KSP2 worth getting?

Cloakedwand72

I do know of the controversy surrounding the KSP2 launch but I do hope they improve on  it. And I do know they will increase the price to 60/70 bucks once they get near the interstellar update and full mod support. I do have an I5 & 2070 super so do you think the game is kind of worth getting into?

Well,at this point it is well known that the game runs very bad and the graphics are not amazing.You will be able to play 1080P medium . Keep in mind that on 1080P the game looks quite bad.You can give it a try,ask a friend to let you try it out and if you like it,go head  and buy it

Edited by BobbyDausus

No.

Wait a few months, otherwise you are going to get a lot of grief - the thing is really not flyworthy yet.

It will be one day, I think. So it may worth buying it now to save 10 bucks instead of buying it when the thing finally goes gold - but I would not spend time trying to play with it now or in the near future - it's a bet. I risk one, at this time.

Things may change at anytime, however. Check things again on every Early Access new release.

Edited by Lisias
Kraken damned auto-correctors!

Just now, Cloakedwand72 said:

I do have an I5 & 2070 super so do you think the game is kind of worth getting into?

Specs-wise, you'll likely be able to run it at a consistent 30fps at 1080p High, depending on part-count and other factors (performance has reportedly dropped the more vessels you have actively flying).

Gameplay-wise, I would recommend it if you're already a big fan of KSP. The bones are there. Assuming we get past these initial pains, it will have been well worth it for me for $50. As it is now, it isn't worth it, because it's frustrating to play at best and impossible to play at worst. But what I bought was a promise that it isn't going to be like this forever, or even for that long. There are moments in the game where I can glimpse the sublime, and I'm hoping that, in a few months, THAT will be the game I'm playing.

tl;dr: it's not worth it if you're expecting a fun or pleasant experience. If, like me, however, you love the chance to finally get to try the game out, albeit in an alpha state, and get to see how it evolves over the coming months (and years?) and to give constructive feedback, then it's totally worth it.

If you want to see a game taking shape towards the end of its development, YES it’s worth it, you rarely get to see this kind of thing from a mid-size studio if you don’t work in the industry.

If you just want to play it, then wait a few months, it is VERY rough :joy:

38 minutes ago, BobbyDausus said:

Well,at this point it is well known that the game runs very bad and the graphics are not amazing.You will be able to play 1080P medium . Keep in mind that on 1080P the game looks quite bad.You can give it a try,ask a friend to let you try it out and if you like it,go head  and buy it

Why does it look bad at 1080p? Because of the lack of AA? 

This is very much an early access release, as in, it's not finished, not by a long shot, and it's pretty buggy. If you have the hardware to run it though, it's a pretty enjoyable experience when things go right. I'd personally recommend buying only if you're excited to watch it grow from day one rather than wait for a few (or more) updates. I was going to wait because the gameplay didn't look substantially different from KSP1 sandbox but ended up buying it the first day, and experienced a lot of disappointment and awe. It's got an absolute raft of promise and I can't wait to see where it goes, but it's not fully playable yet due to certain bugs. Still, it's only the release, nowhere to go but up.

Edited by regex

1 hour ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

I do know of the controversy surrounding the KSP2 launch but I do hope they improve on  it. And I do know they will increase the price to 60/70 bucks once they get near the interstellar update and full mod support. I do have an I5 & 2070 super so do you think the game is kind of worth getting into?

Wait for a patch or two and see what it looks like then.

Only join if you are a relatively experienced Beta / Alpha player and enjoy bug hunting and reporting in hopes of making the game eventually better for all.

If you just want to play - give them time to get it up to a state where most things work like they should.

Observation; it's been a week since release without a patch.  That could indicate one of two things: they want the first patch to be very comprehensive and fix most things... or that they can't figure out what the problems are.

I'm leaning towards the first... but they should probably get something out sooner rather than later.

Worth getting? 

It depends on what you want or expect.

If you just want to play then no, not yet. The bugs and framerates can really hamper 'normal' play.  But that will improve.  I certainly don’t regret buying it 

I knew my PC would likely struggle, even before they published the specs, and actually it does better than I feared it might.

3 hours ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 2:04 PM, Lisias said:

No.

Wait a few months, otherwise you are going to get a lot of grief - the thing is really not flyworthy yet.

It will be one day, I think. So it may worth buying it now to save 10 bucks instead of buying it when the thing finally go gold - but I would not spend time trying to play with it now or in the near future - it's a bet. I risk one, at this time.

Things may change at anytime, however. Check things again on every Early Access new release.

Good advice!

On 3/3/2023 at 1:57 PM, Cloakedwand72 said:

I’m currently at the 70 cents price per hour of gameplay level.  It’ll only get better.  If you aren’t a veteran KSP player with a machine that exceeds the current minimum spec, you might want to wait a couple of patches.  

Most of the “controversy” was generated by people who think that $50 is a lot of money, that current games should run on their decade-old potato, and that games in EA should be feature complete and bug free or who couldn’t read the roadmap.  Gamers being Karens, in other words.  It’s actually a significant improvement over KSP1 in a number of respects, and once polished and feature complete is going to be great.

On 3/3/2023 at 7:57 PM, Cloakedwand72 said:

its not really worth getting in its current state, all the bugs make it almost unplayable, you can only do really basic things like launching a rocket to moon etc., though when it comes to docking/undocking, or having multiple active vessels in general, the whole game starts breaking, saves getting corrupted and so on.

however there is supposed to be an update tomorrow, lets see if they actually manage to fix this mess, best check back for new feedback in a few days

On 3/3/2023 at 1:43 PM, Majorjim! said:

Why does it look bad at 1080p? Because of the lack of AA? 

Because things are just broken. It sometimes looks good, then looks like complete crap, then good again, then a mix, then bad again.
Doesn't seem to be any reason why, its like the graphics are just getting corrupted.

EDIT: And no, my card isn't dying lol.

Edited by MechBFP

Mostly what other people have said.  The only thing I'll chime in is not to be worried about the price increase - even if it goes up to 60-70 and the extra money matters to you, there will likely be a sale on it within 3 months, this isn't a game like Factorio which will not do sales, Sales on KSP1 are constantly happening.

If you're willing to wait for a 1.0 release anyway - which is likely 2024 at the earliest - waiting for a sale is not that much more

On 3/3/2023 at 1:57 PM, Cloakedwand72 said:

No.  It is not.

1 hour ago, Observe said:

Is there anything about KSP2 that is better than KSP1?

Depends on what you want out of the game. For me it's better in pretty much every aspect except for stability, which I'm happy to be patient about.

1 hour ago, Observe said:

KSP2 falls short of the original in all areas that matter

15 minutes ago, regex said:

[KSP2 is] better in pretty much every aspect except for stability

So I hope that clears it up for you, OP. :D

Edited by Superfluous J

12 minutes ago, regex said:

Depends on what you want out of the game. For me it's better in pretty much every aspect except for stability, which I'm happy to be patient about.

How is atmospheric fight? I can get by with aircraft for a while if that aspect is stable and IF it is an improvement. Is atmospheric heating in place? Thanks.

28 minutes ago, Observe said:

How is atmospheric fight? I can get by with aircraft for a while if that aspect is stable and IF it is an improvement. Is atmospheric heating in place? Thanks.

Flight is fine.  Some people really like the improvements.  Heating - not for a while.

As I said above - unless you enjoy Alpha/Beta play - bug hunting or finding workarounds - don't get it yet.

I'm having days where its quite fun and days where I'm totally depressed at the state of the game.  Art and music are spot on.  But there are a LOT of things that should work... but don't.

Tomorrow (Thurs Mar 16) we get a patch.  Hoping for improvements - but there is so much left to do, I'd recommend waiting for the second or third if you just want to play.

2 hours ago, Observe said:

Is there anything about KSP2 that is better than KSP1? From what I can tell, KSP2 falls short of the original in all areas that matter and thus far, has nothing of significance to entice me to buy. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Taking a deep breath.

I want to be careful here. I am not a natural nay-sayer. I am a long-time fan, even super-fan of KSP.  But this game is not ready for prime time. I thought it was bad from the moment I tried it. But I would read a few positive comments on the forum saying "no no no, this game is great, you're expecting too much, it's EA, blah blah blah), and I would try again. And the result was always the same. I just felt like I was wasting time and pretending it was enjoyable. But the truth was I was not enjoying it. I was bored. This game can be summed up as follows:

Take KSP1, remove atmospheric heating, add bugs, remove working features, add bugs, remove Career and Science mode, add bugs, make the rockets more pretty, add bugs, make rockets sound awesome, add bugs, make sure to keep all the same planets and moons from KSP1, then charge 50 dollars.

Also make iffy changes to the UI (some better, some worse), to help encourage infighting among longtime fans so that you can split them into 2 groups. Those who love the new stuff (and will defend it no matter what), and those who love the old stuff (and will defend it no matter what). Almost like they watched a lot of political shows and found the best way to sew discord among their followers.

I honestly feel bad writing this. I sincerely love KSP. It is one of my favorite games of all time, and one of the best (and still most unique) games ever made. But as it stands, this is not worth it. That being said, I did not refund it. i feel as though I did my part. I gave them 50 dollars, but did not give them the bad review the game absolutely deserves. I'm in it for the the long haul. Because I think when it's finally  done, this game is gonna be fantastic. But unless you're a diehard Kerbanaut, or you just wanna follow the progress through each patch/version until the final product, I would say skip it.

And about the price going up later? I ain't buyin' that either. It sounds like a car salesman saying "come in and get these great deals before they're gone". Sure, buddy. I'll wait 'til it's been on your lot for 8 months and you drop 2 grand off the price. Thanks.

If you have mitigated expectations, are a super fan, have the patience of your favorite deity, have the curiosity of a cat on it's 8.5th life(its possible), don't have KSP1(then buy it) or any other game really, and money is not a main concern in your life. Then absolutely!  What are you waiting for, why haven't you downloaded it yet?  See how subjective this can get? lol. 

Jokes aside, if you're asking yourself this specific question, the answer is likely a hard 'no', especially with the foreknowledge you have.

BUUUT, I have no doubt that KSP2 will be a feature rich completed project, with a strong modding community... one day.

KSP-2 is fortunate in that it presides in a wide open market with little competition(Juno is the only thing that comes to mind). Maybe T2 knows it, which could partially explain why we're here.

Edited by InterstellarDrifter

7 hours ago, regex said:

Can you be more specific? From what I understand: 

Pros- graphics (debatable vs modded KSP1), paint schemes, procedural wings (are there any KSP1 my DS for that?), And UI (in most aspects)

Cons: poor performance, wobbly rockets, fuel transfer doesn't work right, docking summons the kraken, collision detection on celestial bodies often doesn't work, trajectories don't display correctly, maneuver nodes are harder to use (?), No robotics and even old KSP1 style stock-non-DLC rotors don't work, no reentry heating, I'm guessing no com-net, no career/progression mode, very limited mod options...

As far as I can tell, it's barebones KSP1, plus some graphics mods, minus a lot of other features, and with major game breaking bugs.

I am absolutely not sold on its current state, and will wait for the game to get better and/or the price to come down 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.