Week One Adventures

Nate Simpson

4 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

:1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):Fixed: Ground decal applies to vehicles traversing margin of KSC grounds (removes Predator camo effect applied to rovers at edges of KSC)

Awe man, cosplaying the Predator was so cool...

4 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:
  • Fixed: RoveMax TR4 wheels sink into ground and spring craft upward when returned to focus

Should also ask, will this fix apply to all wheels when driving? I've had times where I'm driving along and the whole thing just shoots up into the air.

Edited by regex

2 minutes ago, RockyTV said:

not like Intercept Games and Private Division have the resources from Take2 at their disposal, not like they have a multi billion dollar publisher taking care of the game... oh right, they're indie devs, aren't they?

take2 is there to give some money and perhaps some help how to do the game without failing completely and take as much money as possible with as little to give, its totally not like a small team getting monetary support and "wisdom" from a large corporation, and take2 is ONLY there for profits at the end of the day.. the entire team got "run them down and buy them up" when covid hit, so its no surprise that people are expecting take 2 to dispose millions of dollars on devs....

take2 is only really here for the money, and not giving actual support at the end of the day for what people are really expecting.

11 minutes ago, RockyTV said:

not like Intercept Games and Private Division have the resources from Take2 at their disposal, not like they have a multi billion dollar publisher taking care of the game... oh right, they're indie devs, aren't they?

Yes they are. "Private Division funds and publishes indie games developed by small to mid-sized studios."

You could imagine that studios under PD get smaller budgets than huge titles like GTA. And Intercept still most likely is a relatively small studio.

Im curious if theres a plan to display a list of triaged bugs that we can have visibility on?

Seems a large volume of the community is eager to know what has at least been confirmed as a bug/change that will be worked on?

Not to say these fix lists aren't a fantastic way to keep us in the loop (they are, and i think theyd be fantastic to maintin over the first few months of Early access at a minimum), but additional visibility on the 'hit list' you guys are working on, might help to also quell some of major complaints, by showing an objective list of what you guys are tackling. I think many more players will begin to appreciate that some of their expectations of fixes aren't realistic to expect in this first update.

(Definitely not just flipping a few switches!)

Nate, Tha is for the update.  Can I suggest that you guys need a community manager or two to keep us informed? It buys a lot of grace and good will from the community to just know what you're working on and why.  We know developers never know how long something will take.  It's always a guess.  So having a face that explains it really goes a long way. 

This should have been posted on reddit, for example.  I don't the the majority of the community uses the ksp forums and there's a million subscribers on r/kerbalspaceprogram

1 hour ago, Nate Simpson said:

This is actually a great question! We have a very strong sense of which bugs affect the gameplay experience the most right now, and those issues have been assigned accordingly. Unfortunately, there is often a correlation between the profundity of a bug and the amount of time it takes to correct. This sometimes has the effect of "low importance" bugs seeming to get fixed on a faster timeline than "game breaking" bugs, and this is interpreted by some observers to mean that those bugs were more important to us. This is not the case. There are many people working on many bugs in parallel, and some of the systems involved are highly complex.

All I do is ask great questions. 

I know the devs will never read this, but you should be shamed of the game you launched and the state it is in. 

I jsut spend a few hours of my precious game time building a rocket to fly to Duna, and after struggling with many failed launches at least partly due to buggy physics and stages randomly reordering in the VAB I finally got to orbit, and half way to Duna KSC is floating next to me. Then one of my side mounted thrusters just spontaneously separates from my rocket. Not a couple, jsut an attached part no longer attached. 
Like 3 hours or more on this mission and its gone because the part jsut separated and I can't even. 

I'm sad, I[m frustrated, and I have NEVER in 23 years of gaming had such a non functional product, especially as this price point. 

These are not bugs and issues, this is a fundamentally non functioning game where even the minimally included core features do not work. I should have requested a refund but I left it idle too long and steam thinks I've played 20 hours. I have yet to have anything other than breaks and frustration, and my performance isn't even that bad. 

Its a hot mess in every way, it is not a functional game, and certainly not near where it should be at this stage or ESPECIALLY this price point. 

Shame on the developers/company for releasing this. I'm beyond frustrated at this point. 

1 hour ago, Pgabrielmnecraft said:

Hey @Nate Simpson, is terrain optimization on the list of things to solve? Cuz its the thing that most makes players be with headaches on the game.

This. I got the game day 1 but stopped playing/testing it. I'm just slightly under the recommanded specs and still can't play properly with 2 to 5 fps as soon as a celestial body is in the view. I'd love to spend more time on ksp2, but I just can't because of that

36 minutes ago, regex said:

I've had times where I'm driving along and the whole thing just shoots up into the air.

I don't think that's wheels.  I've had rovers just randomly spin out.  I'm thinking these are vertices that we're impacting... ground vertices.

6 minutes ago, FlazeTheDragon said:

Pretty sad that the drag issues with reaction wheels/cargo bays/batterys etc etc is not in the patch notes.

I really hope the fix for it will come soon.

hate to say this, this has fixed my f104 build even more, besides the scoop intake

The very first thing on that list should have been for your rocket/plane not to fall apart on the damn runway. This game isn't playable in any sorts of fun other than laughing at other people having a hard time trying to even build a simple damn rocket. For you guys to continually make comments about not getting production because you are too busy playing it is pure lies. As a developer, there is no way I could sit there and play this crap without fixing it first.  I have been sitting here for multiple hours trying to build a rocket section for an SSTO and I can't get it to stay in one piece with no less then 30 struts it. I even hacked the physics file bumping up the setting to 200 times and it still falls apart. None of the strut sections, the radial adapter or pretty much any of the other structural pieces are strong enough to even hold up themselves let alone a tank section.  It's time to stop the BS and lies, this community deserves much better than that.

4 minutes ago, Nuggzy said:

The very first thing on that list should have been for your rocket/plane not to fall apart on the damn runway.

The first 4 planes I built had zero issues, including my my first SSTO which made it to orbit on first flight. 

This game requires learning and patience to understand how it works. It always has. 

25 minutes ago, colin_in_space said:

this is a fundamentally non functioning game

(snip)

I've played 20 hours.

It's ok to be disappointed, it's ok to be frustrated. By all means vent. But obviously it's not fundamentally broken if you played 20 hours .

I've had a lot of fun so far. Yes it's full of bugs, and I'm disappointed at the state of the game too. But buying an EA game is always a gamble. 

Truth is we don't know all the reasons that led the the current state of the game, telling the devs they should feel shame is taking the frustration too far in my opinion. You can either have faith that things will get better, or accept you made a bad gamble. But the devs are people, and regardless of the current situation the best way forwards is constructive feedback. 

7 minutes ago, Raptus said:

The first 4 planes I built had zero issues, including my my first SSTO which made it to orbit on first flight. 

This game requires learning and patience to understand how it works. It always has. 

I have played this since the launch of KSP 1 before it was even available on Steam. It was never this bad. There are dozens of videos on youtube showing exactly what I am saying so don't act like it's a perfect game, it's far far from it.  

Nate, it gives me great hope to see you and the other developers  working so hard to make the dream real. Even in the real aerospace industry, revising our initial engineering is just a part of life.

As exciting as it is to see updates (and I am excited!) I'm disappointed to see that none of the utterly game-breaking bugs I've experienced are on the list.

Just a few:
- Fairings essentially don't work at all.
- Ships freak out and explode during launch.
- Ships freak out and explode on loading a quicksave.
- Ships are reduced to their command module on deleting another ship from the same launch.
- Ships freak out and explode on landing.
- Ships freak out and explode while doing nothing at all.

I'm still super hyped for the future of KSP, but seeing a bunch of minor improvements (and feature polish) while the game is essentially unplayable is very disheartening. I'm currently playing KSP 1 right now, just to get my fix.