Just hoping the way rings are made gets changed over time

mcwaffles2003

So I wen't to the new planet thats in KSP 2, think its called Dres

In going there I landed on it and looked up at the rings... They are thin and tiny... but pretty.

But then I thought, hey, lets go crash into them (fully expecting to not actually crash). As I got close to the rings I noticed its made of little non-interactive bits flying by, how neat is that?

Spoiler

f757fdc3b3307371867f1e5fdad2a9c7.jpg

But then I went on to make my orbit the same as the rings and I noticed everything still flies by at the same speed.

I get that this is just a cinematic for them and Im happy the rings have stuff in them and I know now isn't the time to be adding little BS features... but I hope this changes in time so that the stuff in the rings moved at its actual velocity instead of being an environmental render or animated skin or something. Also, happy the rings aren't just a flat image in space...

I'd be interested to know what the long-term vision for the ring is. It's pretty but seeing all those rocks zipping by without damaging your spacecraft is sort of immersion breaking. For it being able to actually collide with your craft you'd need actual velocity anyway. 

It's not possible to keep track of every rock in the ring of course, but you should be able to fake it by having them spawn and despawn at the physics range borders.

I don't recall where exactly, but this topic was mentioned by, I think one of the community managers? They did say that it was gonna be changed, again with no specific timeframe

1 hour ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

So I wen't to the new planet thats in KSP 2, think its called Dres

In going there I landed on it and looked up at the rings... They are thin and tiny... but pretty.

But then I thought, hey, lets go crash into them (fully expecting to not actually crash). As I got close to the rings I noticed its made of little non-interactive bits flying by, how neat is that?

Reveal hidden contents

f757fdc3b3307371867f1e5fdad2a9c7.jpg

But then I went on to make my orbit the same as the rings and I noticed everything still flies by at the same speed.

I get that this is just a cinematic for them and Im happy the rings have stuff in them and I know now isn't the time to be adding little BS features... but I hope this changes in time so that the stuff in the rings moved at its actual velocity instead of being an environmental render or animated skin or something. Also, happy the rings aren't just a flat image in space...

Did you set Env. Prop Density and Draw Distance to max?

1 hour ago, LameLefty said:

LOLwhut? Dres has been in the game since the beginning. It’s got rings now, but it’s not a new planetary body.

Uhh, no it hasn't, Dres is new and there was no such planet in KSP 1, are you crazy?

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

Did you set Env. Prop Density and Draw Distance to max?

I did now, not much changed

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Uhh, no it hasn't, Dres is new and there was no such planet in KSP 1, are you crazy?

If you’re running some  idiotic forum joke, let it go. Dres has been in the game since 0.18 and I’ve visited it multiple times in KSP1. 

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Dres

Edited by LameLefty

37 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

If you’re running some  idiotic forum joke, let it go. Dres has been in the game since 0.18 and I’ve visited it multiple times in KSP1. 

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Dres

Uhh... no... it hasn't. This planet has never been in the game and I suggest you seek immediate help for your hallucinations

Spoiler

giphy.webp

Spoiler

rick-astley-never-gonna-give-you-up.gif

Edited by mcwaffles2003

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.