Week One Adventures

Nate Simpson

What a week!

First off, a huge thank you to all of the people who have decided to join us here at the beginning of Early Access. It’s been so exciting to see what you’ve done with KSP2’s new parts, and even though there have been some bumps in the road, it’s been so fun to explore the new Kerbolar System through your eyes. At the end of each day, our team has enjoyed camping out in the official Intercept Games Discord’s KSP2 screenshots channel and basking in the endless waves of creativity, innovation, and pure insanity. This community does not disappoint!

Early Access has also yielded its first crop of bugs for us to fix, and we’re already making good headway. Our first Early Access update, which is planned to take place in the next couple of weeks, will contain the following fixes (as well as many other improvements that we’ll break down in more detail in our patch notes when the update goes out):

Performance/Optimization

• :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):Optimization: Main menu loading time reduced for min spec machines
  • Optimization: runway light geometry simplified
  • Optimization: engine exhaust CPU usage reduced
  • Optimization: 50% reduction in main thread time spent on UI

Flight/Physics

• :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):Fixed: KSC and other objects follow vehicle to orbit
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):Fixed: Engine plate floating node joints less rigid than other stack node joints (were not receiving multijoint reinforcement)
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):Fixed: Planned trajectory enters runaway state when switching between flight view and map while engine is burning
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):Fixed: Kerbals fall through ground when traversing ground near launchpad
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):Fixed: Spotlight/headlight parts have dim bulbs and low effective range
  • Fixed: Low-mass parts never stop moving on low gravity celestial bodies
  • Fixed: RoveMax TR4 wheels sink into ground and spring craft upward when returned to focus
  • Fixed: Loss of vehicle control when reverting to launch on runway
  • Fixed: Physics impulse occurs when engine runs out of one fuel type, causing loss of vehicle
  • Fixed: Game breaking when loading to VAB or loading a saved game with a vessel in flight
  • Fixed: Animation stutters when EVA Kerbal is running
  • Fixed: Large ladder disappears when base of ladder outside of camera view

Environments

• :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):Fixed: Ground decal applies to vehicles traversing margin of KSC grounds (removes Predator camo effect applied to rovers at edges of KSC)
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):Fixed: Kerbin atmosphere and ocean vanish after returning to KSC from non-atmospheric celestial body
  • Improved: Floating rocks/mesh scatter (floating reduced)
  • Fixed: Kerbol lens flare still visible when observer is close to star
  • Fixed: Improved collision for structures around KSC, including parking garage and fuel facilities
  • Fixed: Clouds missing from celestial bodies when viewed from long distance
  • Fixed: Atmosphere missing from Kerbin when viewed from the Mun’s SOI
  • Fixed: Laythe atmosphere appears broken in map view

User Interface

• :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):Fixed: Camera middle-mouse movement axis does not switch to horizontal when in horizontal build mode
  • Fixed: Launch Assembly tool breaks after repeated use in VAB
  • Fixed: Debris not targetable
  • Fixed: Time warp controls not accessible on KSC landing screen
  • Fixed: Debris trajectory lines only appear after switching to flight and back to map
  • Fixed: Some graphics settings adjust to “medium” after setting quality preset to “high”
  • Fixed: Game crashes when returning to the main menu from VAB
  • Fixed: Broken/empty Kerbal portraits in flight view
  • Fixed: No orbit line after loading a saved game
  • Fixed: Some difficulty settings don’t persist after ESC menu closure
  • Fixed: No portrait representation in flight for probe cores

We appreciate your patience as we continue to bring improvements to the game, and we thank you for your help in continuing to identify bugs and report them to us via our Customer Support page.

In addition to the above bug fixes, you’ll notice a number of refinements, including increased vehicle part polish and an updated map interface. Ongoing performance improvements will also surface in this and future updates. We will provide a more detailed blog post soon to give you a better view into the ways that we’re assessing performance data, as well as what steps we’re taking to improve framerates on all platforms. Hang in there, we’re working very hard on this right now!

Finally, if you have any questions about the game, please check out the FAQ, which our community team has been diligently updating to address today’s most frequently-encountered questions.

*:1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):- Highly requested by the community

Any fix for decouplers getting stuck on stuff? I can't get a rover to the Mun because I'm not very good at building rockets and my "solutions" all end up having a decoupler get stuck on an engine bell or something and causing issues. 

Appreciate the communication! Just curious, where do I turn my eyes most keenly to watch for said blog post? I'm so outdated that up until a few weeks ago I had the old KSP Blog RSS feed on my firefox toolbar but I imagine that's beyond outmoded now :D

ey this is awesome

as we know there are files in game for interstellar stuff and colonies is this due to a parallel developement process? if so could you give us a rough time estimate between updates?

also will roadmap goals be completed in multiple updates or singular updates?

4 minutes ago, Domonian said:

Any fix for decouplers getting stuck on stuff? I can't get a rover to the Mun because I'm not very good at building rockets and my "solutions" all end up having a decoupler get stuck on an engine bell or something and causing issues. 

This, and the unstable orbits (changing PE/AP without forces) both seem fairly critical. As does the fuel-crossfeed bug. Would be nice to acknowledge them as well, even if they are not in the first patch.

Finally, with the performance seeming to show that the main cause of performance issues are the terrain rendering, what net benefit in performance can we expect from those other performance fixes? 50% less time spent on UI sounds good, but not if it's only 1% of the total time anyway.

3 minutes ago, Stoup said:

Appreciate the communication! Just curious, where do I turn my eyes most keenly to watch for said blog post? I'm so outdated that up until a few weeks ago I had the old KSP Blog RSS feed on my firefox toolbar but I imagine that's beyond outmoded now :D

Those will pop up here.

Glad to see so many issues being resolved. Unfortunately none of the ones listed are ones I've experienced besides a couple here and there, but look forward to the map changes and whatever maneuvre node issues the team has gotten to fix. Also, holding out hope either autostrut or reentry (both would be good too!) to be in the update... :cool:

Hey Nate! Great to hear that fixes are well in progress.

"2" looks and sounds awesome. Once the foundations are firmed up and we can start to see some more of the good stuff you guys 'n gals have been working on... just... wow!

Thank you. Take your time to fix as many game-braking issues as you can.

At the moment, to be honest, it is less fun to invest time in this version. Looking forward to a have a more consistent run at KSP2 once critical bugs have been squished.

4 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

Any chance that we can fix opening the maneuver node dropping data from view before the first update? (right click sticky intercepts/PE/AP etc)

3 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

In addition to the above bug fixes, you’ll notice a number of refinements, including increased vehicle part polish and an updated map interface.

Thanks Nate! Will there be more creative content added to the game so the planets and moons don't feel empty and barren?

2 minutes ago, MarcAbaddon said:

This, and the unstable orbits (changing PE/AP without forces) both seem fairly critical. As does the fuel-crossfeed bug. Would be nice to acknowledge them as well, even if they are not in the first patch.

Finally, with the performance seeming to show that the main cause of performance issues are the terrain rendering, what net benefit in performance can we expect from those other performance fixes? 50% less time spent on UI sounds good, but not if it's only 1% of the total time anyway.

Point of clarity: this is not a list of "bugs we are aware of," this is a list detailing a subset of the issues that will be addressed in the first update. We have a very good sense of which of the current bugs are affecting gameplay quality the most, but in the interest of managing expectations we will not pre-announce any fixes until they have been tested and verified on our end. We appreciate the detailed and thorough reporting we've received from our community so far - that reporting is helping us to determine task priority and we are working hard on fixing those items. Since not all fixes require the same amount of effort, the order in which these items are completed does not necessarily reflect the order in which they are being assigned internally.

3 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Point of clarity: this is not a list of "bugs we are aware of," this is a list detailing a subset of the issues that will be addressed in the first update. We have a very good sense of which of the current bugs are affecting gameplay quality the most, but in the interest of managing expectations we will not pre-announce any fixes until they have been tested and verified on our end. We appreciate the detailed and thorough reporting we've received from our community so far - that reporting is helping us to determine task priority and we are working hard on fixing those items. Since not all fixes require the same amount of effort, the order in which these items are completed does not necessarily reflect the order in which they are being assigned internally.

So to put it even simpler:

"Fixed" in your list above = you have already fixed it, this is guaranteed for the next update. Plus, there will be more fixes and improvement depending on how much you can get reliably done until the planned patch release. But you don't want to announce anything before it is in a "Fixed" state as well.

Am I correct?

Thanks for the update, this is helpful!

Edited by ShadowZone
I can't spell.

[snip]

OK - thanks. Generally, I agree that there's not much use to show a full list of issues you are aware of, but not adressed in the patch notes. It's just that those items seem fairly high priority, at least they are to me. So when they get added to the list either this patch or the next please give them the little rocket :)

Edited by Vanamonde