Fairing separation.
BrC6h51.jpg

Decouple booster.
wbKMZaY.jpg

Initial trajectory.
aXoMmW4.jpg

Mid-course correction.
Qg5lTeD.jpg

A bit of radial in, and we have a nice PE for circularization.
CODCYlX.jpg

In orbit.
wZU6pRc.jpg

Deorbit burn.
JXHoe3J.jpg

Decouple transfer stage.
Z4nSl3C.jpg

Ready for entry.
vpYNFN1.jpg

Landing.
gubupkJ.jpg

btZKiCA.jpg

Lander on Duna surface.
lcxhRP3.jpg

I tried to warp for transfer window, but after returning to the lander, it was 212m below the ground.
xyjjFAI.jpg

So we are launching before transfer window warp.
csTVrWj.jpg

Back in orbit.
LZgiQej.jpg

Now we can warp for transfer window.
FXojHpx.jpg

The maneuver looks totally wrong while in Dunas SOI.
tygeASl.jpg

As does the predicted trajectory after burn.
neXI0Zh.jpg

But after SOI exit, we see the real trajectory. Not bad for eyeballing the transfer.
8U9UHmU.jpg

Only 50 m/s correction needed to get an encounter.
M6orf2t.jpg

Correction burn done.
l2ZttHT.jpg

At Kerbin, we can't be picky with our entry location, we're almost out of fuel.
qClTXjY.jpg

Ready for re-entry.
kIvFxyB.jpg

In the upper atmosphere.
DvOU8Ty.jpg

Landing.
StjMMM3.jpg

Good. We aren't sinking.
MsMkpIh.jpg

So we can have a look at daytime also.
nShJ9KG.jpg

Not that far from KSC.
FWOGmHE.jpg

zUR81xE.jpg

Other Worldly Connection (Version 0.1.0.0)

Here's the full mission report for my second mission to Duna.  It was completely bug free and after its recent success with a flyby mission, starts the Mullet Dyne rocket program on its mission proper of maintaining a permanent presence at Duna long into the future.

Here's a postcard from what was a spectacularly visual feast of a mission:

xCi0yeL.jpg

Image courtesty of C7 Aerospace Division - Why go up when you can crash equally well going sideways

Another fun mission, and on to the next!

SM

This thread is popping off :confused: will this finally be enough to get TOTM?

@Draradech Nice work, will be adding both to the lists. And since you've already done Challenge 7, I will honor my word and add it aswell. Only Challenge 8 left: curious how you're going to tackle that

@Sp1f Welcome to the thread! First two submissions going into the lists

@Speeding Mullet The solar panel looks a bit overpowered for the satellite of this size, but either way, solid mission report &)

@Scarecrow71 Yeaaah. Sad that the game has been treating you this rough. We will be waiting for your comeback :)

10 hours ago, OJT said:

@Scarecrow71 Yeaaah. Sad that the game has been treating you this rough. We will be waiting for your comeback :)

Well, I'm back.  I wasn't gone long.  :)

I realized that KSP2 != and =/= as KSP1.  All the things I built and flew there may not necessarily fly here, and so I had to take a step back and rethink how I built stuff.  Like, how did I ever complete the Caveman Challenge in KSP1?  Well, by building small.  Once I stripped off the largest engines I was using and scaled back, flying became easier.  I'm not trying to push a grape with a jet engine any longer (as an example), and so ascent became easier.  Holding SAS was still an issue, but that's resolved with spamming RCS thrusters up and down the side of the rocket.  It's odd to me because I didn't need to do that in KSP1...but again, this ain't KSP1.

I've got a rocket headed towards the Kerbolar SOI, with 2 and 3 to follow.  I'll have an update today I hope!

I have a manned plane at Duna that I hoped to land there and get back to the KSC runway afterwards. That's not happening. I can't land a plane that heavy on Duna, and giving it even bigger wings would make it even more impossible to launch in the first place.

I'll try an unmanned plane tomorrow instead, as it can be far lighter if it doesn't need to return.
I dumped the drop tanks and most of the fuel, plane can now land (and start and re-land). Building the rescue mission for Bobson now.

It worked!

Mission report for 8 - Come Fly With Me

Plane Mission (pilot stranded on Duna):

Spoiler

Getting a plane up there is a challenge. Pointing straight up for a long time helps.
ug2Jvsm.jpg

Solid boosters done at 12km, still pointing up.
h2oqsRf.jpg

Side boosters almost done (remaining fuel transferred to core stage via resource manager).
0ybfdH8.jpg

Side boosters go.
y2gUCKW.jpg

Core stage decouple.
zw8h97J.jpg

Parking orbit.
mYRKK9B.jpg

Transfer planned.
rbWIwWi.jpg

Transfer executed.
l0RwZb0.jpg

Finetune before arrival.
V74k8JN.jpg

Set PE for circularization.
N3Qe9wF.jpg

Circularized.
hC2ohsV.jpg

Deorbit burn.
FGKuKW8.jpg

The plane is too heavy to land. Bobson will need a rescue mission. Drop the external tanks and transfer most of the fuel into the transfer stage to drop as well.
ldeU9Ay.jpg

The now very light plane glides well.
zrubuL4.jpg

Last-minute turn over to the right to avoid the hills.
BujTQIN.jpg

Landed.
6RYHGsL.jpg

yaJRXVq.jpg

Going for a short flight.
lmWBrOO.jpg

Take off.
gzZTcMI.jpg

Turn around.
VGtkiwV.jpg

Back to the flat area.
8vqfeLi.jpg

Touchdown speed ~25ms/s
EF8YO7u.jpg

Landed again.
jL8TmkG.jpg

StIItCG.jpg

Rescue Mission to get our pilot Bobson back home safely:

Spoiler

Rescue rocket in VAB.
EJMHY10.jpg

Launch.
l4JrOl4.jpg

Those plumes at night are bright.
MpFPP6c.jpg

Almost in orbit.
hThKlGY.jpg

Drop the core stage.
SBtqmGs.jpg

Parking orbit.
Ss0TWdc.jpg

Planned transfer.
BqaH971.jpg

Burn done.
9Oqaisg.jpg

Correction burn to push descending node to encounter.
wuetW6b.jpg

Deorbit, going directly over the plane.
N1l6JvB.jpg

Deorbit, going directly over the plane.
HVz1Is7.jpg

Coast down.
GD2JZXK.jpg

Going to overshoot.
ph3yRv6.jpg

Doesn't matter, the plane can come here.
Av5Tr5Y.jpg

This is fine.
HxoAgKb.jpg

Prepare short flight to the rescue vehicle.
YmXZr8o.jpg

On our way.
1JjyKtM.jpg

Again, overshoot.
7xQeBM2.jpg

We're just going to drive there.
PsIdBAb.jpg

Plane works on the ground as well.
77qU6rZ.jpg

We're here.
jnDj6xw.jpg

Going up tp the rescue capsule.
Z2kenM4.jpg

Launch.
0vdm094.jpg

Circularized.
R0BFUXn.jpg

Encounter was more expensive than expected, but it'll work.
qeppzdb.jpg

A bit of finetuning.
IcPb5Bz.jpg

We're aerocapturing at 40km PE.
iTCg5yv.jpg

Reentry and get rid of the last stage.
UFxZtLE.jpg

Landing.
Oxr4CYh.jpg

aVv5fxY.jpg

Bobson is back home safely.
FmfkG5x.jpg

jJfw4Pa.jpg

Edited by Draradech

@OJT

Duna III:  Transmitting Live From Duna

Before I give the images, I need to explain what happened here.  Simply put, I was trying to play KSP1 in KSP2.  And that doesn't work.  Craft that I can build and fly in KSP1 no longer work here, primarily because of new physics and the lack of MechJeb.  So I had to take a step back and relive my Caveman days, simplifying craft and re-learning how to fly properly.  Once I got over that hump, the challenge started to become a bit easier.

The second thing I had to do here was to slow down.  There is no time limit; there is no race.  This is a marathon, not a sprint.  And so I realized that I didn't have to shoot all 3 probes at Duna at once; I could send one, make sure that one was ok, and then the next, and so on.  There is no need to strap all 3 to one rocket and fling that into the cosmos.

Once I finally had both of those thoughts in my brain, I was able to continue with the challenge.  And I give you the constellation orbit, 3 satellites around Duna.  I'll be honest in saying that I could have gotten the constellation a bit tighter than it is; 2 of the satellites are a bit closer to one another than I'd like, and I may go back and fiddle with the orbits a bit.  But I have 3 of them in orbit around Duna.

Spoiler

cNuSlJD.png

nARAF2P.png

8OmRlOD.png

d4EEWS4.png

JCKvOF4.png

dx9CmVW.png

1J4R7ro.png

pisCd2n.png

1cUo1Nw.png

2 things about what happened here.

1. After I set the initial orbit/encounter with Duna, I switched from Map view to Vessel view, because...well, I just do that.  But then when I switched back to Map view, the encounter I had plotted changed ever so slightly.  I was able to use the Maneuver Node Controller mod to get back to what I had set previously, but it was really odd that the plotted trajectory changed just by switching from Map to Vessel and back.  Just odd.
  2. The constellation orbit is polar, not equatorial.  This is due to the initial trajectory of the first probe I sent (Duna III-A) being nearly polar.  Like, at about 85 degrees inclination.  So I just eyeballed 90 degrees and went with that.

And now, on to the next part of the challenge!

@OJT

Duna IV:  First Landing

And now the updates are coming in fast and hot.  This is why I fell in love with KSP1, and why I bought into KSP2 in early access.  Moments like yesterday when I finally figured out how to go about flying, and moments like this morning when I landed on Duna.  WITHOUT the help of the computer, by the way.  Came in a bit hard (~8 m/s), and I thought for sure I'd take damage.  But nope, no damage.  Now, the landing gear is in the surface of Duna, so I'm sure it will suffer the fall-through bug.  But I still landed.

Spoiler

cbLAXfT.png

U6RSJaT.png

P48KSQt.png

leCymn8.png

You will notice that the encounter I got with Duna was prior to leaving Kerbin's SOI.  I'm getting pretty good at eyeballing where Duna needs to be for the transfer window.

And now I shall enjoy a frosty root beer before continuing on.

Part 1: Destination Duna

Probe Duna Alpha 1 #0000.001

Objective: Fly-by Duna.

Spoiler

UT 0.163 Probe launched. Parking orbit.

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-09-03-2023-21-15-

UT 0.163 Injection burn to initiate transfer to Duna.
Kerbal-Space-Program-2-09-03-2023-21-20-

UT 0.168 Probe "sailing" to Duna.
Kerbal-Space-Program-2-09-03-2023-21-27-

UT 0.170 Small correction burn to acheive duna intercept.
Kerbal-Space-Program-2-09-03-2023-21-28-

UT 0.399 Probe over Duna south hemisphere. 
Kerbal-Space-Program-2-09-03-2023-21-43-

UT 0.399 Probe trajectory inside Duna's SOI.
Kerbal-Space-Program-2-09-03-2023-21-45-

UT 0.399 Eye candy

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-09-03-2023-21-47-

game version 0.1.0.0.20892

Edited by Uuky
changed Challenge to Part

Part 2: Otherworldly Connection

Probe : Duna Alpha 2 #0002.001

Objective: Orbit Duna and have an antenna able to transmit to Kerbin from Duna's orbit

Spoiler

UT 002.242: Mission Launch

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-09-03-2023-23-02-

UT 002.242: Parking Orbit

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-09-03-2023-23-13-

UT 002.250: Duna's SOI Intercept course

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-10-03-2023-08-48-

UT 002.250: Probe on its way to Duna

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-10-03-2023-09-17-

UT 00.3.125: Entering Duna's SOI

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-10-03-2023-09-20-

UT 003.163: High Above Duna

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-10-03-2023-09-44-

UT 003.167: Orbit around Duna acheived

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-10-03-2023-09-57-

UT 003.167: Eye Candy

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-10-03-2023-09-59-

Game version 0.1.0.0.20892

Edited by Uuky
changed Challenge to Part

6 minutes ago, ChromeDome said:

I. Destination Duna

Hide contents

The launch

https://imgur.com/rddcIAv

Duna flyby and bonus Ike flyby too!

https://imgur.com/UREvzs1

https://imgur.com/UgePsaI

https://imgur.com/UgePsaI

Your money of shot of Duna is pretty sweet.  It looks like Ike is cracked in half!

@OJT

Duna V:  Desolation Road

And I was able to put a rover on Duna.  This is a MAJOR first for me; I've only ever landed a rover on the Mun in KSP1, and at that it was a stroke of pure luck that it happened.  I simply have problems designing a rover and then a craft to take it places.  So to get this done here was a major accomplishment for me.  I will state, though, that once I got the rover moving on Duna...I couldn't get it to stop.  Is there an issue with braking in this game that I've not yet read about?  Either way, the rover is on Duna, and has since tipped over and now needs someone to go get it right-side-up.  But I have shots of it upright!

Spoiler

BYDLjpk.png

cMhnau3.png

yG6zUER.png

5XSbex4.png

Puzqi90.png

c0MhA3W.png

You will notice in the descent shot that the parachutes are deployed but missing.  I was under the impression that there were no atmospheric effects, and yet the chutes aren't there.  Also interestingly enough was that I was able to repack them...but firing them again did nothing.  Oh well; looks like a bug to report!

Anyhow, now I'll be on to #6!

II. Otherworldly Connection

To save fuel and launch mass, I've decided that all the missions except Destination Duna will utilize aerobraking or aerocapture.

Spoiler

Bracing for aerocapture

Screenshot-37.png

In orbit

Screenshot-38.png

This was a really good learning experience for me, it's the first time I've done an aerocapture to save fuel.

Screenshot-38.png

Edited by ChromeDome

IV. First Landing

Game version 0.1.0.0.20892

The mission is quite simple, I just put the ship on a collision course with Duna at the equator and landed there. I used a skycrane style lander to do an unpowered parachuted decent there.

Spoiler

Bracing for entry

image.png

The lander on descent

image.png

Touchdown confirmed!

image.png

image.png

This mission was really fun! Although it was quite simple and short, I had gained a lot of experience on how to build Duna entry vehicles. Definitely need more reaction wheels to prevent the craft from flipping on the aerobrake.

Edited by ChromeDome

Part III: Transmitting Live from Duna

Objective: Surround Duna with a communication satellite constellation. (min 3 with powerfull enough antenna)

Strategy : 3 satellites launched independently because an all-in-one craft was sacrificed multiple times to Kraken. :/

Spoiler

UT 0004.294 Launch of first satellite of constellation. (other launches occured from launch pads 2 & 3.)

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-10-03-2023-18-09-

UT 0004.300: Fleet on its way to Duna.

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-11-03-2023-09-41-

UT 0005.229: Constellation in place.

2 Molnya-like orbits (~55km*6500km) and 1 near-equatorial orbit at ~500km

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-11-03-2023-15-24-

Eye  candy:

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-11-03-2023-14-15-

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-11-03-2023-14-15-

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-11-03-2023-14-32-

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-11-03-2023-14-36-

V. Desolation Road

Game version 0.1.0.0.20892

The debris of the skycrane marks the original landing position of the rover, you can see I've driven some distance to demonstrate its mobility.

Screenshot-50.png

Spoiler

The rover assembly and transfer stage sailing to Duna

Screenshot-47.png

Bracing for aerobrake

Screenshot-48.png

The rover on Duna

Screenshot-50.png

Edited by ChromeDome

Man, I can barely review one submissions when others are being posted :lol: I wonder for how long this activity will be sustained

@Draradech Looks like you're the first one to complete the first 8 challenges, congratulations! Looks like you decided to brute force the Kerbin ascent, but either way the plane works and the kerbonaut is returned home

@Scarecrow71 Seems like you got over the problems you were having (or most of them, at least). Everything so far looks nice and dandy, keep it going

@Uuky Welcome to the thread! Nice mission reports, and you're the first to utilize Molniya orbits for satellites. I imagine executing it was a pain. Kudos

@ChromeDome Another newcomer, welcome! Solid mission reports aswell, but I would ask you to post some more Kerbin screenshots for future missions, that being the launch vehicle, parking orbits etc. Otherwise looks good

As always, all posted missions will be added into the lists

As for me, you've probably noticed that I wasn't participating much in my own challenge thread. IRL stuff doesn't leave much time for games lately, and the times I did have time to play I usually played something else (caught a bit of a GoW: Ragnarök bug :ph34r:). The few occasions I did play KSP2 I got hit with various gameplay/Kraken issues that didn't let me complete the missions I had planned, and seeing that there's an update planned to be released next Thursday, I decided to wait out its release

With that being said, I did manage to complete Mission 2. And here's the report for it

Ascent was nominal. As you can also see, the Satellite already has a Relay antenna, which will save me some work for Mission 3

Spoiler

hwWqhZW.jpg

letEYqy.jpg

bXIHeUE.jpg

Escaping Kerbin

Spoiler

qLoinld.jpg

As in Fly-By mission, I wasn't entering Duna optimally due to trajectory lines not showing inside Duna's SoI, but the Satellite had extra fuel just for this situation

Spoiler

B595KFD.jpg

After another burn at periapsis, I entered the Duna orbit

Spoiler

uww7VUm.jpg

Some eye-candy

Spoiler

LXpamMO.jpg

ATZ4ZtN.jpg

On 3/12/2023 at 11:55 PM, OJT said:

@Uuky Welcome to the thread! Nice mission reports, and you're the first to utilize Molniya orbits for satellites. I imagine executing it was a pain. Kudos

Many  thanks,

Actually it is only "Molniya-like" i.e. highly elliptical  orbit very low over one pole, very high over the other. Not that hard at all to make.

Well, I keep trying to get to and from Duna, but I simply can't get the return trip.  Due to the resource/fuel consumption issues, I can't get to Duna with enough remaining fuel to get back; I need the asparagus staging and fuel leakage problems resolved first.  I'm going to see if I can build a spaceplane, but I am going to wait on the patch tomorrow to see if either of these is fixed enough to allow me to do this.  I know - people out there are doing this with the problems.  I'm not them.  :)