SSTO to the mun

Considering how amazing the new wings are, and planes in general, i bet this would be a cool challenge :P

Rules are:

1. Gotta be an ssto (cant use any boosters or jetison engines etc at any stage).

2. No orbital refueling.

3. gotta land on the mun in one peace.

Bonus points if you have enough delta v left to make it back to kerbin :P

How do you win you may ask?

Well, getting to the mun is only part of the challenge. We are flying ssto's after all, and the main goal for an ssto, above all else, is to look cool! So coolest looking ssto on the mun, by popular vote wins! 

tSWVzAs.png

Good luck!

Edited by FlazeTheDragon

Just did it in one go, but with lander in the SSTO bay and SSTO is in Mun orbit when Valentina is on the surface. (It was intended for Duna)

Then dock to SSTO and back to Kerbin.

Enough TWR to land on the Mun, Ike or other Moons and Duna eventually.

Otherwise the SSTO is with 4.6km/s DV in LKO + the lander with chutes and 2.6km/s DV on it's own.

(Rapiers are hell for FPS on takeoff)

I'm again too lazy to post pictures, I might speed up the footage and upload a video.

1 hour ago, didkodidko said:

Just did it in one go, but with lander in the SSTO bay and SSTO is in Mun orbit when Valentina is on the surface. (It was intended for Duna)

Then dock to SSTO and back to Kerbin.

Enough TWR to land on the Mun, Ike or other Moons and Duna eventually.

Otherwise the SSTO is with 4.6km/s DV in LKO + the lander with chutes and 2.6km/s DV on it's own.

(Rapiers are hell for FPS on takeoff)

I'm again too lazy to post pictures, I might speed up the footage and upload a video.

lol yah, rapiers really kills fps. Would be interesting to see the ssto, its early days for ksp2 ssto tech and 4.6k dv with a payload is a lot :P

14 hours ago, didkodidko said:

A quick edit of the capture :) 

Nice! Interesting to see H ssto tech progress. Would be interesting to see aero debug during the initial ascend. Also, if you disable all the engines on the craft when in orbit, other then the nuclear one, i believe the game will actually display correct delta.v.

Been working on a similar idea me self, got a fully functional (i think) duna round trip ssto with a slightly modified lift craft ive made earlier, but due to payload bay drag bug its grounded at the moment

Spoiler

QVtX9Wu.png

16 hours ago, didkodidko said:

A quick edit of the capture :) 

How did you get the docking ports to work?

Edit: I just looked up the details of the docking port bug. Off to build more SSTOs

Edited by Socraticat
Ignorance

Alas, it appears that the reaction wheels are not working properly. I got all the way to the Mun and then could not get my craft oriented properly to land. After an hour of failed attempts, I had to call it quits :-(  Such is life. 

Here is me getting my 100% hydrogen SSTO almost to the suface.

xwOIArC.png

• 3 weeks later...

I got to the destination with cargo intact, but due to a planning error (loading a prior vehicle without inspection), I had an old workaround of a coupler destroy my photo op. I will return for the ultimate aesthetic I have to offer.

SSTO-on-the-Mun.png

On 2/28/2023 at 4:11 PM, FlazeTheDragon said:

Considering how amazing the new wings are, and planes in general, i bet this would be a cool challenge :P

Rules are:

1. Gotta be an ssto (cant use any boosters or jetison engines etc at any stage).

2. No orbital refueling.

3. gotta land on the mun in one peace.

Bonus points if you have enough delta v left to make it back to kerbin :P

How do you win you may ask?

Well, getting to the mun is only part of the challenge. We are flying ssto's after all, and the main goal for an ssto, above all else, is to look cool! So coolest looking ssto on the mun, by popular vote wins! 

tSWVzAs.png

Good luck!

I just cant get over how gorgeous that shot is. Great work overall.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

Man, i need a personal trainer just to get my SSTO into orbit, let alone the mun.

Loving these SSTO designs though

There's currently an intermittent bug that renders some inline parts, such as SAS modules and batteries to have way too much drag. Avoid those for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Landed an (asymmetric) SSTO on the Mun for another challenge:

2dhMIvFh.png

only bug encountered was a tendency for the gear to fall off when loading a save or using timewarp below 20km altitude… so I was very motivated to get the landing done in one take (took two).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.