Screenshot-67.png

Bracing for aerobrake, again

Screenshot-68.png

Splashdown!

Screenshot-70.png

Screenshot-53.png

Screenshot-70.png

This was a really fun mission to do!

However, I did encounter a bug with this maneuver node, and quite maybe how KSP 2 calculates the displayed trajectories in the first place. Burning so that you eject in the retrograde direction makes the maneuver node and the trajectory displayed while in Dunar SOI think that this will raise your solar orbit, and ejecting prograde makes them think that your solar orbit will lower, which doesn't make any sense. But once you escape Duna, the actual trajectory only displays then. That meant that I had to eyeball my Duna escape and make correction burns in the solar orbit so that I intercept Kerbin. It was a real task to do but I managed to get back to Kerbin.

Edited by ChromeDome

3. Transmitting Live From Duna (Version 0.1.1.0)

I knew the patch was coming and it would improve things so waited a couple of days to press on with the missions.  Glad I waited as apart from 1 episode of my ship suddenly leaving Duna at 14,841m/s (solved by reload), it was basically a smooth (framerate and bug free) experience.

Here's the full missions report.  Dinkelstein Kerman did listen to the controller's feedback about the solar panel size, but refused to compromise more than one size, citing "big raspberries" and muttering something scientific under his breath.  Thanks to Mullet Dyne we now have the right network support and mapping capability at Duna to pick a site for the next mission, where the team will attempt to land a probe on the surface of the dusty world.

Here's a postcard from the mission, if anyone knows how to hide the last bit of graphics (F2 used to clear the whole UI out) let me know:

eFAc8rE.jpg

Dinkelstein Kerman's rocket was a massive success and set the scene for larger and larger solar panels.  No wait, no, we told you already, cut it out Dinkelstein!

SM

@Speeding Mullet F2 does remove the UI, like in KSP1. At least for me it does. Maybe check the key bindings? Or it was probably disabled after the patch (didn't have the chance to play with new patch yet)

As for your and @ChromeDome's mission reports : I will be reviewing them later in the evening and, if everything is in order, they will go into the lists :)

Edited by OJT

Okay, I've read through your reports

@ChromeDome Yours looks really good, will be added to the list

@Speeding Mullet Yours is very detailed aswell... except I am quite sure that those antennas are Direct ones, or at least they were in KSP1. Mission briefing specifically requires Relays on the satellites. Unless the antenna type of those antennas was changed, I unfortunately have to ask you to redo the mission :( And by the way, the time warp menu being visible even with F2 pressed is one of the new bugs in the latest patch

How do I know? Because I just completed Mission 3 on the 0.1.1.0 patch

BXDtCUe.jpg

Since the Satellite that I placed in Mission 2 already has a Relay antenna, I can simply expand the network to satisfy the minimum requirement of 3 satellites in Duna orbit. So I only bring 2 satellites with me, saving on takeoff mass

Spoiler

OqQXp5Z.jpg

a2FhyHW.jpg

2Fk17DL.jpg

With that being said, my ascent wasn't the most efficient and because of that, transfer stage used all of its fuel to get into transfer orbit. I usually leave a bit of fuel extra for course corrections and whatnot. But no worries, I deployed the Sats in the interplanetary space and did the adjustments, so that they'd arrive Duna at different times. This would give me enough window to circularize with the first Sat, then quickly switch and do the same with the second

Spoiler

iG1ZhE6.jpg

7EuEL9H.jpg

g1JBjgb.jpg

First Sat was placed in near polar orbit

Spoiler

Nq8Gi9J.jpg

Second Sat was placed in near equatorial orbit

Spoiler

vhpUiwu.jpg

The Sat from Mission 2 was also in a near polar orbit, but at a different inclination, effectively providing me with full coverage of Duna for the next missions

tV5PdYf.jpg

1 hour ago, OJT said:

Mission briefing specifically requires Relays on the satellites

Ah right my bad.  Seeing as CommNet isn't fully implemented in KSP2 and there's no published wiki for KSP2 parts, I thought we might be able to use our artistic license a little but them's the rules it seems.  I've got little appetite to repeat the mission with 1 replaced part, so I'll go do something else for a while.

SM

VII. Strangers in a Strange Land

Game version 0.1.0.0.20892

Spoiler

The vehicle in Kerbin orbit

Screenshot-71.png

Bracing for aerocapture

Screenshot-73.png

Aerocaptured and now in orbit, with Ike joining in too!

Screenshot-74.png

Going down

Screenshot-75.png

Descending to the surface

Screenshot-76.png

Three happy Kerbals safely landed on Duna!

Screenshot-77.png

Flags and footprints on Duna

Screenshot-78.png

Back in orbit and successfully docked with the transfer stage

Screenshot-79.png

Ready for Kerbin atmospheric entry

Screenshot-80.png

Flying back down to the surface

Screenshot-81.png

The end of a remarkable journey

Screenshot-82.png

Screenshot-78.png

So I've finally gotten flags and footprints on Duna. It was my first crewed interplanetary mission, and my first interplanetary landing at that. I appreciate you adding the probe landing and return mission before the crewed one, it really helped me get the hang of interplanetary missions without risking the lives of Kerbals.

I really enjoyed your challenge series, I hope you add more challenges in the future!

Edited by ChromeDome

4 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I am starting to get frustrated.  Since the patch 2 days ago, I can't get an encounter with Duna.  Like, i can get an intercept of some 45000 km away.  But no encounter.  What the frsk am I missing?

That sounds interesting, I'm getting Duna encounters just fine on 0.1.0.0. I know it sounds stupid but are you sure it isn't your inclination that's messing you up?

27 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I am starting to get frustrated.  Since the patch 2 days ago, I can't get an encounter with Duna.  Like, i can get an intercept of some 45000 km away.  But no encounter.  What the frsk am I missing?

The classic reason for that kind of issue is launching at the wrong time, as if you're plotting the right path but the planet just isn't there when you arrive due to timing. 

16 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

The classic reason for that kind of issue is launching at the wrong time, as if you're plotting the right path but the planet just isn't there when you arrive due to timing. 

Not the issue.  If you look through this thread, I was more than able to get to Duna in the first version.  But now, whether through eyeballing the angle or using the transfer window mod, can't do it.  I know @ChromeDome mentioned inclination, which I thought too.  But I can mess with radial and normal all I want, both during initial burn and correction burns and I can't get an encounter.

I have to be doing something wrong here.

VIII. Come Fly With Me

Game version 0.1.0.0.20892

Spoiler

In Kerbin orbit

23jqHTI.png

Aerobraking

dIQtxCR.png

Descending down

BAQomyE.png

Touchdown confirmed!

mPCf6CA.png

I wonder where the giant spiders are?

0Md0J0O.png

0Md0J0O.png

This mission was a really fun experience! I didn't think the plane would survive quickloading but to my surprise, it did! I haven't quite figured out how to get it home yet, but I am thinking of doing orbital rendezvous and getting it home from there.

Edited by ChromeDome

3 hours ago, ChromeDome said:

I haven't quite figured out how to get it home yet, but I am thinking of doing orbital rendezvous and getting it home from there.

Bringing the plane back is optional: as long as you can fly it around in Duna atmosphere and then safely land it, you complete the challenge

With that being said, I don't see any screenshots of the plane safely landing after take-off and flight :ph34r:

Can I ask how people got their probes back to Kerbin after landing?  I landed a probe, repacked the chutes, and then headed back to Kerbin.  However, KSP2 told me that I had no stages left during descent...but I could fire the chutes manually.  Unfortunately, even at 120 m/s speed all of them said "Unsafe to Deploy", and they all shredded mid-air during deployment.

@OJT

Duna VI:  Bring It Home

I figured out what I had to do in order to land on Duna and then get the thing home as far as parachutes are concerned - pack an extra one and don't use it.  Took me a while to figure that out, but I finally got it.  Beyond that, the biggest issue is the trajectory planning bug when coming home from Duna.  I had to burn retrograde to Duna's orbit, which the map showed then as going higher (away from) in relation to Kerbol.  But when you leave Duna's SOI, you can clearly see the trajectory going towards Kerbin.  A small correction burn there, and I had a great intercept.  The interesting thing about this correction burn - and you can see this in the images - is that the Pe marker was nowhere near Kerbin, but rather on the larger plotted trajectory.  Made it hard to decipher and burn properly, but it worked.

The other thing that happened here is when I landed back on Kerbin.  I thought I was aiming for the Antarctic ice shelf, which would have been really cool.  I was looking forward to time warping a bit after landing to show that, but I ended up in the water.  And when I landed in the water, the probe continued to sink and sink and sink and sink...to no end.  I did take a semi-shot with the craft some 21 meters BELOW the surface of the water, and I waited until it was some 500 meters below the surface before I recovered the probe.  I really wanted that ice shelf shot, too.  Bummer.

Spoiler

aSyr6OL.png
pxiBimS.png
PzFq2Ze.png
TY8kMl5.png
XNyQrFa.png
ph4ENpB.png
lYoRNVz.png
3KGCSGu.png
4iXFxsj.png
1LmzNT4.png
D40ewd6.png
vAJUzyj.png

A few other items of note regarding this leg of the challenge.

1. This marks the first time I've used the hydrogen fuel/engines for any flight.  I really wanted to use them, knowing that they were preferrable to conventional means with interplanetary travel.  Made a world of difference (pun intended) as far as dV goes.  Saved me a ton.
  2. Maximum G Forces is 137 and change.  There's a challenge in there somewhere.
  3. Those legs are BOUNCY.  It took me at least a dozen tries to get to the surface of Duna before I didn't bounce and flip over.
  4. I noticed that, even during periods where the probe wasn't in the sun, the electric charge from the batteries wasn't draining.  I checked my settings, and I didn't have infinite charge turned on.  Seems to be a bug.

Anyhow, that completes this portion.  Now I gotta put a kerbal on the surface and get him/her home.

Hello to everyone

You might notice the lack of activity on my part in this thread and in forum in general, some IRL stuff came about that I needed to take care of. So I wanted to give y'all some quick updates

First and foremost, Duna Mastery won the Thread Of The Month! I got three Honourable Mentions before for my threads, but until now fell short of the grand prize. For that, I want to thank everyone who nominated the thread, who took part in the challenge and everyone who has shown interest in general. TOTM badge is now proudly hanging at the OP :)

Second, I've been working on some ways to expand the challenge and make it more attractive for new and old participants alike. This includes new challenges and badges that you can put into your signatures. So stay tuned!

Third, my own participation in the Challenge was somewhat slow, but with the holidays coming about, I should have time to make more contributions

Starting with my first Lander

txlyyC7.jpg

Fairly small rocket packs enough fuel to get to Kerbin orbit and perform most of the escape maneuver. Lander has three small legs, landing engines, parachutes, antenna for connection and small retractable solar panel. The whole mission went without a hitch and a smooth Duna touchdown completes the mission

Spoiler

MC55HM2.jpg

Siqto0I.jpg

A9ZSHoF.jpg

tbd1Ydf.jpg

BtHNnjB.jpg

6Ugm0MV.jpg

Next missions will be coming soon &)

Here's my submissions for missions 1 through 4  :cool:

As for game versions. 1-3 were done in v0.1.1.0 and 4 was done in v.0.1.2.0.

Had to fight off a few bugs along the way but should be getting better now :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):

1. Destination Duna

Simple launch vehicle and probe for a simple mission :wink:

Spoiler

u0l0ySI.png

mwHxC4b.png

1KgroGW.png

C2a9W8i.png

9iP0qrP.png

3cUWdo0.png

JHQanHl.png

nR3T6vw.png

YaQZXvn.png

2. Otherworldly Connection

I don't like adding fins to every launch vehicle but alas. Simple orbit mission! Still can't make good looking craft :P

Spoiler

6WJCYxI.png

VTzFKNO.png

tCxeaez.png

cd1BdSj.png

UhHYQf5.png

HjDu3fs.png

RAdb5LR.png

t0TKos4.png

CayvOFJ.png

Kmtd4zf.png

3. Transmitting Live From Duna

Tried making a 3 satellite network in one launch but after many failed/buggy/kraken launches decided to just send two and use the satellite from the previous mission as the third. Really wish the craft construction system gets quality of life upgrades in coming patches, because I got a few headaches with this one...

Also got a weird bug where one of the satellites would have a 'phantom propulsion' since I was continuously getting thrust with engines off and no RCS...

Anyways, here it goes!

Spoiler

t4QY0pJ.png

VUYXy0M.png

crL9KZP.png

wYWw7Rm.png

drezBaj.png

7xhwq85.png

v7XOgsv.png

obgeAax.png

GniymVi.png

AEGMKCo.png

4. First Landing

Wanted a more sophisticated design for this one so I went with a Parachute/skycrane landing system (just so the parachute doesn't accidentally cover our neat equipment after landing :D)

Fun mission! Here it goes:

Spoiler

3hQb4Z9.png

8E58jmR.png

1cvYRuc.png

AHmJjx6.png

anqJ5Tw.png

aOvc4Ip.png

FkcU44U.png

HeTNM4H.png

A73Ph8H.png

KKUoV1V.png

9g46qwb.png

L7Y7h3C.png

I49hpc0.png

Kt6bhbp.png

ap97YDv.png

47VQQqq.png

And that's it for now! I'll try to get the other reports on here shortly! Thanks for the missions!

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 4:55 PM, Calvido said:

And that's it for now! I'll try to get the other reports on here shortly! Thanks for the missions!

Sooo, in danger of necromancing, I miss updates on this topic. Is it possible to revive it and start it again? I'd love to try to build a space station around Duna while following your progress here! 

On 5/14/2023 at 2:19 AM, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

Sooo, in danger of necromancing, I miss updates on this topic. Is it possible to revive it and start it again? I'd love to try to build a space station around Duna while following your progress here! 

The thread is not dead until I pronounce it so. It just seems that the initial interest somewhat dwindled, and I, myself, have a lot going on right now IRL. If you want to contribute - you're more than welcome! But with seemingly soon upcoming release of Science update, I decided to hold the new challenges for now :ph34r:

9 hours ago, OJT said:

The thread is not dead until I pronounce it so. It just seems that the initial interest somewhat dwindled, and I, myself, have a lot going on right now IRL. If you want to contribute - you're more than welcome! But with seemingly soon upcoming release of Science update, I decided to hold the new challenges for now :ph34r:

Maybe I'll build a space station around it.