which is an important skill).

Your proposed selection method will likely never work in the real world. Effectiveness in a role is not entirely based on qualifications or experience alone (especially only grammar). Jeeze...

EDIT: Oh and Btw... back in the early 80s I hired a hugely FAT (350 lbs +) dude who had poor grammar but HE WAS THE MOST FANTASTIC DATA ARCHITECT I EVER MET. So there. His name was Bill. He's dead now. Not because he was fat, but due to a wasp sting and anaphylactic shock. I hired him because I met him in person. I liked him. He was an amazing person.

Edited by Wallygator

Your proposed selection method will likely never work in the real world. Effectiveness in a role is not entirely based on qualifications or experience alone (especially only grammar). Jeeze...

EDIT: OH and Btw... back in the early 80s I hired a hugely FAT (350 lbs +) dude who had poor grammar but HE WAS THE MOST FANTASTIC DATA ARCHITECT I EVER MET. So there.

nedry!

If I get pets, the first one will be Jeb and the second Kirrim

nedry!

If I get pets, the first one will be Jeb and the second Kirrim

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

EDIT: Oh the meme regarding Dennis Nedry. I get it. Sorry - Bill was better than that.

Edited by Wallygator

I was actually thinking that I could name my children after the planets. Because red hair runs in my family, there is a good enough chance that one of my children may be named Duna. It all depends on how much of a classic KSP eventually becomes. Is it to be remembered as well as Spore or as well as SimCity? If I still hear about KSP every once in a while when I'm in my 30s, then I will know.

I was actually thinking that I could name my children after the planets. Because red hair runs in my family, there is a good enough chance that one of my children may be named Duna. It all depends on how much of a classic KSP eventually becomes. Is it to be remembered as well as Spore or as well as SimCity? If I still hear about KSP every once in a while when I'm in my 30s, then I will know.

Hey GregroxMun, I'm well past my thirties and I hear about KSP everyday...wait...never mind.

• 11 months later...
On 3.6.2015 at 11:38 PM, uglyduckling81 said:

[hiring and seeing body shape] It might not be a bad thing though since it might let you know they are lazy. I've put on 5kg by being lazy over the last year.

Good logic!  Go get yourself fired and not rehired until you are slim to the point of anorexia, because you obviously slack off on the job all the time --- just see your waistline!

Next up: "Smoking does not cause health problems, I am smoking and one of the very few lucky ones to get old without health problems. QED." and "I once heard of an immigrant/dark-skinned person/someone following that-and-that religion who was a small time crook.  Therefore all non-native/differently looking/religious people are --- at least --- mass murderers."

On 2/3/2015 at 3:38 AM, bonyetty said:

Been there done that, almost. My so Isaac was born almost 18months ago. I suggested the name Isaac to my wife about 19 months ago as it is the long form of Ike. So their you have it my son is named after a moon in a video game!

He's also named after one of the most important and influential scientists in human history. I think that bears even more meaning than KSP (no offense to KSP)

On 6/3/2015 at 0:04 PM, theend3r said:

I would google that first if I were you.

Yuri Gagarin comes to mind (first human in space), but yeah, unfortunately there's another meaning to the word "yuri".

I'm *this* far from getting "Kirk" on our A-list of preferred child names, she doesn't know why yet, so shhhhhhh!

5 hours ago, Xavven said:

...unfortunately there's another meaning to the word "yuri".

Really? Not aware of anything...but I've been around long enough to know I don't want to know...I'll add that to the list of things never to google.

Edited by p1t1o

5 hours ago, Xavven said:

Yuri Gagarin comes to mind (first human in space), but yeah, unfortunately there's another meaning to the word "yuri".

Oddly enough, it's also Japan to have "Yuri" as a woman's name. Granted its meaning is Lily, but I honestly rank that worse than Dick on the "Horrible names to give your kid" scale.

11 hours ago, Xavven said:

He's also named after one of the most important and influential scientists in human history. I think that bears even more meaning than KSP (no offense to KSP)

When did you speak to my wife! :oNot true. Yes he has the same name as Mr Newton but the facts are, he really was named after a moon in a video game. :rolleyes::kiss: :wink:

Oh and how cool. "I want to be a astronaut with wings" my now almost 3 year old Isaac told me two days ago. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.