Duna Mastery Challenge - from Fly-bys to Settlements

OJT

HJHWLwO.jpg

I visited various celestial bodies, both in stock and modded KSP 1, and yet Duna is the place I find myself always returning to: relatively small dV required to reach it, enough gravity for quick surface traversal, atmosphere thin enough to allow brutal reentries but at the same time just so thick enough to fly and even land planes. Pretty much everything I could do on Duna I did it: from simple fly-bys to non-refuelable SSTOs to even circumnavigating the entire planet on land

With the release of KSP 2, total redesign of Duna and (future) addition of all the new game mechanics, I plan to again thoroughly explore the Red Planet. But, instead of doing it all myself, I decided to share the fun with others!

Proudly introducing...

9NcWsFB.jpg

The Mastery thread will consist of various challenges/achievements that you will need to complete in order to get on the respective list. Challenges must be done in order from start to finish. Depending on the future updates and new gameplay mechanics new challenges will be added, or the old ones adjusted. Rules might also be modified accordingly

Rules:

• Usage of potential physics exploits is forbidden: no cheats or Kraken drives of any kind
  • If you use any mods that affect stock gameplay (whether it is new parts, changed rigidity configs or otherwise), state them. These submissions will be marked as Modded
  • General construction of the vessels is up to you: use any part you want, as long as you keep within the broad requirements of each challenge (satellites must have antennas, Rovers must have wheels, you get the idea)
  • All crafts must be launched from Kerbin (unless specified)
  • Post proofs of your mission: screenshots or videos. If you have a lot of screenshots, place them under a spoiler
  • Don't mix up the missions: there must be one submission per mission and the missions must be flown one at a time
  • State the Game Version that the mission was flown on
  • If you have concerns or questions about the ruling - ask away!

Let's get down to the Challenges. And before you ask: most of the Challenge names are inspired by various works of fiction about Mars :)

1. Destination Duna

Pretty straightforward: build an Unmanned Probe and perform a fly-by of Duna. Very broad definition of "Probe" here: you don't need to have antennas or means to generate electricity. As long as it has a Probe Core and it fly-bys Duna - you're in

2. Otherworldly Connection

Build an Unmanned Satellite and enter Duna orbit. Satellite must have an antenna strong enough to reach Kerbin and have means to generate power. Take Ike's SOI into consideration when you plan the orbit!

3. Transmitting Live From Duna

Set up a Relay Satellite constellation in Duna's orbit. There must be at least 3 satellites in the constellation. Each Satellite must have a Relay antenna strong enough to reach Kerbin and have means to generate power. You can either launch new satellites or add some to the one you've sent in Challenge 2, as long as the Satellite from Challenge 2 satisfies the aforementioned requirements

4. First Landing

Launch an Unmanned Lander (like Viking) and land it intact on Duna. Lander must have an antenna that can reach the Relay satellites, means to generate electricity and some sort of landing legs. Whether you choose to use already provided lander legs or make some of your own from structural parts is up to you

5. Desolation Road

Design an Unmanned Rover, send it to Duna and demonstrate its functionality by covering some distance in it. Rover must have an antenna that can reach the Relay satellites, means to generate electricity and at least 3 wheels

6. Bring It Home

Design an Unmanned Lander that can land on Duna and then subsequently return it intact to Kerbin. If the Lander is multi-stage, the stage with Probe Core must be returned. Otherwise the requirements are the same as in Challenge 4

7. Strangers in a Strange Land

Land a Kerbal (or Kerbals) on Duna and then bring him (or them) back. The method (Direct ascent vs. Orbit rendezvous) is up to your choice. If you send multiple Kerbals, all of them must return home: leave no one stranded!

8. Come Fly With Me

Design a Duna Plane and demonstrate its ability to navigate its skies. Plane must have wing parts and be able to land and take off horizontally. Plane can either be Manned or Unmanned. If Manned, all Kerbals must later return home (either via Plane or other means). If Unmanned, the Plane must have an antenna to reach the Relays and have means to generate electricity. Extra kudos if it can return intact back to Kerbin

More to be added...

Good luck and have fun! :)

Edited by OJT

As is tradition, I will kick off my own challenge thread with my submission :ph34r:

Aoy1Y7I.jpg

A relatively simple Launch Vehicle and Probe with way more dV than it would ever need. But I played it safe, since I am still getting used to revamped controls and glitchy trajectory indicators

Spoiler

qrD3uZK.jpg

ri7bTFo.jpg

ylYEpmz.jpg

Encountering Duna and therefore completing the first challenge

Spoiler

m124S9U.jpg

lKUWNHG.jpg

1. Destination Duna (version 0.1.0.0)

Been a while since I've been to Duna, should be fun!

Mission documentation:

Spoiler

yFvB1Yo.png

OiJt6ak.png

dZ4xuHP.png

P.S. I now understand what you mean by "glitchy trajectory indicators."

2. Otherworldly Connection (still on 0.1.0.0)

I can't help myself, I did another one. This time definitely relying on my ability to ignore the UI and just 'eyeball it.'

Mission documentation:

Spoiler

2HcKq77.png

T71z3qX.png

iBRVQ1N.png

Here would be challenges 1-3 for me. I stacked 3 satellites on top of each other and then broke them apart once I encountered Duna. ;)

IURQl5J.png

flKukqM.png

A bug (out of control rotation) stopped me from changing the orbit of the third satellite all too much, but hey, the orbits are slightly different, so that should count right? ... RIGHT? :-)

RiX0Nmg.png

And the final glamour shot of the lovely Duna:

Px0awxA.png

Edited by epaga
forgot one image, corrected autocorrect

7. Strangers in a strange land (version 0.1.0.0.20892)

I know this violates "challenges must be done in order" - feel free to list me with a comment or not at all. If you'd rather I remove this post, that's fine, too - your challenge, your rules.

Spoiler

Launch
oBqefyM.jpeg

Orbit Kerbin
gBVT5BZ.jpeg

Arrived at Duna
SbqBwwc.jpeg

Deorbit
bY3zrpo.jpeg

Landing
BIxCp3d.jpeg

t8rZQiL.jpeg

O9JSk3R.jpeg

Stranded on the surface
8ooNDWi.jpeg

Launch the rescue craft
NJuXW7J.jpeg

cpElYAL.jpeg

Enter Duna orbit and correct for equatorial
bt3f2nH.jpeg

Deorbit
8dxY3A5.jpeg

u2nFF1s.jpeg

Target landing site
l3n0ODE.jpeg

Landing
BZJqCxB.jpeg

Close enough
mRk9zva.jpeg

Time to wake up, walk over there
9UgEVzs.jpeg

I can see it!
oLytteQ.jpeg

Good thing the lander has ladders, it's tall
7j1P07y.jpeg

Return transfer looks wrong while in Duna SOI
axqPA8J.jpeg

After Duna SOI exit we see the real trajectory
GLMtIe6.jpeg

Correction burn 1 was after Duna SOI exit, after Kerbin SOI entry we see its result
5d7bAOA.jpeg

Correction burn 2 shortly after Kerbin SOI entry. Result
oMgfvQa.jpeg

We're almost home
ZXiRGPU.jpeg

eEAInJe.jpeg

Landing
vD87RMB.jpeg

tgpmtJk.jpeg

Completed
gwOYXih.jpeg

That's quite a response this challenge has received! Looking forward for more submissions in the future. In the meanwhile, the ones that've posted so far...

@Jvader Looks good. Both of your challenges will be added to the list. You can proceed with the next if you wish, but just for the future: add some more screenshots :)

@Shinzo Same thing: I would like to see more screenshots in future missions. But seeing that you posted valid results, I'm gonna allow these submissions on trust basis

@epaga I don't quite understand what exactly you did from your mission report. If you did the Challenge 1 with three fly-by drones - that's fine. If you tried to jump straight to Challenge 3 - I'm afraid I can't put that into the list until you complete the first 2 missions. And even then - I don't see the entire orbits of the sats and I am pretty sure that the Relay antennas they have are not strong enough to reach Kerbin, so it would still be an invalid submission

@Draradech That's a really nice mission report! But the point of the mastery is in the incremental progression, with each task more daring than the previous one. You don't have to remove the post, but if you want to get into the lists, I'd like that you do the previous 6 challenges. If you're willing to do them and post them here - I will add your Challenge 7 report aswell ;)

And I've started on this.  Mod List:

• Maneuver Node Controller
  • Micro-Engineer
  • Sticky Orbit Markers

And, like everyone else at this point, I'm on version 0.1.

I - Destination Duna

Spoiler

This was easy enough.  Built a ship with 3 stacked probes on it, and then had to time warp to the right point to be able to get an encounter with Duna.  Burned far more fuel than I would have liked during launch due to bugs regarding control of ships.  The ship spinning uncontrollably during launch is a huge problem.  And yes, I've tried the work-around to remove gimbaling from the engines and put a bunch of reaction wheels on the upper stage; didn't help.  Had to hold prograde on launch until I hit 60km before starting the gravity turn.  Which made the launch arc bad.  But I got into LKO, burned for Duna, and got an encounter.

4NGGiWJ.png

t7c5UF3.png

x38VE5w.png

That should satisfy the parameters of this challenge.  I hope.

II - Otherworldy Connection

Spoiler

Getting into orbit of Duna was easier said than done thanks to the map controls.  Every time you leave the map and view the ship and come back all of your orbit markers are gone, and flight paths are missing.  It was REALLY hard for me to get into orbit of Duna, both due to this AND the shoddy encounter I ended up getting.  I am so used to having MJ do the work for me that I've honestly forgotten how to do it here.  Or, rather, I rely on MJ to do the initial LKO burn, which really set me back here.  Anyhow, I finally did get into a decent orbit with the stacked probes.  And I got a decent shot of Duna with photo-bombing me.

HKDBpyy.png

IZguhlY.png

And that should satisfy the parameters of this part of the challenge.

And that's where I'm now stuck.  I've got a pair of Communotron 88-88's on each probe, but as soon as I decouple them I lose the ability to control the decoupled one.  I can continue to to control whichever one I had control on before the decouple, but the one I decouple no longer works.  I'm not sure why; if I can control one, and the range on the antennae is like ~100 Gm...what the frak?  Is this a bug, or do I need to use a different antenna?  Perhaps put a satellite in solar orbit?  I'm honestly lost on this one; this should work.  In fact, I'm gonna go test this build out in KSP1 and see what happens.

EDIT:  Confirmed it's a bug.

Spoiler

Rebuilt the ship in KSP1:

• 3 probes, stacked up on each other
    • RC-L01
    • 2x Gigantor
    • 2x Communotron 88-88
    • 2x Z-4K
    • X200-8
    • Poodle
    • TD-25
  • Mk7A nose cone
  • TS-25
  • ADTP-2-3
  • 2x S3-14400
  • Mammoth
  • 6 radial tanks
    • 2x X200-64
    • RS-AD-SL 800
    • Mk3B Slanted nose cone
    • Mainsail

Launched to Duna; had WAY more dV than I needed here.  Got into orbit, let the satellites go, and...well, a picture says a thousand words.

FhiGwWN.png

K4qA5Na.png

You can see the green lines from 2 of the satellites back to Kerbin in the Tracking Station.  Not entirely sure why these antennae didn't work in KSP2.  I'll be taking video of this in KSP2 tomorrow morning and reporting it; there are several things happening that need to be discussed, and speaking through it on video will help.  I'll probably have to relaunch with different satellites to get this to work.

Edited by Scarecrow71

Destination Duna (version 0.1.0.0)

Very well thought out challenge @OJT!  I've just completed the first mission.  Having to negotiate and design around known bugs was interesting but I didn't let myself get frustrated, and without too much hyperbole I've just had one of the more emotional experiences I've ever had in KSP.  The audio and visual combination of an atmosphere skimming flyby of Duna was nothing short of breath-taking and I shed a tear.  Absolutely massive congratulations to the sound and visual designers for KSP2! Here's the mission report, and here's a few of the better shots from the mission in a spoiler:

Spoiler

Ceg1cjr.jpg

Lift off drone photography courtesy of  probodobobobobododobobodyne images inc.

h9C3QxJ.jpg

Faring separation went smoothly thanks to the increased ejection force afforded by the Kerlington fairing.

aP3TAD8.jpg

Composite image made by trailing camera supplied by Integrated integrals

rh7tWPf.jpg

Postcard from Duna made possible by the Steadler Engineering Corps imaging camera board the probe.

Thanks for putting a challenge together that gave me the motivation to push through some of the more egregious bugs.  I'll be returning for the second mission, and hopefully the rest!

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet
inserted space

On 3/1/2023 at 7:11 PM, OJT said:

@Draradech That's a really nice mission report! But the point of the mastery is in the incremental progression, with each task more daring than the previous one. You don't have to remove the post, but if you want to get into the lists, I'd like that you do the previous 6 challenges. If you're willing to do them and post them here - I will add your Challenge 7 report aswell ;)

I get what you're aiming for here. I really like that. (To be honest, my entry for 7 was flown before this challenge was up). I started a new campaign for this challenge to do them in order. Not quite sure if the state of the game currently is up to it (commnet status for example is not really helpful - my probe for challenge 1 that probably shouldn't have had connection shows full control).

Anyway, here is my entry for 1 - Destination Duna (version 0.1.0.0.20892):

Spoiler

Probe in payload bay
yiDreEz.jpg

Launch
ERAsOVD.jpg

MECO, prepare for payload separation
d8cr7Th.jpg

Payload separation confirmed
qiS4KcO.jpg

Parking orbit
gWK03bZ.jpg

Maneuver plan (just enough dv to get a fly-by)
uA395Wq.jpg

Executed
GqJtxVT.jpg

Goodbye Kerbin
dfivqMX.jpg

Duna fly-by trajectory
7dtYK3l.jpg

Final orbit
3YeSFEZ.jpg

qHNr9Rz.jpg

And here is 2 - Otherworldly Connection:

Spoiler

Satellite in payload bay
pkIzt0i.jpg

Launch
mO6QP2c.jpg

Payload seperation
7daw6o1.jpg

Parking orbit
ctXaRFk.jpg

5PVDccE.jpg

deaHTaI.jpg

gdyDL20.jpg

Transfer maneuver plan
YSpuKiL.jpg

Execution
QfvKpiI.jpg

Mid-way course correction done
tgpavuX.jpg

In Duna SOI, flip encounter from retrograde to prograde
iBm9P3h.jpg

5l25LKY.jpg

Circularization planned
S4YNx5O.jpg

Executed
boCyzHI.jpg

Satellite in Duna orbit
pYwp2Ng.jpg

s2aI8dL.jpg

Edited by Draradech

On 2/28/2023 at 11:11 PM, epaga said:

Here would be challenges 1-3 for me. I stacked 3 satellites on top of each other and then broke them apart once I encountered Duna. ;)

IURQl5J.png

flKukqM.png

A bug (out of control rotation) stopped me from changing the orbit of the third satellite all too much, but hey, the orbits are slightly different, so that should count right? ... RIGHT? :-)

RiX0Nmg.png

And the final glamour shot of the lovely Duna:

Px0awxA.png

How did you get this done with the stacked probes?  Did you not get the decouple bug here?  I ask because I tried the same thing and...well, read my post above and see my bug report.

49 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

How did you get this done with the stacked probes?  Did you not get the decouple bug here?  I ask because I tried the same thing and...well, read my post above and see my bug report.

I'm working on part 3 right now. I have a probe core on the transfer stage as well as probe cores on the relay satellites. The transfer stages probe core is the root part. In testing (on the pad) I can decouple the satellites, control stays with the transfer stage. I can switch to the satellites, but they have no control (says it doesn't have commnet connection). But: After a quick save and quick load, I can control all 4 vehicles!

3 minutes ago, Draradech said:

I'm working on part 3 right now. I have a probe core on the transfer stage as well as probe cores on the relay satellites. The transfer stages probe core is the root part. In testing (on the pad) I can decouple the satellites, control stays with the transfer stage. I can switch to the satellites, but they have no control (says it doesn't have commnet connection). But: After a quick save and quick load, I can control all 4 vehicles!

I may try this today (decouple, quick save, quick load) to see if I can control the probes cuz I'd really hate to have to do 3 separate launches here.  I'm also going to check the craft/save game file to see if there is a setting between the one I can control and the ones I can't; maybe the craft file just isn't updating appropriately?

Another batch of submissions I see :ph34r:

@Speeding Mullet @Draradech Your reports look pretty good. I will add them to the lists

@Scarecrow71 Mission 1 looks fine. But I can't accept the Mission 2 report due to reusing the assets of Mission 1. Every Mission must be flown separately with a separate rocket/rockets, so I'm afraid you'll have to redo the Mission 2 properly in order to get into its list. Mission 1 however will be added to the board

1 minute ago, OJT said:

@Scarecrow71 Mission 1 looks fine. But I can't accept the Mission 2 report due to reusing the assets of Mission 1. Every Mission must be flown separately with a separate rocket/rockets, so I'm afraid you'll have to redo the Mission 2 properly in order to get into its list. Mission 1 however will be added to the board

That...is not good.  This will take FOREVER, and I'm not just talking about having to time warp multiple times just to get a Duna intercept.  Why did you decide to have this done this way?  Also, if we have to do them separately, are we allowed to launch multiple rockets at one time?  Again, time warping for a Duna intercept takes 2-3 years in game time for each intercept.  Not that time is an issue, but having to do multiple launches takes up 30-45 minutes of real time every launch.

With that said, I'll start working on mission 2 while I wait on an answer to the above questions.

15 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

That...is not good.  This will take FOREVER, and I'm not just talking about having to time warp multiple times just to get a Duna intercept.  Why did you decide to have this done this way?  Also, if we have to do them separately, are we allowed to launch multiple rockets at one time?  Again, time warping for a Duna intercept takes 2-3 years in game time for each intercept.  Not that time is an issue, but having to do multiple launches takes up 30-45 minutes of real time every launch.

With that said, I'll start working on mission 2 while I wait on an answer to the above questions.

If you wish you can launch multiple rockets for different missions at the same time. The important part is that each rocket is designed for one specific mission and, subsequently, mission reports must also be done separately, even if all rockets flew at the same time. So no, you don't have to fly one mission at a time and then time warp couple of years forward until next Duna transfer window. But you must design and fly separate crafts for each mission and make the mission reports accordingly

As for why I constructed the challenge this way:

1.  It resembles the progress of real life Mars exploration
  2. It allows the players to familiarize themselves with Duna, with each mission adding something more atop the previous one. At first just getting in the vicinity of the planet, then getting into orbit, then landings etc. This way you can iron out the basics before the more complex gameplay elements will release
  3. Developers of KSP 2 made a lot of effort in making the game more accessible for the masses by implementing new tutorials and such. And with expected influx of new players that are not too familiar with rocketry, I thought that a structured challenge thread will give these new players a good reference point on what they should do in what order. At the same time, if you're a KSP1 veteran and want to fast-track the challenges, you can also do it like I said above: just fly multiple missions at the same time and document them separately

Now you might ask if all challenges will be structured like that, and the answer is: not exactly. There will be additions, but I will also include optional or bonus challenges that are not explicitly require the completion of previous ones. But this will become more clear, both to you and me, as new additions to the game will be released

I hope I covered all the points :confused:

Edited by OJT

This is a lot of fun, thank you for hosting this challenge!

Here's 3 - Transmitting Live from Duna:

Spoiler

Relay satellites in launcher
WanLbJo.jpg

Launch
ziXrikW.jpg

Fairing separation
9tDUpmB.jpg

Activate transfer stage
BYU3hG6.jpg

Parking orbit
kCx8RlF.jpg

Maneuver plan
rx64Ixa.jpg

Executed
3w45bbw.jpg

Fine-tuned after Kerbin SOI exit
mwovk8z.jpg

At Duna, set PE for target altitude
Q7TJOeV.jpg

Circularize
CAOofOT.jpg

Ready for deployment
qIhDYhQ.jpg

Relay sats drifting apart after decoupling and solar panel deployment
Xlx4HWp.jpg

Set up phasing
DtH0Ury.jpg

Phasing and fine-tuning orbits
CkVypZ6.jpg

Done
jz5BsSZ.jpg

R2REY4f.jpg

zpj0wwl.jpg

PAsbofV.jpg

Edited by Draradech

II:  Otherworldly Connection

So, based on the rules, I had to do this one again.  Not a big deal...except that, for some reason, SAS did not work.  AT ALL.  It started during launch when pitch/roll/yaw didn't respond to any keyboard inputs, and neither did turning off throttle.  Restart cleared this up...but then as the mission wore on, SAS wouldn't hold a maneuver node to save its - or the probe's - life.  Prograde, Retrograde, Maneuver, SAS Hold...none of it worked.  I ended up doing multiple small burns as part of each planned maneuver to get things to work.  It was such a pain in the behind.  See, I could click Prograde and the craft would spin to that location - and then bounce around it like a yo-yo until it decided to stop - but then once I hit throttle?  No, I want to go this way instead.  Or over there.  Or perhaps you meant sideways through the planet?  Ugh.

Anyhow, I did finally get this done.  After about 4 hours of playing with stuff.  4 FREAKING HOURS.  That's just the launch and flight; the build took 10 minutes.  Sigh.

BwXhORI.png

pipoPbb.png

R99oHPJ.png

Is9gth5.png

I'll start working on Mission 3...later.  After I've had enough alcohol to wipe the issues in this one from permanent memory.

Edited by Scarecrow71

4 - First Landing

Spoiler

Lander and transfer stage in fairing
F8dnIac.jpg

Launch
xu10amT.jpg

Fairing sep
KBgDj8A.jpg

Transfer stage sep
GkwS8EO.jpg

Parking orbit
exGFofv.jpg

5Bma0OH.jpg

Maneuver planned
YOX6S8u.jpg

Executed
WxXDztB.jpg

And fine-tuned before Duna SOI entry
5jmBLLP.jpg

Change encounter to higher inclination, I want to land near the ice sheet
o3liUdq.jpg

sHqydwW.jpg

Deorbit burn
7ZSc2Fh.jpg

Decouple transfer stage
cZTeWYv.jpg

Landing
Vrmfivr.jpg

EfP3F5U.jpg

ZuGIP1C.jpg

V8DGrPV.jpg

Relay Sats are visible just over the horizon
2GaNuqy.jpg

20Azp8b.jpg

More submissions for me to review &)

@Scarecrow71 The game really seems to kick your butt. My experience with KSP2 was, comparatively, much smoother. As a staunch teetotaler I definitely don't endorse your cravings for alcohol, but what I can acknowledge is your success in Challenge 2: it will be added to the list! :)

@Draradech You seem to make quick work of the challenges. It will be not long before you get the first six challenges under the helm. Then only the 8th one will be left, since you already have done the Challenge 7 (albeit prematurely). In the meanwhile, your submissions have been added to the lists. Keep it up!

As for me, I didn't really have much free time to contribute to the challenge myself. But my submissions are coming :ph34r:

2 hours ago, OJT said:

More submissions for me to review &)

@Scarecrow71 The game really seems to kick your butt. My experience with KSP2 was, comparatively, much smoother. As a staunch teetotaler I definitely don't endorse your cravings for alcohol, but what I can acknowledge is your success in Challenge 2: it will be added to the list! :)

@Draradech You seem to make quick work of the challenges. It will be not long before you get the first six challenges under the helm. Then only the 8th one will be left, since you already have done the Challenge 7 (albeit prematurely). In the meanwhile, your submissions have been added to the lists. Keep it up!

As for me, I didn't really have much free time to contribute to the challenge myself. But my submissions are coming :ph34r:

I am wondering if the reaction wheels and/or the wings are messing with things.  I know there are some physics changes coming, so this may be part of that.  But I've got three craft in LKO right now for the third challenge, which again took forever.  But I'm working through it.

On a side note, I may do this one in KSP1 just because.  In addition, of course.

@OJT

And I am going to shelve this challenge for now.  Why?

1. I'm tired of fighting with SAS.  Every time I go to do a burn, SAS refuses to hold my trajectory, bouncing all over the place and forcing me to do multiple small burns instead of just one burn.  This is a major flaw/bug in the game.
  2. I'm tired of getting near an SOI and trying to time warp close...only to have the game think I want to time warp to beyond the SOI.  I spent 3 hours this morning doing a bunch of burns for one craft (see 1 above) to finally get an intersect with Duna...only to have the game time warp me 5 years later instead of 5 hours.  All that work, just gone.  And the save that I did after finallyl getting the intersect?  Corrupted upon load.
  3. I had to launch not 1 ship with 3 probes, but 3 separate ships.  Why?  Because when I decouple something, the thing I decouple is uncontrollable and spins until the kraken eats it.
  4. Speaking of launching ships, physics is broken during flight.  I normally start a gravity turn at 100 m/s, turning to 80ish degrees, then at an altitude of 4,000 meters I start the full turn until I hit 45 degrees.  In KSP2, if I am outside the prograde marker during ascent even by a hair, the ship turns towards the ground and I have to revert.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, it took me multiple hours to get these 3 ships into orbit for this challenge.

I am shelving KSP2 until the first patch comes out.  The game has potential, but I simply cannot play having to fight the controls every step of the way.  As I mentioned above, I'm going to do this challenge in KSP1.  I know it won't count for completing this challenge in KSP2, but I'll post my results here so you can see how this works in KSP1.

5 - Desolation Road

This one didn't go as easy as the others. First the rocket had some sort of drag problem - hard to control and burned more fuel than expected on the way to orbit. Then the last stage was unbalanced. The parachute didn't open reliably. The lander spun wildly hanging from the parachute.

But - once landed the rover was fine and exceeded my expectations. Full report:

Spoiler

Rover, Landing harness and transfer stage in fairing.
Ye5aasH.jpg

Launch.
Qs09V90.jpg

This rocket has some drag problem - it was hard to keep control and burned a lot more fuel than expected to get here.
srQYr8M.jpg

Parking orbit, with about 600 m/s dv less available than planned - will need to do direct entry at Duna.
fo7v51K.jpg

Planned manuever.
EtHKvl2.jpg

Rocket spun out of control on last stage - could only burn at about 20% throttle - then overburned the maneuver as well.
qJ6MhBZ.jpg

But nothing that can't be fixed with a mid-course correction burn.
LMvDqkQ.jpg

A bit of radial in and normal and we have a nice direct entry close to the equator.
UR3KzuO.jpg

Ready for atmospheric entry.
xxNd8Hq.jpg

Landing.
10I08J2.jpg

H4duA82.jpg

Landing stage hanging from the parachute was spinning all over the place, landed on the parachute housing, then flipped again. No rover parts damaged.
dxGwymi.jpg

Landing harness away!
Hujs3xW.jpg

Let's see if we can drive over to the crater rim.
Vog9Cf0.jpg

Rover drives well, maybe we can even climb up there?
hiaAovS.jpg

These wheels are powerful!
yfaH3UE.jpg

Can we get to the top?
LbxCUOS.jpg

Yes.

pcplVlo.jpg