SSTO Pack ((7 ships) lko lift, commercial, military)

Ill be updating the roster as i make more note worthy stuff

Decided to compile a little pack of my slightly more note worthy builds. Its got both commercial and military craft.

Sadly i cant fully realize some of them yet due to bugs, but there at least visually where i want them to be, more or less :p

tJVOHxF.png

Commercial

1. Draken falcon 1x

LKO delta.v: 1000m/s

Parts: 21

Weight: 9.5 / 4.3t

Dimensions: 1.6 / 9.4 / 7.1m

Rapier count: 1

Objective: Small single seater private plane with ample delta.v reserves

Notes: Takeoff is a bit hairy since i didnt want it to have a horizontal stabilizer for reasons.

Spoiler

VNtRd6x.png

2. Draken skipper 4x

LKO Delta.v: 500m/s

Parts: 28

Weight: 12 / 6.5t

Dimensions: 2.4 / 11.7 / 11.3m

Rapier count: 1

Objective: Compact commercial ssto capable of ferrying 4 passengers in to lko or a mother ship/station

Notes: Re-entry is kinda sketch as you got very little elevator authority, probably want to enable ailerons to work as elevators.

Spoiler

image.png

3.Draken minotaur 35

LKO Delta.v: 1000-200 (depending on payload)

Parts: 44

Weight: 48.5 / 18.8t

Dimensions: 3.9 /  20.1 / 18.15m

Engines: Rapiers-4 / Poodle - 1

maximum payload - 35t

Objective: ability to lift medium mass payloads in to lko. In theory it should be able to lift the classic orange tank, but the cargo bay is literally the exact same size as the tank so it cant realistically fit it.

Notes: If you want to lift anything in to orbit, you have to make sure both ends of the cargo bay, and your payload are capped off with aerodynamic cones, the cargobay is bugged. Once lifted off the ground, reduce elevator authority to 5o or the ship will rip it self apart if you try to pitch up at speed. This craft 100% requires either strutting or increased joint rigidity in config files. Ship could probably use some rcs which i was to lazy to add, as it barely has any authority in a vacume.

Spoiler

zR0Iea0.png

Spoiler

rNXdTOU.png

4. Ark royal

LKO Delta.v: 1200m/s

Parts: 43

Weight: 26.4 / 11.2t

Dimensions: 2.25 / 12.6 / 15.2m

Rapier count: 2

Objective: Luxury private jet capable of lifting up to 4 fancy kerbals and 2 pilots in to lko with ample delta.v for small tours.

Spoiler

g7zhlts.png

Spoiler

wWJgrdy.png

Military

1.HMS Daring

LKO delta.v: 500m/s

Parts: 71

Weight: 29 / 12.5t

Dimensions: 3.25 / 14.7 / 14m

Engines: rapiers - 2 / whiplash - 2

armament: 2 nrb30s medium range hybrid atmospheric / interplanetary missiles.

Objective: Heavy fighter/interceptor/ssto.  This ship is meant to be a single craft solution for any first response mission. In the atmosphere, this ship posessis high speed and good maneuverability with high twr (1.65 fully loaded) which allows it to intercept targets quickly as well as engage them in a dogfight. It can also achieve lko to fire off its interplanetary armament.

Notes: Due to its ability to pull high aoa (or have good maneuverability at low speeds) , frontal canards should be disabled, and aileron authority should be reduced when attempting to reach lko. Nrb30s firing sequence: 1.Disable main engines 2.Open the bomb bays 3.throttle up and engage rocket engines 4.decouple the missiles. 

Spoiler

CLKd15S.png

Spoiler

zgtaQlW.png

Spoiler

LdqK099.png

Spoiler

HkEL5jZ.png

2.HMS Vulture

LKO delta.v: 2000m/s

Parts: 51

Weight: 37 / 11.4t

Dimensions: 2.8 / 11.3 / 13.35m

Rapier count: 2

Objective: Medium torpedo destroyer, capable of lifting 2 medium torpedoes in to lko and intercept capital ships.

Notes: Due to cargo bay bug, i wasnt able to add torpedo bays or torpedoes them selves. Just imagine that the side board fuel tanks are torpedo tubes xD

Spoiler

rPT2d8R.png

Spoiler

GOR75oX.png

3.HMS Lightning

LKO Delta.v: 3000m/s

Parts: 40

Weight: 74 / 18.4t

Dimensions: 4.1 / 17.8 / 19.6m

Rapier count: 4

Objective: Patrol frigate capable of intercepting crafts within the near solar system.

Notes: Very low thrust-to weight makes it difficult to get off the runway. Once at speed, reduce elevator authority.

Spoiler

image.png

Spoiler

jKG5X0V.jpg

Additional notes for all ships:

1. Ive modified my game files to reduce the noodle effect by increasing joint rigidity. If you run stock noodle mode, you may need to add struts (or just change the config, stock rigidity is not right).

2. Since there is no re-entry heating, i didnt really feel like testing re-entry or dry performance of these ships, so some of them may be a bit jank on re-entry. Since half of these are basically not finished due to bugs, ill likely revisit them at a later date and finish up additional features along with re-entry balancing.

Download link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/96629klfuix2s55/ssto_pack.7z/file

Hope you guys enjoy :)

Edited by FlazeTheDragon

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to try these out. I messed with joint rigidity the other day and I encountered a bug that when saving my files it put my vehicle through the floor on second load so I changed it back. Might have put it to high? Is there a sweet spot to joint rigidity value? I'm  tired of strutting everything :D

58 minutes ago, JustRocketScience said:

Looking to try these out. I messed with joint rigidity the other day and I encountered a bug that when saving my files it put my vehicle through the floor on second load so I changed it back. Might have put it to high? Is there a sweet spot to joint rigidity value? I'm  tired of strutting everything :D

Lol havent encoubtered that bug. I got node and joint rigidity raised by 100x i think

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.