KSP2 worth getting?

Cloakedwand72

17 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Pros- graphics (debatable vs modded KSP1), paint schemes, procedural wings (are there any KSP1 my DS for that?), And UI (in most aspects)

There's KSP 1 mods for procedural wings. B9 proc wings, for instance.  Also a KSP mod if you want a KSP2 style part manager - it's called part commander.  There's also mods that let you paint parts, especially procedural parts.

There's really almost nothing ksp2 does besides better, licensed music that ksp1 won't do with the right mods.

7 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Taking a deep breath.

I want to be careful here. I am not a natural nay-sayer. I am a long-time fan, even super-fan of KSP.  But this game is not ready for prime time. I thought it was bad from the moment I tried it. But I would read a few positive comments on the forum saying "no no no, this game is great, you're expecting too much, it's EA, blah blah blah), and I would try again. And the result was always the same. I just felt like I was wasting time and pretending it was enjoyable. But the truth was I was not enjoying it. I was bored. This game can be summed up as follows:

Take KSP1, remove atmospheric heating, add bugs, remove working features, add bugs, remove Career and Science mode, add bugs, make the rockets more pretty, add bugs, make rockets sound awesome, add bugs, make sure to keep all the same planets and moons from KSP1, then charge 50 dollars.

Also make iffy changes to the UI (some better, some worse), to help encourage infighting among longtime fans so that you can split them into 2 groups. Those who love the new stuff (and will defend it no matter what), and those who love the old stuff (and will defend it no matter what). Almost like they watched a lot of political shows and found the best way to sew discord among their followers.

I honestly feel bad writing this. I sincerely love KSP. It is one of my favorite games of all time, and one of the best (and still most unique) games ever made. But as it stands, this is not worth it. That being said, I did not refund it. i feel as though I did my part. I gave them 50 dollars, but did not give them the bad review the game absolutely deserves. I'm in it for the the long haul. Because I think when it's finally  done, this game is gonna be fantastic. But unless you're a diehard Kerbanaut, or you just wanna follow the progress through each patch/version until the final product, I would say skip it.

And about the price going up later? I ain't buyin' that either. It sounds like a car salesman saying "come in and get these great deals before they're gone". Sure, buddy. I'll wait 'til it's been on your lot for 8 months and you drop 2 grand off the price. Thanks.

I agree with you. I could add more but no need. I did the same as you. I just want to know when we get 1.0 which wont include the features that they were showing. so at 1.0 the game will be stable then we will expect to get new features, I believe everyone bought/wanted the game for these features, this may take 2 years or more. this is really bad. we just don't know how long we are going to wait to play the game with advertised features. 

1 hour ago, Ekerci said:

I agree with you. I could add more but no need. I did the same as you. I just want to know when we get 1.0 which wont include the features that they were showing. so at 1.0 the game will be stable then we will expect to get new features, I believe everyone bought/wanted the game for these features, this may take 2 years or more. this is really bad. we just don't know how long we are going to wait to play the game with advertised features. 

Two years is pretty much exactly what I was thinking as well. By then I'm guessing some kind of career/science progression, the colony stuff, and hopefully interstellar. As for the guys waiting on multi-player? God knows. Might be a long wait.

As an aside, I keep wondering how they're gonna do it. SOI based, I would imagine. Still presents a lot of problems, though. And looking at the game now, tough to see.

5 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Can you be more specific?

I like it better than KSP1. Yes, it's a buggy mess at the moment but I have a computer that can handle it and I'm really enjoying the experience of messing around in a new game, especially one with such awesome sound design and terrain. That will probably grow old but I have zero reason to go back to KSP1 and, in fact, had no reason even before I bought KSP2.

KSP1 unfortunately never really did anything to keep my interest. The graphics are muddy and have always looked like the last decade, the interface looks like Windows 95 and is poorly laid out, the science and career modes are uninspired and dull gameplay at best, and the terrain is extremely polygonal and boring. Mods didn't save that for me, the base game continued to show through. I'm done with it and have been done with it for several years now.

5 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I am absolutely not sold on its current state, and will wait for the game to get better and/or the price to come down 

Then don't buy it! Clearly it's not a game that's going to make you happy.

Edited by regex

14 hours ago, Observe said:

Is there anything about KSP2 that is better than KSP1? From what I can tell, KSP2 falls short of the original in all areas that matter and thus far, has nothing of significance to entice me to buy. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Lots of stuff! Off the top of my head: 

• Part look and feel plus paint jobs. They gel into craft now, instead of looking like something cobbled together from spare parts.
  • Part selector in VAB.
  • Multiple subassemblies in the same workspace in VAB.
  • Much more positive feel to snapping parts together in VAB.
  • Better (IMO) translate/rotate tool in VAB.
  • PROCEDURAL WINGS ZOMG THEY'RE AMAZING
  • Swerv
  • Aerodynamic flight -- if you design your plane well it's just overall easier to fly, feels a hair closer to realistic too IMO
  • Terrain visuals -- way, way, WAY more detailed and realistic on all the bodies
  • Burn under warp -- although sadly this is badly marred by bugs

It's true that there's a lot that's missing, broken, or janky, so if you just want to play a game, wait a few months. Right now it's really only for you if you're interested in being part of seeing it come together and are willing to take a chance on a clearly unfinished game.

1 hour ago, regex said:

The science and career modes are uninspired and dull gameplay at best,

I absolutely agree that the science and career modes are lacking. I was quite disappointed by the "First Contract" update. It remains to be seen if KSP2 will do any better 

1 hour ago, regex said:

and the terrain is extremely polygonal and boring.

Agreed, the increased terrain detail was one of the things that excited me about KSP2 (I said as much on the giveaway thread). I'm sure the terrain is still polygonal, but I am guessing the "grid size" is much smaller (like arma:cwc's islands being about the same size as arma 3's Tania island, but the original had a height map with a 50m grid size, and tanoa's grid size was 3.75m).

I haven't been able to judge that well from videos though. Can't tell how much is due to more detailed geometry vs just textures

1 hour ago, regex said:

Then don't buy it! Clearly it's not a game that's going to make you happy.

Not in it's*current state*.

I do still hold out hope that it will get good. However I am not going to contribute to any impression that what they've done so far is satisfactory for the price 

3 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

However I am not going to contribute to any impression that what they've done so far is satisfactory for the price 

Are you saying that I'm somehow dishonest or something for claiming I like and enjoy the game, and that I'm fine with the price?

I'll say it again: It depends on what you want out of the game. I'm finding it a very fun and sometimes frustrating early access experience. It's been worth my money so far and I expect it will continue to be worth my money. If it goes away tomorrow, well, I've played at least fifty hours so I'm fairly satisfied that I didn't waste the money. I was never going back to KSP1 so any comparisons to KSP1 are pretty much irrelevant to me. I'm getting what I want out of the game. If you don't think you'll get that then it's clearly not worth your time.

Just now, Majorjim! said:

Serious question: why are you even here? It sounds like you don’t like KSP… 

Serious question: Why did you ask such a ridiculous question? I like KSP2. This thread is about KSP2, in a forum about KSP2.

3 hours ago, regex said:

Are you saying that I'm somehow dishonest or something for claiming I like and enjoy the game, and that I'm fine with the price?

No, I am not saying that at all.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I am saying that our opinions different markedly, not that you opinion is dishonest.

I just want them to do better. What I have seen is not enough, and I wouldn't want them to think their progress so far is satisfactory 

On 3/3/2023 at 1:57 PM, Cloakedwand72 said:

I do know of the controversy surrounding the KSP2 launch but I do hope they improve on  it. And I do know they will increase the price to 60/70 bucks once they get near the interstellar update and full mod support. I do have an I5 & 2070 super so do you think the game is kind of worth getting into?

The patch comes with lots of QOL improvements.

I'd say it's looking a lot more "Beta" now than "Alpha".  Still - I am finding LOTS of bugs - just not as awful as before.

The team did a really good job with this patch.  But I reiterate my advice - if you're not willing to be a bug hunter... I'd still wait a bit.

Definitely moving in the right direction!

On 3/4/2023 at 4:57 AM, Cloakedwand72 said:

I do know of the controversy surrounding the KSP2 launch but I do hope they improve on  it. And I do know they will increase the price to 60/70 bucks once they get near the interstellar update and full mod support. I do have an I5 & 2070 super so do you think the game is kind of worth getting into?

Wait a couple of years. Game should be close to ready in that time.

On 3/16/2023 at 5:45 PM, regex said:

Serious question: Why did you ask such a ridiculous question? I like KSP2. This thread is about KSP2, in a forum about KSP2.

You’ve been here on the forum for years talking about KSP, a game you say you don’t even enjoy. 

Edited by Majorjim!
Spelling

6 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

You’ve been here on the forum for years talking about KSP, a game you say you don’t even enjoy. 

What are you, the game police? "Hey, you had to have liked the last game in order to play this one!" [snip] I find KSP1 to ultimately be an utterly bland game without mods and I'm way past dealing with the headaches of a modded install.

I took a couple of years off, now I'm back to see if Intercept can do any better with KSP2. Are you just mad because I'm not dooming it up like you are right now?

Edited by Vanamonde

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:
On 3/16/2023 at 5:45 PM, regex said:

Enforced positivity about something is toxic.

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

I disagree with @regex about a lot of things (and agree on many others) but you cannot fault his consistency. He was very vocal in his displeasure at the path KSP1 took (and I know because I was in the other side of many of his opinions) and then he vanished for years (I know that too because I missed him).

7 hours ago, regex said:

What are you, the game police?

Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to drop your opinion, and put your hands behind your back. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say, can be used against you in the Hype train thread.

Edited by cocoscacao

45 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to drop your opinion, and put your hands behind your back. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say, can be used against you in the Hype train thread.

Nice. Now go have yourself a donut.

Edit: I should add that I agree wholeheartedly with @regex. I stopped playing KSP1 back in about 2014 because I lost interest in it. KSP2 has me back playing and I enjoy it, warts and all. 

Edited by PakledHostage

Currently I would say it is not worth the price yet, mostly because it still is unstable.
It just needs a few more good patches and content releases to have it on-par with the original KSP, which I expect will be within 1 year (hopefully). 

Then I think it will be worth it, in preparation for the future updates like colonies, interstellar and more.

The price I feel is quite hefty for what you get, but in the end I think it'll be worth the investment, but give it some more time.

The answer to the OP's question really lies in what they think a game - any game - is worth.  And that needs to be tempered with the fact that paying the $50 now does not just guarantee the game in its current state, but it includes all patches and roadmap features to get the game to v1.0.  And the OP also needs to understand that the game IS playable in its current state.  You can build rockets and planes, you can launch them, and you can go interplanetary and back.  The issue becomes whether or not the OP has the time or patience to do that.  Some people do, some people don't; that's just a simple fact.

For me, I'll say that yes, I think the game in its current state is worth it.  Especially considering the piece of mind that comes with knowing I'll eventually get everything on the roadmap and all the bugs fixed.  It may not happen overnight, but it will be worth it - to me, in my own opinion - to wait for that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.