Kerbal Space Program 2 now has more negative reveiews than the original game.

Turtlegirl1209

1 hour ago, Turtlegirl1209 said:

KSP 1 current negative reviews : 5,852

KSP 2 current negative reviews : 6,000

oof

I'm surprised it took this long, they were at 4000 negative after just 2 days - Sales must be following the standard sharktooth profile, but compressed down to just a 1-2 days for the peak, vs 1-2 week like most game launches.  Well, first patch might get some new blood if it's good enough.  

6 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

big suprise, but lets give them 1 more chance to fix stuff with the coming patch

if they dont at least make the game playable, people will unleash a dung storm the likes of which has never been seen on the face of this planet, and we can consider ksp2 dead for good

Let's not make it bigger than it is. At the very worst it'll be a disappointing successor to a game we like. Hardly a cause worthy of 'dung storms'. 

And having the first patch make it fully playable is pretty high expectations, there needs to be good progress and that'd be ok even if there are still serious left. Just demonstrate that issues are understood and can be fixed.

4 hours ago, Turtlegirl1209 said:

KSP 1 current negative reviews : 5,852

KSP 2 current negative reviews : 6,000

oof

It's worst than that!

All that reviews happened in the very first days:

RABlS6E.png

Now compare with the whole life reviews from KSP1:

5hFNxNU.png

Do you see any red dots on the leftmost part of the graph? If you look closely, you will find a few, but that's all.

Additionally, new reviews means new people buying the game, right? Did you noticed how reviewing stalled after February 27? This means that or people stopped reviewing the game, or people stopped buying the game. We don't have how to know how many copies are being sold, but we can know how many people are playing KSP2 - and since people that buy a game usually wants to play with it, we can have at least a heartbit of the sales by watching how many people are playing the thing:

gVwnukg.png

So, yeah, things are a bit bleak right now: reviews are almost stalled, and very, very few people are playing KSP2 right now.

Edited by Lisias
tyops

I'm not surprised. The release was a wreck and we don't have a precise ETA for the first update that will fix the game breaking issues and bugs.

Hopefully people will be editing their reviews once its in a better state , whenever that is (I know I will be)

12 minutes ago, Tazooka said:

I'm not surprised. The release was a wreck and we don't have a precise ETA for the first update that will fix the game breaking issues and bugs.

Hopefully people will be editing their reviews once its in a better state , whenever that is (I know I will be)

IMHO, the worst bugs should be tackled down in a "Fail Fast, Fail Early, Fail Often" process - too many showstoppers being pushed at once and you have too much expectations to satisfy on a single release. So you are putting yourself in an  enormous risk of allowing a single mishap to ruin the whole release.

Looking in that KSP1 graph above, almost all the bad reviews happened in early 2018. Looking a bit more, you will find that their finest hour happened sometime later, in 2020. And, boy, that was a peak!

Trust is hard-earned and easily lost.

Edited by Lisias
fixing the quote

1 hour ago, MarcAbaddon said:

Let's not make it bigger than it is. At the very worst it'll be a disappointing successor to a game we like. Hardly a cause worthy of 'dung storms'. 

And having the first patch make it fully playable is pretty high expectations, there needs to be good progress and that'd be ok even if there are still serious left. Just demonstrate that issues are understood and can be fixed.

All of the above.

At the end of the day we’re talking about a computer game here so let’s try and keep some perspective.

Also ‘gamers losing their dung about something’ is hardly newsworthy these days.

1 hour ago, KSK said:

At the end of the day we’re talking about a computer game here so let’s try and keep some perspective.

At the end of the day, we are talking about a Product with years of upfront investment that can easily reach 9 or 10 figures and a lot of investors eager to get something of it back in the verge of an economical crisis (and I'm kindly ignoring the political and military ones).

It may be just a game for you, but there's a lot of people expecting to make a living on it.

40 minutes ago, IrisArt2 said:

sad

The darkest hour of the day is always before dawn. ;) 

We need to keep our lights on in the mean time, however, and this is what we are talking about.

Edited by Lisias
Hit "save" too soon.

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

At the end of the day, we are talking about a Product with years of upfront investment that can easily reach 9 or 10 figures and a lot of investors eager to get something of it back in the verge of an economical crisis (and I'm kindly ignoring the political and military ones).

It may be just a game for you, but there's a lot of people expecting to make a living on it.

The darkest hour of the day is always before dawn. ;) 

We need to keep our lights on in the mean time, however, and this is what we are talking about.

Yes it's just a game for me because objectively, that's what KSP 2 is - a game.

The fact that it's also a product with investment behind it is irrelevant to me because I'm not involved in making it or investing in it. Would I feel sorry for people losing their jobs if KSP2 turned out to be a flop? Yes I would,  but no more so than I'd feel sorry for anyone losing their jobs under any other circumstances. Would I feel sorry for the investors? Unsure without more information, but I will say that 'the value of your investments can go down as well as up' is a well-worn (but seemingly oft-forgotten) mantra.

Anyway, none of this is relevant to the post which MarcAbaddon (and then I) was replying to:

"Big suprise, but lets give them 1 more chance to fix stuff with the coming patch

if they dont at least make the game playable, people will unleash a dung storm the likes of which has never been seen on the face of this planet, and we can consider ksp2 dead for good."

Which, with respect, sounds like typical exaggeration from  a disappointed game fan.

1 minute ago, KSK said:

Your definition of "objectively" is… somewhat subjective, I think.

Companies don't make games. Companies make products, some of them are games. People willing to see a game to thrive need to keep that in perspective.

20 minutes ago, Maria Sirona said:

While our disgruntlement at the current buggy state of the game is justified, it is still too early to criticize it so harshly- it is highly unfinished. 

We've had a rocky start but it will (hopefully) get better.

There's nothing wrong with KSP2, the "game".  We are facing some serious problems on KSP2 the "product".

The code base wasn't mature enough for launching, it was not ready to be considered a product yet. We can speculate about the reasons the codebase wasn't gold yet at the launch, but only the guys directly involved on development can really talk about and they won't - but the real reason KSP2 is facing so much backslash now is directly (and probably solely) due the the premature launch of a perfectly fine but still immature codebase as it was a near finished product.

It's important, IMHO, to address the problem correctly because the price on not doing it will be the wrong people getting screwed by problems beyound their control - what, frankly, it's not only unfair but also perpetuates the problem creating a vicious cycle where everybody (including us) will be caught into a race to the bottom.

9 hours ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

big suprise, but lets give them 1 more chance to fix stuff with the coming patch

if they dont at least make the game playable, people will unleash a dung storm the likes of which has never been seen on the face of this planet, and we can consider ksp2 dead for good

The "dung storm" is already here with a shocking number of low quality, add nothing helpful to the conversation but simply whine and threaten the devs posts. It's raining heavily and it reaks. 

Edited by mcwaffles2003

6 hours ago, KSK said:

The fact that it's also a product with investment behind it is irrelevant to me because I'm not involved in making it or investing in it. Would I feel sorry for people losing their jobs if KSP2 turned out to be a flop? Yes I would,  but no more so than I'd feel sorry for anyone losing their jobs under any other circumstances. Would I feel sorry for the investors? Unsure without more information, but I will say that 'the value of your investments can go down as well as up' is a well-worn (but seemingly oft-forgotten) mantra.

Anyway, none of this is relevant to the post which MarcAbaddon (and then I) was replying to:

"Big suprise, but lets give them 1 more chance to fix stuff with the coming patch

if they dont at least make the game playable, people will unleash a dung storm the likes of which has never been seen on the face of this planet, and we can consider ksp2 dead for good."

Which, with respect, sounds like typical exaggeration from  a disappointed game fan.

Yes its a game - and a game is a product. When you pay money for a product - do you have no expectations?

Also its their own fault that people react the way they do - they sold a game as EA - which means people pay for the product they receive now with no guarantee for future updates etc. so they will rate that - and they sold the product as it is for the price of an AAA game - what did they expect would happen?

If i go to a restaurant and order a 8 Dollar meal i obviously expect something different than in a restaurant wher ei roder a 80 Dollar meal. And yes if the product isnt of the quality it should be according to the price i wont just accept it and move on.

Edited by Moons

6 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

While our disgruntlement at the current buggy state of the game is justified, it is still too early to criticize it so harshly- it is highly unfinished. 

We've had a rocky start but it will (hopefully) get better.

honestly if they just gave us the latest dev build, instead of trying to pull off some weird roadmap shenanigans, we probably wouldnt have most of these bugs :retrograde::joy::retrograde:

Edited by Fullmetal Analyst

7 hours ago, Lisias said:

Spending that amount of money wouldn't be a problem if the game was any good.

36 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

honestly if they just gave us the latest dev build, instead of trying to pull off some weird roadmap shenanigans, we probably wouldnt have most of these bugs :retrograde::joy::retrograde:

I suspect that's a tricky one. Assuming there is such a mythical "dev buid," yes it might have more features, even address a couple(and I mean that in the "a few" sense, not as "two" as some will think) bugs, but also introduce a whole slew of new ones; and they likely even have a list of those. "If you do X, Y happens — don't do X." For devs, that's just fine. They know it's early access a dev build, and if they play with it take that list, and actions to avoid, into account. However, if such a build were to be released into the wild, the reaction on "here's a list of things you probably DON'T want to do" would be sensationally toxic. So don't count on it to happen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.