SpaceX Starship SN10 | UPDATE [GRID FINS]

I have done a lot of trial and error to make this rocket work, but now I have finally created the second stage for the full starship rocket. I have tested this in an orbital flight, and it works flawlessly, it is very light on the computer (what I mean is that it gives the normal KSP2 FPS) and it can also land perfectly! (Have only tried a water landing).

This has enough Dv to get all the way to Duna!

This rocket was referenced from Starship SN10.

THIS WAS TESTED WITH JOINT_RIGIDITY: 1500000.0

Craft files:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19pS-SCzZqfchSv5mXkuQy2EhPk4Wxjap?usp=share_link

Front View:
1aFZ3kV.png

Bottom View:

Ue7YcPp.png

Gallery Link: https://imgur.com/gallery/4ZcbU3W

Update 1: Added RCS Thrusters for easier mobility. 
Update 2: Added the Super Heavy boosters making this a full starship. (16 boosters because 33 broke the game's physics)
Update 3: Added grid fins.

Edited by FlyPathic
Update 3 | Grid Fins

On 3/4/2023 at 3:46 PM, Kreator2312 said:

This ship works really well, orbit is easily reachable and the addition of RCS greatly improves maneuverability.

Can't wait to see your version of super heavy :)

Thanks for the review, my Super Heavy rocket is currently being made as we speak, and the full set will hopefully be able to take you anywhere.:cool:

i tried "Grid fin" like designs on the upper portion of the large stacks and holy crap, they're extremely effective at attitude control.  dual "control surfaces" @ 90 degrees x 4.    Was able to get a ~200t upper stage to LKO.  This is using 3XL tanks and 4 mammoth engines

Spoiler

CZrJUtl.png

atziJXF.png

Each grid fin is two control surfaces that can act in 2 separate pieces and has a high effect on direction change (so long as there is some atmosphere).   once it's in vaccum, good luck rotating this thing.. lol

i get about 22 fps using this design which is substantially better than my other designs that lift less.

Edited by stackocakes
spelling, fps

I may need to update the design to have more monopropellant, make sure the RCS is disabled for atmosphere and enabled for space. Also thanks for the feedback!

20 hours ago, stackocakes said:

i tried "Grid fin" like designs on the upper portion of the large stacks and holy crap, they're extremely effective at attitude control.  dual "control surfaces" @ 90 degrees x 4.    Was able to get a ~200t upper stage to LKO.  This is using 3XL tanks and 4 mammoth engines

Reveal hidden contents

CZrJUtl.png

atziJXF.png

Each grid fin is two control surfaces that can act in 2 separate pieces and has a high effect on direction change (so long as there is some atmosphere).   once it's in vaccum, good luck rotating this thing.. lol

i get about 22 fps using this design which is substantially better than my other designs that lift less.

22 hours ago, Elox said:

Well, I guess it's playable. Very impressive, tho

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

I managed to land it, but not on flat terrain xD

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you are able to land it. PS: This was designed to land in water and lower gravity planets.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ivy03 said:

How can we import crafts in ksp2 ?

Hi, go to the craft file up the top and download the text doc. Right click and select all then copy. Go into the VAB and press ctrl and the  v button. You should now see the vehicle. If it's a Json file then it needs to be placed in the save file. You can find that in app data on your c drive. Maybe a hidden folder.

If you would like To copy a vehicle to a text, highlight vehicle by hovering over the first part you attached. Should light up the whole vehicle in green. Press ctrl and the c button. From there press the windows key to bring you to desktop. Right click new, text doc and paste it in there. Hope that helps:happy:

Edited by Madishmike

• 2 months later...

Love this!  Couple of questions. Why is the second stage encased in cargo bays?  Why not just make that stage out of fuel tanks like the first stage?  Or perhaps half of it tanks and the other half a cargo bay for probes?  I guess it depends what the use-case is you're going for.

Second question, shouldn't the small fins at the top of the first stage be rotated so they do not add wind resistance?

Great job on making it look realistic!

On 9/15/2023 at 12:28 PM, Timbo said:

Love this!  Couple of questions. Why is the second stage encased in cargo bays?  Why not just make that stage out of fuel tanks like the first stage?  Or perhaps half of it tanks and the other half a cargo bay for probes?  I guess it depends what the use-case is you're going for.

Second question, shouldn't the small fins at the top of the first stage be rotated so they do not add wind resistance?

Great job on making it look realistic!

So, the reason that they are cargo bays are because when I used fuel tanks, it wouldn't get off the launch pad as it was too heavy. If you are talking about the grid fins, I'm not sure about making that curved, because it would make it more fast having less wind resistance hence, the game likes to bug out at high speed, but you are welcome to change those fins at any time lol. Thanks for the feedback as well, once actual gridfins get implemented into the game, I'll be sure to update this, I realize that a lot of people probably use this so I may add a modded version on top of the vanilla version as well if I don't see grid fins and starship stuff getting added to the vanilla version of the game.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...