Kerbal Space Program 2 (Version 1.0 and 0.3.0) Hype Train!

AtomicTech

For KSP2, I hope for the best, but I fear for the worse.  I'm reminded of this song.

They give him his orders at Monroe, Virginia
Saying Steve, you are way behind time
This is not Thirty-Eight, this is old Ninety-Seven
You must put her into Spencer on time

He looked 'round and said to that old greasy fireman
Just shovel in a little more coal
And when we cross that White Oak Mountain
You can watch old Ninety-Seven roll

It’s a mighty rough road from Lynchburg to Danville
In a line on a three mile grade
It was on that grade that he lost his air brakes
You should have seen what a jump he made

He was going down grade making ninety miles an hour
And his whistle broke into a scream
He was found in the wreck with his hand on the throttle
And scalded to death by the steam

The Wreck of the Old Ninety-Seven

16 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

Realistically?  I wouldn't bet on less than 2 years.  Optimistically?  I wouldn't bet on less than 2 years ;)

That's what I'm thinking, although I reason that we'll have a much better game in a year :)

13 hours ago, Sky Kerman said:

I think I booked first class? Can someone check that? But in reality, can’t wait to get on the new hype for 1.0!:D

At the Atomic Technologies Incorporated Locomotive Division, everyone rides first class!

15 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I think they had worse things to worry about than mixed feedback on KSP.

I'm grateful that I only considered getting the original on my switch :joy:

15 hours ago, TLTay said:

The timing is too much to be coincidental. They knew the rest of the company's financial situation before KSP2 release. Only things that changed were sales numbers for KSP2, reviews, and goodwill impairment.

This cannot be a good sign. Sorry about your hype train getting derailed before being out of visual range of the station.

Not good.

Pal, we're keepin' the hype train goin'! 

It's quite a tunnel that we're going through right now but I reckon that we'll start seeing some light at the end of the tunnel in the not-so-distant future :)

Im thoroughly hyped for 1.0, and probably also for something like 0.3 and 0.4 :)

I don't understand why people are unhappy about the current state of the Early Access version either - it's just the first available version. There are many things i really like in it, and the current state shows exactly how far in the development process the game is. No more, no less.

A game like this has almost no discrete parts that can be released separately, so either the game works or it doesn't (broadly speaking).

I will keep enjoying testing the next versions of KSP, but I probably won't play super long sessions until the game functions better. And that's perfectly fine with me. At some point I will play this game a lot :)

It's great that the developers are able to gather lots of data about a systems-driven game like this to improve it going forward.

I agree, I'm still playing it and still enjoying it. The graphics and sound are truly amazing!

I'll say this, too. The modders are one part of what's keeping me playing right now. It's astonishing what that community has done to help mitigate some of the bugs and make the game more playable - and more fun to play. I respect that many big name modders are holding off for now, and with good reason, but quite frankly there are some great modds out there that are really useful in sandbox mode.

Suppose I want to mess around with landers for places that are a bit harder to get to? There's the Stage Info mod to help me see right away if I've got the TWR I'll need for Tylo, or Val, or Bop, or wherever. And if I want to just hop to an orbit around my target body with my new lander design, I can use the Lazy Orbit mod to get me there in a flash. This is a great thing about sandbox mode. I'm not really cheating the game because it's not science mode or career mode (or adventure mode - I think that's what will replace career?). I can perfect my lander, then once I've got that I can build the transfer stage and practice my manual piloting skills with that. Once I've got a transfer stange and a lander sorted, I'll build the LV that puts it all into orbit. Imagine how tedious it would be to fly all the way out to Tylo and then find out your lander design doesn't work the way you thought it would?

So, from my perspective, there's still a lot of fun to be had in EA. Will 0.2, 0.3, ... 1.0 be better? Of course! Will I jump right into Science mode first chance I get? You bet! Same goes for any other new capabilities they roll out. And without MechJeb as a crutch, every single thing I do I pretty much have to do by hand, so my rusty piloting skills are getting a lot less rusty.

Another thing, and I think this has been covered elsewhere, but you know all these bugs we have to sort out workarounds to like landing legs leaking fuel? How Kerbal is that! In nearly every KSP2 teaser video we've ever seen things do not go as planned for our poor kerbonauts. If you just look at this as a puzzle to be solved then you'll have more fun. It's easily playable enough that you can basically do a lot of stuff, and some things arguably actually work better now (ladders anyone?). Of course it will only be more fun as they squash the bugs and bring in more features, but there's fun to be had even now.

On 3/8/2023 at 11:13 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I guess some unmitigated optimism is called for at this point.

Kudos!

The Alarmist Pit is a dark and miserable hole filled with gloomy people, the view is terrible, and it just sits there going nowhere, making deafening sad whining noises.  Let’s nip down to the saloon car and have a martini and enjoy the scenery.

Actually, now that we have a Hype Train going, an Alarmist Pit thread would be a great idea.  Somebody should start one.  The doomers could all hang out there and enjoy each other’s company!

Edited by Wheehaw Kerman

9 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

The Alarmist Pit is a dark and miserable hole filled with gloomy people, the view is terrible, and it just sits there going nowhere, making deafening sad whining noises.  Let’s nip down to the saloon car and have a martini and enjoy the scenery.

Actually, now that we have a Hype Train going, an Alarmist Pit thread would be a great idea.  Somebody should start one.  The doomers could all hang out there and enjoy each other’s company!

I'm with you.  All the nay-sayers are bumming me out.   I've had a great time playing the game and plan to continue playing until I've seen everything it has and will offer.

Oh... and I'll take my martini with vodka and dirty. TYVM!

Edited by Malathion
I had more to say

3 hours ago, Malathion said:

All the nay-sayers are bumming me out.

Every life is a certain percent "worry" - we need to worry and be upset about things for emotional balance.  If we have nothing real to worry about (food, safety, shelter, health), we find stuff to worry about (social status, what to wear, the neighbor's yard, etc.).

If people come in here feeling legitimately upset about Kerbal, we should be happy for them, as it means things are probably pretty darn OK in their lives outside the game.  I just try to be happy for them and ignore the moaning ;)

18 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

Count me in!  I'll take it extra dry with a twist and - of course - shaken ;)

Shaken HARD, so that the drink is almost milky white as it’s poured out of the shaker… mmmmm.

13 hours ago, Malathion said:

I'm with you.  All the nay-sayers are bumming me out.   I've had a great time playing the game and plan to continue playing until I've seen everything it has and will offer.

Oh... and I'll take my martini with vodka and dirty. TYVM!

I lean towards gin, but I do like them dirty.  

Trying to tie this back to KSP, I wonder how Jeb would like his martinis?  And how he’d shake them?

Steam, the hype train, the users sending system logs, the maintainer collecting them, the dead end (cancelled KSP-1), the main way (KSP-2), the KSP-2 trailer-colony-style bridge, finally - the review bombing.

Spoiler

But how did they know?...

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Steam, the hype train, the users sending system logs, the maintainer collecting them, the dead end (cancelled KSP-1), the main way (KSP-2), the KSP-2 trailer-colony-style bridge, finally - the review bombing.

Hide contents

But how did they know?...

Did you cut the part where a phoenix comes out of the ashes of the derailed KSP1 train?

I think i found the footage of the transformed KSP1 train:

Edited by Moons

21 minutes ago, Moons said:

Did you cut the part where a phoenix comes out of the ashes of the derailed KSP1 train?

It's a link from youtube, I haven't watched the movie.

But probably they have misspelled the name. It's not Buster but Booster Kerman.

Also look, how perfectly the cylindric hat would fit a cylindric Kerbal head.

Edited by kerbiloid

My hype is dead, I'll believe it when I see it. This game was originally supposed to be out before I was done with middle school, now I'll be well into college by the time It's out (assuming at least 2 years for 1.0 and console release). Plus, who's even to say they'll give us what they've promised? After all, 1.11 AND 1.12 were supposed to come out on console before the end of 2022, but even though its march of 2023 we still havent gotten either update or even any communication about what's going on. Who's to say that T2 and Intercept won't just take our money and ghost us?