Kerbal Space Program 2 (Version 1.0 and 0.3.0) Hype Train!

AtomicTech

On 3/7/2023 at 11:58 AM, The Aziz said:

My hype train fell through the ground, lost all coal, and exploded upon attaching the wagons.

And the station appears to be sideways.

You found coal? I can’t even do ISRU Fuel-depots around Minmus yet and this guy found coal!

HYPE! Patch next week! FPS for everyone! Glad they got this one out the door in 4 weeks. Setting Patch 3 timer to 4 weeks!

Real-world space news updates:  Starship launch was speculated for 4/10, but now insiders say 4/17! Dawn Aerospace starts rocket-powered test flights of TSTO spaceplane drone. NOAA is budgeting for the follow-on (SW-Next-L1) of my program (SWFO-L1) before we've even delivered :0.0:, but otherwise, quiet on most fronts. All our favorite rocket and spacecraft builders are working as hard as the KSP2 dev team!

2 hours ago, zeekzeek22 said:

HYPE! Patch next week! FPS for everyone! Glad they got this one out the door in 4 weeks. Setting Patch 3 timer to 4 weeks!

Real-world space news updates:  Starship launch was speculated for 4/10, but now insiders say 4/17! Dawn Aerospace starts rocket-powered test flights of TSTO spaceplane drone. NOAA is budgeting for the follow-on (SW-Next-L1) of my program (SWFO-L1) before we've even delivered :0.0:, but otherwise, quiet on most fronts. All our favorite rocket and spacecraft builders are working as hard as the KSP2 dev team!

Very very cool!

Can you tell us more about your project?

KSP2 Hype Train 

Im DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE and i approve of this thread

On 4/7/2023 at 3:31 PM, zeekzeek22 said:

Also Virgin Orbit declared bankruptcy. "W" for Space X fans

On 4/7/2023 at 6:22 PM, AtomicTech said:

Can you tell us more about your project?

I work on CCOR, you can google "NOAA CCOR", "CCOR-2", "SWFO-L1".

In short: In-space white-light coronagraphs (think of any really cool eclipsed picture of just the corona/solar prominences) that take what historically is a 6-8 foot long telescope and squeeze it into 2 feet.
Why it's cool: These are the first "operational" coronagraphs...it marks a shift from "we look at the sun for brief periods for science" to "we want a 24/7, 3D model of all the solar wind, and will keep replacing them for continuous coverage, like the GOES weather constellation".

From NOAA's budget request: "Coronagraph imagery from the L5 observation point was identified by the NSOSA independent Space Platform Requirements Working Group as the single most impactful new observation to improve NOAA’s space weather mission." (in reference to CCOR-3, which is still a ways out).

It's a good time, though the cleanliness requirements for sensitive space telescope optics is....well it is what it is :D

3 hours ago, zeekzeek22 said:

I work on CCOR, you can google "NOAA CCOR", "CCOR-2", "SWFO-L1".

In short: In-space white-light coronagraphs (think of any really cool eclipsed picture of just the corona/solar prominences) that take what historically is a 6-8 foot long telescope and squeeze it into 2 feet.
Why it's cool: These are the first "operational" coronagraphs...it marks a shift from "we look at the sun for brief periods for science" to "we want a 24/7, 3D model of all the solar wind, and will keep replacing them for continuous coverage, like the GOES weather constellation".

From NOAA's budget request: "Coronagraph imagery from the L5 observation point was identified by the NSOSA independent Space Platform Requirements Working Group as the single most impactful new observation to improve NOAA’s space weather mission." (in reference to CCOR-3, which is still a ways out).

It's a good time, though the cleanliness requirements for sensitive space telescope optics is....well it is what it is :D

Very cool! It's always nice to meet people on the forums; you never know the kinds of people you'll meet here!

As an Amateur Radio Operator, I am very excited for the extra solar weather data! 

Wait some how its worst when you have more massive ships? weird because its smoother then before with smaller ships.

I mean to be fair, it's impossible to be expecting good fps when your ship is 700+ parts:joy:

Edited by Little 908

HYPE!!!

How are people liking the new update? Getting those FPS gains?

Real-World Space Updates: Relativity is all-in on a bigger rocket...but with a very long horizon. Starship scrubbed this morning...let's all appreciate not having to engineer valves in KSP2. JUICE launched on it's 1-second-window crazy trajectory...and if you think your double gravity assist to Jool was impressive, think again. OrbitFab raised more money for depotsdepotsdepots! And around the world, thousands of space engineers are starting their week building more cool stuff to inspire us!

On 4/13/2023 at 10:53 AM, Starhawk said:

Some content has been removed for being off topic and inappropriate for our forum.

Folks you all agreed to the forum guidelines when you signed up.  Please keep your posts within those guidelines.

Thank you for your understanding.

Glad I missed that!

5 hours ago, zeekzeek22 said:

HYPE!!!

How are people liking the new update? Getting those FPS gains?

Real-World Space Updates: Relativity is all-in on a bigger rocket...but with a very long horizon. Starship scrubbed this morning...let's all appreciate not having to engineer valves in KSP2. JUICE launched on it's 1-second-window crazy trajectory...and if you think your double gravity assist to Jool was impressive, think again. OrbitFab raised more money for depotsdepotsdepots! And around the world, thousands of space engineers are starting their week building more cool stuff to inspire us!

I booted it up this past weekend, fooled around in the VAB, and then quit 'cause I got really annoyed with the new editor tools and lack of vehicle info :\

On 4/21/2023 at 11:00 AM, AtomicTech said:

Everyone, how's the hype feeling?

I've got a bit more today after reading the Discord AMAs :)

Patch 2 was a buzz kill. 

Mixed feelings about the AMA and Nate's most recent.  Letting me believe what I want to hear rather than actual info.  Still, it's entirely possible from the AMA to believe that June might be Science. 

Supposed to be a drop before that which gives us more parts.  We know there is another Sandbox patch anyway - so do I read from this that the next Sandbox patch gives parts?  Or do we get a May SB patch (fixing stuff that should have been fixed prior to Feb 23) - and then another SB patch with stuff in June - and still have to wait for Science? 

Because, frankly, if Science isn't out in June? 

SMH 

In either the EA event interview of Scott Manley or Matt Lowne Nate spoke about 2 QOL updates before the Science milestone. We haven't seen a real QOL update yet, so it could be that these two are coming, but who knows. 

6 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Was it for the reasons you stated or for some other reason?

Pure opinioneering: 

• Beneficiaries of Patch 2 are the 'laptop' crowd; folks who really wanted to play KSP2 but couldn't because of optimization or possession of low-spec machines
    • They got to join the bug hunt
  • Major functional (baseline aspects of the game) remain unfunctional or present odd behavior
    • Orbits should be predictable, they're not (sub 25 km orbits, post-separation = crash course, etc)
    • Updated Burn timer now acts weird (sub elements not in time with each other)
    • Docking / undocking / separation issues persist or added
  • Patch 2 introduced 'something weird and unexpected' into the Maneuver Node functionality (probably good they did it early) 
    • It appears to be part of the 'make the game more predictable for new players' aspect
    • It annoyed players who wanted to be able to project MNs even without adequate fuel for planning future missions
    • It might turn into a 'toggleable' feature: one setting that plays only with the craft you have (including fuel) - another for planning
    • This whole episode highlighted that there are decisions still being made about the direction of the game and function / purpose / priority for key elements
  • Numerous other bugs / QOL issues that are of the 'Come on, now - why is this doing that' variety.
    • Persistent VAB icons (procedural part adjustment icon) 
    • Notification spam
    • ETC

Basically - they gave us a pay to Alpha experience back in Feb, moved it to a Pay to Beta experience in the first patch... and then with the second patch did not really move the needle that much.  In fact - in some cases, while the needle moved a bit forward, it also squiggled sideways.  People who were hopelessly optimistic about the game are giving up in frustration; not a good sign.

I'm of the opinion that they need to have parallel production going; moving us down the Roadmap while simultaneously working on the baseline features that absolutely MUST WORK - because if they don't add content/ increase the scope of the game they won't have enough people playing to produce the telemetry necessary to find and fix the bugs.

35 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

People who were hopelessly optimistic about the game are giving up in frustration; not a good sign.

Even though the AMAs have me optimistic for the future, that's where I am right now; I'll gladly go spend another 600 hours in KSP while I'm waiting for the 1.0 release :)

HYPE!

Hope folks are still having fun, exploring! Also, we're almost 3 weeks out from Patch 2...which means 2 weeks out from Patch 3!

Belated real-world space update:
RIP iSpace Hakuto lander. That's 1/4 on recent moon landers. StarShip went full Kerbal, and we all scratched our heads...a lot. All the more reason to not put destructible environments in KSP2! I'm not even done parsing out all the good stuff out of Space Symposium. China's making their own Artemis Accords, and Long March 9 is now officially off-brand-StarShip. ISS got extended...again...again...again... RocketLab is going to refly an engine...so a real world version of "recovering" your vehicle resources after a splashdown!

ObsidianAnt put some more fuel into my long-term hype train :)

(Albeit with accepting some harsh realities that we hope will only be a thing of the past)

Edited by AtomicTech

@AtomicTech

The main point he makes in that video is that he takes issue with a pattern in official communications. A vagueness, tiptoeing around "the elephant in the room." That being the game's performance and stability issues at release and those persisting into the current patch. And in his words, he would prefer the "PR and marketspeak being dropped" when addressing them. He also adresses Private Division specifically, rather than just the development team, in his plea for clarity in communications about what's going on.

Given how much the state of the game (especially in response to the content of development updates) has been argued about on the forums and on the Discord, some of that had to be prompted by this pattern. I'd prefer a bit more openness on this too.