How can I make this retractable nosecone be more stable during flight and just more stable in general?

Here's an image of a little rocket that I built: 

F4cVrw3.png

This thing works kind of like SpaceX's Starship. It is part of a bigger stack, and it would fly back and do a propulsive landing next to the KSC. See that nosecone on the top? It comes from the ReStock+ mod, and it is connected to that Alligator hinge from the BreakingGround DLC. The idea is that this would act similar to the Starship vehicle, and inside that fairing you'd have payload(s), that would be released by opening the nosecone and having them float out that way. The fairing would essentially act like a cargo bay and not deploy. However, the nosecone is just extremely unstable during flight. It moves around and deploying it is a pain. This could be fixed with some struts, but you'd have to disconnect them and have an engineer use the EVA building feature to place struts again, and I'm not planning on making this craft kerbal rated. 

What can I do?

I'm not clear about what you're asking, but what about placing the nose cone on one of the row of attachment nodes that extend above a fairing base? This is just a quick thing I threw together to show the idea. 

9Mr7lKE.png

the problem is with the game modeling system. to you, it seems like you made a perfectly closed hatch. but the game does not model it that way; as far as the game is concerned, the nose cone is not closing the cargo bay. so your ship flies poorly because it has a giant hole on the front, making it super draggy. as for the hinge itself, it may be subject to vibrations and deformations. if you want to make a nose cone that opens, there's no convenient way to do it with stock parts; the physic engine of the game simply does not allow it. but there are nose cones that open in the near future mod, so I suggest you look there.

16 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

I'm not clear about what you're asking, but what about placing the nose cone on one of the row of attachment nodes that extend above a fairing base? This is just a quick thing I threw together to show the idea. 

9Mr7lKE.png

If I did, I wouldn’t be able to deploy the nosecone, and the fairing is not supposed to separate, instead I use it to protect the payload inside.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:36 PM, king of nowhere said:

the problem is with the game modeling system. to you, it seems like you made a perfectly closed hatch. but the game does not model it that way; as far as the game is concerned, the nose cone is not closing the cargo bay. so your ship flies poorly because it has a giant hole on the front, making it super draggy. as for the hinge itself, it may be subject to vibrations and deformations. if you want to make a nose cone that opens, there's no convenient way to do it with stock parts; the physic engine of the game simply does not allow it. but there are nose cones that open in the near future mod, so I suggest you look there.

I'd like to point out that, even if the fairing is open at the front, it's still shielding the stuff inside.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.