Info about the first patch

Mutex

Just now, Puggonaut said:

I just hope they fix the EVA Issue , can't get any of my Kerbals to exit anything .

For me, I can get them out in EVA when the vessel has landed.

In orbit my ships blows up or frenzy spins

How do you classify the bug where you’ve landed a ship on Duna and gotten out to plant a flag, and saved, then when you come back the next day and load the game, your legs fall through the terrain, break off the ship and everything tumbles over? :)

Is that a terrain rendering bug, a parts-attachment bug, a save corruption bug, or some combination of the two? 

7 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

How do you classify the bug where you’ve landed a ship on Duna and gotten out to plant a flag, and saved, then when you come back the next day and load the game, your legs fall through the terrain, break off the ship and everything tumbles over? :)

Is that a terrain rendering bug, a parts-attachment bug, a save corruption bug, or some combination of the two? 

Save.  Rendering is not related to the state of the game itself.

5 minutes ago, MarcAbaddon said:

Could be a physics bugs too. Doesn't necessarily mean the save is corrupted, just that the load process doesn't restore things in the proper order or correct way.

Usually  save/load issues are  treated together...  if soemthign happens only during a save reload cycle it probably woudl be treated as such.

8 minutes ago, tstein said:

Usually  save/load issues are  treated together...  if soemthign happens only during a save reload cycle it probably woudl be treated as such.

Yes, question is whether the same thing would have happened by simply switching to KSC and back or not.

In any case, I actually loaded in the save several times in a row, if only to watch Tim C. Kerman smiling beatifically as the lander collapsed around  him. I was reminded of this film classic and laughed every time. 

20 minutes ago, Raph14x said:

WATH MAny WEKS to make an UPDATE for 50e Warh a tiny dev team

But Your Bisnes team is 2 mor great

seriously bad bad day

sorry for my bad englich

If you have trouble with English, you can post in your native language and then add an automated translation.   

35 minutes ago, MarcAbaddon said:

Could be a physics bugs too. Doesn't necessarily mean the save is corrupted, just that the load process doesn't restore things in the proper order or correct way.

Quite possible, this could happen in KSP 1 to, rover wheels getting stolen was not unheard of.  At one large Minmus base it happened multiple times. 
I assume that happens here is that rover got placed with the wheels into the ground so they got deleted. Assume suspension was involved. 
An pretty common issue was two parts with different suspension docked together might get forces applied to them on load.

FWIW, I think the communication is awesome.  I like that the community managers are starting to show themselves and let us know both what is coming and what they might be working on.

With that said, one game-breaking bug I'd really like to see squashed is the complete loss of control of probes that are decoupled from ships.  You simply cannot get multiple probes into orbit around Kerbin or any other body from the same ship, which requires multiple launches.  I'd say that should have some priority...but I'm fully ok with whatever the devs and TT/IG/PD is prioritizing.  :)

3 hours ago, LameLefty said:

Save corruption.

I landed on Duna too. With a plane. When I loaded the save, a wing fell off. It was a very kerbal experience.

1 minute ago, Periple said:

Save corruption.

I landed on Duna too. With a plane. When I loaded the save, a wing fell off. It was a very kerbal experience.

I'm not sure that's what they mean by save corruption. I think they mean people's saves ballooning to GBs and not being able to load a save at all.

Hopefully they do solve the issue you're talking about too though.

6 minutes ago, Mutex said:

I'm not sure that's what they mean by save corruption. I think they mean people's saves ballooning to GBs and not being able to load a save at all.

I may have misdiagnosed it of course, but if the cause was serializing the game state to disk then it's savegame corruption. Of course a savegame ballooning to GBs or not loading at all etc is worse.

Edited by Periple

20 hours ago, Dakota said:

Hard to fit a full issues list into 280 characters! Those 4 are the major issues we're seeing from the community and that's why we communicated them. I followed up to that tweet and mentioned performance optimizations are also on our radar, but not something guaranteed to come in the next patch.

There are a lot of smaller bugs that are being squashed everyday, from locale fixes to physics corrections. The patch notes will be as detailed as I can make them, promise!

We appreciate you and the team. Thanks for all you do!

21 hours ago, Dakota said:

Hard to fit a full issues list into 280 characters! Those 4 are the major issues we're seeing from the community and that's why we communicated them. I followed up to that tweet and mentioned performance optimizations are also on our radar, but not something guaranteed to come in the next patch.

There are a lot of smaller bugs that are being squashed everyday, from locale fixes to physics corrections. The patch notes will be as detailed as I can make them, promise!

Thats great. Thanks, yall!

I think a lot of the issues I've been encountering are due to save file corruption as when I encounter some wonky behavior I try to save and cant, i try to delete it in the tracking center and cant; however in at least two occasions now I recover my craft or get it to destroy itself and I'm able to save again. I wonder how many of the issues we're seeing are because a craft gets borked in the save file and the game doesn't know what to do until it's removed.

Edited by i208khonsu

2 hours ago, EvelynThe Dragon said:

I have to say that I am disappointed at the apparent tempo of patches. three to four weeks is a LONG time. Pick an issue, squash it, patch it. Repeat.

That's not really how a larger project  has to work.  And it's one of the reasons early release can slow down progress.

For a larger project, where many people are touching the build and assets, you have to bundle up and test a set of fixes, so that no new big bugs leak through.   Testing everything is time consuming, so you want to include a reasonable # of fixes with each release.

Im massively oversimplifying it here but KSP2 probably has several lines of development all going at once - a release candidate branch that's being tested, a live branch that's for work for the next patch after, and one or more dev branches that's for feature development for future features.  And subdivisions.of those for specific candidates ,etc.

12 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

FWIW, I think the communication is awesome.  I like that the community managers are starting to show themselves and let us know both what is coming and what they might be working on.

You have a gift for sarcasm. 

I don't really see the cause for negativity here - They're communicating early the expectations and immediate priorities. Save corruption (I'm guessing this is at least in part related to weird behaviors when loading the game and the VAB occasionally throwing your ship to the floor  in a temper tantrum) and loading failures are both obvious and immediate issues to resolve - The former can indirectly cause an absolute ton of errors, like the failing docking ports, engines, landing irregularities, etc, anything where the games loading data that it buggered writing out in the first place. Considering every ship is a parts list thats loaded in and referenced regularly, having that break is a big deal. Loading failures are similar, good luck getting any feedback or enjoyment when the game won't start. Maneuver nodes is probably some gremlin in the simulation thats manifesting now, but likely affects other things we haven't noticed/reported widely that the team spotted when they confirmed the issue.

Actually, now that I think about it, Save gone wrong might explain the bizzare behavior I had where I time warped to a Jool launch window in the Tracking Center, left the TC and launched a rocket, only to find myself having traveled about 6 months back in time to 0:00 universal time. Only noticed when I got to orbit and the Gas Giant had gone and left me :sob:

The rest of the buglist come release will probably be bits of low hanging fruit, as I've mentioned prior. Lots of little niggling, low and medium priority issues that'll be fixed based on how easy it was to get bonked into shape. Nothing they've listed seems like some terrible misallocation of resources, pretty standard to be honest.

Not sure this is the right place to post this, but I managed to restore a corrupted save by editing values for parts. Basically one of the new gigantic landing gears fell off after reloading, leaving me stranded on the Mun.

I was able to find the relevant part in a previous uncorrupted (left) and the corrupted (right) save file. Changing the "AttachedPartGuid" value from all zeroes to the values on the left and changing "attachedPartNodeID" from "" to null restored my vehicle to functionality.

Of course, a lot harder to do when more than one part fails.

Until this is fixed, this might help some people restore their save files.

image.pngimage.png?width=1196&height=439

19 hours ago, RocketRockington said:

That's not really how a larger project  has to work.  And it's one of the reasons early release can slow down progress.

For a larger project, where many people are touching the build and assets, you have to bundle up and test a set of fixes, so that no new big bugs leak through.   Testing everything is time consuming, so you want to include a reasonable # of fixes with each release.

Im massively oversimplifying it here but KSP2 probably has several lines of development all going at once - a release candidate branch that's being tested, a live branch that's for work for the next patch after, and one or more dev branches that's for feature development for future features.  And subdivisions.of those for specific candidates ,etc.

I have worked on gigantic programs with hardware and software integration, I actually do know how it CAN work. So please do not try to explain engineering to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.