Lazy Orbit v0.4.0 - Set a vessel's orbit via a simple menu

Halban

LxPvw7q.png

What does this mod do?

Lazy Orbit is a simple mod that allows you to set a vessel's orbit, land it on a surface, or teleport it to another vessel via a simple GUI. Open the GUI by clicking the button in the app bar (or press ALT+H), select a body and an altitude, and press Set Orbit. Great for testing and modding, don't use it for anything nefarious!

Dependencies

- Space Warp + BepInEx via SpaceDock: https://spacedock.info/mod/3277/Space%20Warp%20+%20BepInEx

Installation

1. Open the game folder by right-clicking on the game in your Steam library, selecting "Manage," and then clicking "Browse local files."

2. Install Space Warp + BepInEx: https://spacedock.info/mod/3277/Space%20Warp%20+%20BepInEx

3. Download Lazy Orbit, open the zip file, and drag the included BepInEx folder into the game folder.

Download

SpaceDock: https://spacedock.info/mod/3258/Lazy Orbit
Github: https://github.com/Halbann/LazyOrbit/releases

Contributors

- Halban (aka Hatbat)
XYZ3211

Source

The complete source for Lazy Orbit is available on Github:
https://github.com/Halbann/LazyOrbit

License

Lazy Orbit is distributed under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license. Read about the license here before redistributing :
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

Edited by Halban

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, stephensmat said:

I admit, I have no idea how to install a Mod for KSP2, because I haven't done so before now; but I can't seem to figure it out either.

Version conflict, or am I being particularly stupid?

Installing mods is very easy once you figure it out. As theOP said, you’re going to need to find the folder where the game is installed, The instructions in the first post should help you.

Once you’ve located this folder then you need to install both BepInEx and SpaceWarp. You can get both in one install these days, so this can be done in a single step. Go to SpaceDock and look for the BepInEx with SpaceWarp. The links in the OP for these are a bit dated but should work, nevertheless I recommend you go get the most recent which is the combo.

Once you’ve installed the BepInEx/SpaceWarp combo *there are instructions onSpaceDock) thenyou’ll want to launch the game once with just this, then close it. This will make sure BepInEx can set up its folder structure.

You only have to do the above steps once, and from then on it will be super easy!

Download any mod - this one is a great place to start.

Open the zip file - you’ll either find a BepInEx folder or you’ll find a folder with the name of the mod

If you find a BepInEx folder, drag it to the KSP2 game folder where your exe is. This will add the mod to the game.

If you find a folder with the name of the mod you’re installing then you need to drag that to your BepInEx\plugins folder inside your game folder.

That’s it! It’s pretty much just drag it in and go. Launch the game and enjoy!

1 hour ago, schlosrat said:

If you find a folder with the name of the mod you’re installing then you need to drag that to your BepInEx\plugins folder inside your game folder.

That’s it! It’s pretty much just drag it in and go. Launch the game and enjoy!

Ah! There's the mixup! I was dragging the mod folders into the wrong place. Working now! Thank you!

I put the LazyOrbit file in KSP2/BepInEx/Plugins, but it doesn't work. The other two files, "KontrolStystem2" and "ReddervousCheat" show up in the APP Bar but not LazyOrbit. Also doing a Atl+H doesn't bring it up either.

I've just verified that Lazy Orbit works with KSP2 0.1.1.0 and Space Warp 1.1.1. If you're having any issues then I recommend removing BepInEx, SpaceWarp and Lazy Orbit, and to go back to the first step of the installation instructions.

On 3/8/2023 at 2:47 PM, Moon Goddess said:

I used your wonderful mod cuz I wanted to see those pretty clouds on Jool up close... Nope.   my RTX 3060 won't even redender them at 1080p,   damn.

Laptop 3070 (roughly equivalent to a desktop 2080) does it fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Followed the instructions, still not working. Did re-install of bepinex + spacewarp as well. Micro Engineer is working so I know that mods themselves are working and that I have the folders where they shoud be.

Is it a Patch 2 issue? Log file doesn't show the mod loading:

[LOG 13:28:01.244] Version Info: 0.1.2.0.22258
[LOG 13:28:01.244] Command Line Args:D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2\KSP2_x64.exe -single-instance
[LOG 13:28:02.077] [UI] Primary EventSystem Selected: 'GameManager'(instance id: 207546)
[LOG 13:28:02.145] [UI] Localization sources updating
[LOG 13:28:02.360] [UI] Localization sources updating
[LOG 13:28:02.368] [System] Pre-initialization for plugin Space Warp completed in 0.0008s.
[LOG 13:28:02.375] [System] Pre-initialization for plugin Flight Plan completed in 0.0000s.
[LOG 13:28:02.470] [System] Pre-initialization for plugin MicroEngineer completed in 0.0000s.

[

Edited by Kerbart

It's still working on Patch 2 for me. I'm not sure what to suggest, sorry about this. Perhaps something in Space Warp has changed that I'm not aware of. When I have some more time for modding I'll investigate it. If you could upload your full log in the meantime that would be great.

Edited by Halban

I am using this mod to do orbit rendezvous so I can practice docking without the niceties I had in KSP1 with MechJeb.

I have found that when I do that, and attempt to approach the craft I want to dock to, it will suddenly jump away from my craft, sometimes buy a large amount. This makes it very difficult to do what I am attempting to do. Sometimes I can get there, other times I can't. It is kind of annoying to be honest.

1 hour ago, EvelynThe Dragon said:

I have found that when I do that, and attempt to approach the craft I want to dock to, it will suddenly jump away from my craft,

Have you seen this happen in a non-modded (no lazy orbit) KSP2 scenario? I've done rendezvous and docking in both a bland install of KSP2 and with a modded KSP2. I agree it is more difficult than KSP1, seems like I can never get relative speed to exactly 0.0, but I've never seen my target 'jump' away. We I switch between controlling the main craft to the target craft to adjust alignment, and then go back to controlling the main craft, its not where I left it, both position and attitude. Are you seeing similar?

13 minutes ago, LeroyJenkins said:

Have you seen this happen in a non-modded (no lazy orbit) KSP2 scenario? I've done rendezvous and docking in both a bland install of KSP2 and with a modded KSP2. I agree it is more difficult than KSP1, seems like I can never get relative speed to exactly 0.0, but I've never seen my target 'jump' away. We I switch between controlling the main craft to the target craft to adjust alignment, and then go back to controlling the main craft, its not where I left it, both position and attitude. Are you seeing similar?

I have not done it by launching and doing an orbital rendezvous. I was really looking to just practice docking and build a big station for the fun of it. So, no I have not done it without the mod.

Scroll up, padawan! The mod’s author answered this question on Tuesday, just 5 posts up.

It works for him in 0.1.2. I’ve got a fork of it with minor changes and that works too. Are you having issues with it in 0.1.2?

Edited by schlosrat

• 2 weeks later...

How is landing supposed to work?  I used the orbit positioner to set an orbit around Mun which worked fine.  I then tried to land on Mun using the default parameters in the dialog box and promptly crashed.  What altitude would you suggest I use for a landing?  Thanks!  PS:  Nice mod, gives me mechjeb vibes!

34 minutes ago, BobStewart said:

How is landing supposed to work?  I used the orbit positioner to set an orbit around Mun which worked fine.  I then tried to land on Mun using the default parameters in the dialog box and promptly crashed.  What altitude would you suggest I use for a landing?  Thanks!  PS:  Nice mod, gives me mechjeb vibes!

Thanks, the mod is just an interface for the game's built-in cheat functions so I can't really tell you why it's crashing. Perhaps you could try a higher alitude first, allow it to finish loading, and then land at <5m. The altitude should be height above terrain, I can't quite remember, I haven't played in a while.

12 minutes ago, Halban said:

Thanks, the mod is just an interface for the game's built-in cheat functions so I can't really tell you why it's crashing. Perhaps you could try a higher alitude first, allow it to finish loading, and then land at <5m. The altitude should be height above terrain, I can't quite remember, I haven't played in a while.

Is the height to be specified as absolute altitude or relative to current ground,  ASL or MSL?  Thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.