Parts Manager Suggestion

The parts manager is a really nice addition to the game, as it allows for easier access to parts that are hidden and more awkward to reach, however I have a suggestion.

As you already know, many people miss having the ability to right click on a part and having the ability to see the settings for that individual part. Having the parts manager open up as a large box just takes up too much room on the screen for such a small change you want to make.

What I'd suggest is to still have access to the parts manager via the button at the bottom of the screen. But when right clicking on an individual part, it only brings up a small pop-up menu for that part only, like in KSP1. That way you have the best of both worlds.

Also the close button at the top right corner of the parts manager needs to be larger, it's kinda difficult to click on it and turn the menu off. I've found myself having the just click on the parts manager button at the bottom of the screen instead.

2 hours ago, Wise Mule said:

But when right clicking on an individual part, it only brings up a small pop-up menu for that part only, like in KSP1. That way you have the best of both worlds.

All it needs is to open the manager window resized to whatever part is picked, not full screen height.

I love the new part manager! So much value to being able to see all parts on the vessel in one place, no need to hunt around in the dark trying desperately to find the correct part to click on. The ability to open the part manager in map mode (unless I'm mistaken?) is so useful - de-rate your engines in the map while planning a manoeuvre, open your solar panels, adjust your parachute deployment settings, etc, all from one central menu. Just brilliant to have this built into the game in such a slick way.

But! It really should not be what opens when you right click on a specific part. By clicking on a part you've made an explicit choice that you want information about that part, not all the parts on the ship. The ability to see the details for exactly, and only, the part you clicked on has also got a ton of value. And I feel like this is where the disconnect comes from in the comments I've seen in Youtube videos - people frustrated that they don't need to see all parts on the ship when they right-click the engine. And really, you don't need that.

So totally support the suggestion in this thread - was going to make a similar one myself. Please don't remove the new part manager, but improve it by implementing a part-specific version for right-click. You could maybe go even further by having a 'pop-out' or "up" button on the right-click display to open this out in to the full part manager or something. The mods that added central part lists in KSP1 were always really useful - but crucially they didn't remove the standard "one part right click" method.

On 3/5/2023 at 6:59 PM, The Aziz said:

All it needs is to open the manager window resized to whatever part is picked, not full screen height.

As long as it scrolls to show the desired part automatically :D.

It would be a real pain if you needed to find it yourself.

12 hours ago, Sea_Kerman said:

Also the current implementation does not allow you to have multiple parts open and onscreen

Yeah this needs addressing. There's probably an argument either way about a 'global' parts list needing (or not) multiple windows if you can also have multiple right-click 'single' part windows, but you definitely need a way to details about multiple different parts side by side.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the OP. Having the Parts Manager is definitely a step up if you have a large complex craft with many parts behind fairings, structural pieces, cargo bays, etc. However, the old system was much more efficient for craft building in that it only presented the information that you wanted at that moment, but still allowed you to pin the information to keep it open so you could have several open at once.

I think the OPs suggestion of having the Parts Manager as an optional pop-up window via a widget icon at the bottom would be preferable, but the legacy KSP1 system for when you right click directly on a part itself.

On 3/8/2023 at 1:34 AM, Picard2 said:

You could maybe go even further by having a 'pop-out' or "up" button on the right-click display to open this out in to the full part manager or something.

You may be onto something here. As long as the lag spike (from calling up the full part list) is isolated to that specific button, and not just from right clicking a single part. 

As for the rest of your post, spot on. 

Completely agreed.
There is a LOT of potential in the new parts manager that I would like to see fully fleshed out.

It needs to be re-organizable so that parts can be grouped together visually and/or functionally.

Parts need to be re-nameable or at least have a notes area. 8 copies of the same part name all stacked together isn't the best if you want to find and adjust one of them quickly.

Part groups should have functional connections. A set of tanks grouped together (for instance) could act as a single "virtual tank" for resource management purposes. A group of solar panels and radiators could be set to trigger in the actions panel by group name instead of individually, which would save time hunting down all the bits.

There will need to be a search panel for finding parts within larger assemblies, search by name, type or contents of notes. There is SO much that can be done in this space!

Also, keep the old  KSP click a part for just the part. It's a clean way to get in and out of simple adjustments.

Edited by Donkey32

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.