I believe I've discovered a workaround for the undocking bugs - can anyone else test and confirm?

Figured this would fit better here than in bug reports, but please move if you think it's appropriate, mods.

Multiple times I've encountered an issue with docking ports absolutely refusing to undock, and having the ship "destroyed" (meaning the flight log appears, but the regular ship just floats into the distance intact).  I've tried putting a stack separator in between them even, but they still remained fused together.  I tested on the launchpad and they'd decouple just fine, but in flight they would remain welded shut and I'd still have full control over what should be two separate vessels (RCS and engines), and hitting undock anyway would do the fake destruction thing and remove the undock button from the port.  This was after a few quickloads to escape some other bugs, so I think loading saves is a contributing factor, maybe part connections get screwed up in the process?

However in a fit of desperate experimentation I disabled fuel crossfeed on the port before trying anything.  Decoupling the separator still resulted in the ports welding shut, but subsequently hitting the undock button caused them to separate normally.

I'd like to get others to attempt this to see if it's an actual workaround or if it just worked in my specific cases.

Bottom line:

Save loading might be screwing up your docking ports.  If you're having undocking troubles, load a save and then disable fuel crossfeed on the port before trying again.   This fix requires a decoupler between your ports.

Edited by Razor235

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.