SSTO 3k LKO delta v (rapier only)

So ive been slaving away for the last 4 days, trying to crack ssto's.

Progress has been pretty slow and im kinda limited in how many engines and parts i can use due to lag, but today i did manage to crack the 3k lko delta v mark, so thats deffo something.

This particular ssto is ready to be reconfigured to accept a poodle engine for increased delta v in vacume, but the rapier thrust bug and incorrect delta v. indication with multiple engines in orbit prevent me from going for it right off the bat.

image.png

jKG5X0V.jpg

Craft file: https://we.tl/t-cEXCRnC622

craft has 4 rapiers so expect rough fps.

How to orbit:

1.takeoff is really rough so make sure to not stall or strike the wing. If having trouble can enable pitch control on ailerons for takeoff.

2.once off the ground, accelerate on the deck to about 850m/s and pitch up 10o (make sure to turn down the elevator authority once at speed, craft can rip it self apart when you pitch up at speed. 17o of authority works well)

3.Once at 1.1k m/s or 10k km, pitch up to 20o for the rest of the ascend.

side note: Ive increased joint rigidity in my config files, so unsure of how that affects the plane. May need to add a few struts if youre running stock noodle mode.

Edited by FlazeTheDragon

16 minutes ago, GOOMH said:

Looks very Sci-fi, how does it fly in the atmosphere? Does is take off horizontal?

It actually flies fairly well once you get up to speed, above mach1 id say.

Yup, it takes off like a regular plane with no assistance, tho just barely since its ~75t, which is about the limit of what 4 rapiers can lift off the ground.

~75t wet and ~20t dry lol

This thing is awesome! I got it to orbit on the first try, it rolled over at about 10k, but I was able to fly heads down to orbit. When i reentered it fell apart at about 4k altitude and I think it was my fault for pulling up too much. Also not controllable in space and constantly spins out, but that'll be easy to fix.

12 minutes ago, spritefun said:

This thing is awesome! I got it to orbit on the first try, it rolled over at about 10k, but I was able to fly heads down to orbit. When i reentered it fell apart at about 4k altitude and I think it was my fault for pulling up too much. Also not controllable in space and constantly spins out, but that'll be easy to fix.

haha, it can be a bit of a hand full at slow speeds so gotta try and keep the wings level :P Honestly, i havent done much testing with ssto re-entrys yet since no heating, so im mostly just optimising for takeoff and initial ascent. Sadly i cant put any reaction wheels on it since there bugged atm and create massive drag, tho you should be able to control it when doing burns in space manually (sas kinda sucks), think you might of gotten that jank spin out bug.

Glad you like the build tho :) 

Working on a little ssto pack atm so will add more

On 3/1/2023 at 5:10 PM, FlazeTheDragon said:

haha, it can be a bit of a hand full at slow speeds so gotta try and keep the wings level :P Honestly, i havent done much testing with ssto re-entrys yet since no heating, so im mostly just optimising for takeoff and initial ascent. Sadly i cant put any reaction wheels on it since there bugged atm and create massive drag, tho you should be able to control it when doing burns in space manually (sas kinda sucks), think you might of gotten that jank spin out bug.

Glad you like the build tho :) 

Working on a little ssto pack atm so will add more

Yeah I was super trigger happy with those controls lol. Yeah thats what i did to reenter, just burned engine then pointed retrograde. Yep, deffo got that but, at this point I just restart the game instead of running through quicksaves, usually works unless the save is bugged.

Deffo looking forward to that, SSTO creation is my nemesis.

4 minutes ago, spritefun said:

Yeah I was super trigger happy with those controls lol. Yeah thats what i did to reenter, just burned engine then pointed retrograde. Yep, deffo got that but, at this point I just restart the game instead of running through quicksaves, usually works unless the save is bugged.

Deffo looking forward to that, SSTO creation is my nemesis.

the pack has been out for quite a while :P 

Dont have any nuclear ssto's in there just yet, tho i do have some designs im working on, one of which is basically ready to do the Laythe challenge and pick up val, bop and pol on the way back as well.

Got another one with about 7k d.v lko but im still figuring out how to make nuclear ssto's look good with out compromising on hydrogen so havent added any of them yet.

Spoiler

image.png

Spoiler

DuLibf9.png

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.