[1.6.1] Tiny Parts and Other Useless Junk

Nuke

im not to happy with the way i implemented tankage especially with the tiny girder kit. im thinking about adding fs fuel switch to all my tankage parts. since i already use firespitter core for my turbine spinners i can just support it throught some mod man scripts. also going to rethink fuel crossfeed on some of the girders, maybe providing versions with internal fuel hoses. i kind of want firespitter to be optional so things should still work more or less as they do now should it be absent.

Edited by Nuke

• 5 months later...

@Nuke thank you for this mod. I really like the tinyGirders. In fact liked them so much I converted all the .tga's (~80) into .dds.

Would you mind if I published them (and the rest) to my Github? If you allow, will probably also update the part.cfg's - at least for some of the parts.

part of what I want to do is B9 for fuel switching in the tinyGirders (as optional).

ps: (TGA to DDS, reduced sample to 512x512 (max) reduced total size 211mb down to 35mb) (**no noticeable quality reduction**)

Edited by zer0Kerbal

go ahead. the interesting thing is all i did was airbrush the template, and not very well i might add (you can still see the green lines in on some of them). it ended up looking ok and i really like the color scheme and it fits well with the ksp look. i think the only reason i didnt use dds was that it wasnt supported yet when i started the mod. i remember i was pushing hard for dds support back in the early days of ksp and i guess it payed off. i might do that next time i work on the mod. there is still a lot of stuff thats not working right. it would be easier if i could build from uncompressed tga sources and have the unity editor convert the textures for me. 

Edited by Nuke

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

go ahead. the interesting thing is all i did was airbrush the template, and not very well i might add (you can still see the green lines in on some of them). it ended up looking ok and i really like the color scheme and it fits well with the ksp look. i think the only reason i didnt use dds was that it wasnt supported yet when i started the mod. i remember i was pushing hard for dds support back in the early days of ksp and i guess it payed off. i might do that next time i work on the mod. there is still a lot of stuff thats not working right. it would be easier if i could build from uncompressed tga sources and have the unity editor convert the textures for me. 

Thank you @Nuke. Would like that. Glad you pushed. Until you return to working on it:

source - release

Spacedock (when done uploading) - also on CKAN as Nuke Refueled.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

anybody have pics of those conformal tanks from i believe they were from mechanical mouse. 

the small medium ones were like a pill capsule. and the big ones were these sleek rounded stretched trapezoids that just surface attached to existing tanks. 

looks like nuke has a kinda similiar thing going. 

43 minutes ago, COL.R.Neville said:

anybody have pics of those conformal tanks from i believe they were from mechanical mouse. 

the small medium ones were like a pill capsule. and the big ones were these sleek rounded stretched trapezoids that just surface attached to existing tanks. 

looks like nuke has a kinda similiar thing going. 

i remember those. there are a lot of classic mod parts that have kind of been lost or havent been forward ported yet.

this is why my license is intentionally very loose (i cant remember if it was just public domain, beerware, unlicense, idk my readme file is a mess), the bare minimum for license requirements for ksp mods. i dont like overthinking giving stuff away for free. 

4 minutes ago, Nuke said:

i remember those. there are a lot of classic mod parts that have kind of been lost or havent been forward ported yet.

this is why my license is intentionally very loose (i cant remember if it was just public domain, beerware, unlicense, idk my readme file is a mess), the bare minimum for license requirements for ksp mods. i dont like overthinking giving stuff away for free. 

public domain, which is appreciated.

If you have others you would like to see this same done to - just kindly tell me. Parts only.

If I find time - will try to take some pics and post them of the parts.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

32 minutes ago, Nightside said:

I haven’t seen this mod before, which surprised me after seeing the date. Could this be the longest running mod for KSP?

i wouldn't go that far, that would require actually maintaining it. at most i fix things as they break and a lot of stuff is still broken.

Edited by Nuke

i started putting todo lists and bug fixes in the readme. not sure if its on the version on the ckan release (i think future releases will be through spacedock with ckan support). but heres what i put in there so far:

Spoiler

todo:
            particles, fix them
            the jet engine is way too op. dispite the fact that max thrust is only set to 75kn. curve problem.
            vtol jet engines busted. likely an intake problem
            particle effects also broke on both the vtol rocket and jet engines. go figure.
            solar wings are a huge derp, fixxor them.
            make some excrementsty textures for the ducted fan and other parts that i forgot to texture
            some of the thrusters on the rcs nosecone dont have any sounds
            fix the girder attach points again

parts i still want:
            finish the 10 meter centrifuge module
            monoprop apu (will convert monoprop to electric charge, if theres atmosphere, it will also make bleed pressure)
            open cockpit seat
            half meter storage container
            half meter landing gear
            mini ducted fan (about a quarter the size of ha half meter but with the intake attached, would also surface attach)
            fuel hoses for the mini girders, possible tanks for the lattice. maybe also visible alternate tank configs.
            turn the 30 m expanding round thing into a solar panel/radiator
            add helostats to solar wing and make surface transparent
            textures on everything that needs textures

also thinking about some more tank sized parts that contain extendable radiators/solar panels. i might throw in some other parts for both girder kits and adapters for some of the newer tank sizes. of course this is a would like to do. i dont have much time to mod, much of the modeling i do these days is cad for my 3d printer. maybe theres something there i can make parts out of. there's also a lot of experimental stuff in the files that doesn't have a cfg (either i lost them or removed them for release).

also if anyone wants my unity folder and source models let me know. i can stick them on my google drive.

Edited by Nuke

47 minutes ago, Nuke said:

i started putting todo lists and bug fixes in the readme. not sure if its on the version on the ckan release (i think future releases will be through spacedock with ckan support). but heres what i put in there so far:

Hide contents

todo:
            particles, fix them
            the jet engine is way too op. dispite the fact that max thrust is only set to 75kn. curve problem.
            vtol jet engines busted. likely an intake problem
            particle effects also broke on both the vtol rocket and jet engines. go figure.
            solar wings are a huge derp, fixxor them.
            make some excrementsty textures for the ducted fan and other parts that i forgot to texture
            some of the thrusters on the rcs nosecone dont have any sounds
            fix the girder attach points again

parts i still want:
            finish the 10 meter centrifuge module
            monoprop apu (will convert monoprop to electric charge, if theres atmosphere, it will also make bleed pressure)
            open cockpit seat
            half meter storage container
            half meter landing gear
            mini ducted fan (about a quarter the size of ha half meter but with the intake attached, would also surface attach)
            fuel hoses for the mini girders, possible tanks for the lattice. maybe also visible alternate tank configs.
            turn the 30 m expanding round thing into a solar panel/radiator
            add helostats to solar wing and make surface transparent
            textures on everything that needs textures 

also thinking about some more tank sized parts that contain extendable radiators/solar panels. i might throw in some other parts for both girder kits and adapters for some of the newer tank sizes. of course this is a would like to do. i dont have much time to mod, much of the modeling i do these days is cad for my 3d printer. maybe theres something there i can make parts out of. there's also a lot of experimental stuff in the files that doesn't have a cfg (either i lost them or removed them for release).

also if anyone wants my unity folder and source models let me know. i can stick them on my google drive.

thank you. If you want I can add these to my github.

I can work on part.cfg's - that is old hat for me.

modeling, well, lets say its been since 5 1/4 floppies since I did that.

adding the todo list to github.

its uploading now. i managed to compress everything down to 750 megs. everything is in there. model and texture sources, old releases, even my part tools directory and old backups of same (the 1.4 should have my working particle effects in it, i just dont know what version of unity that needs). 

models are either in max or dae format. i currently use the 2014 version of 3dsmax, but some might be in max9 format. the textures are psd or tga. i think i saved in compatibility mode and i was able to load them with gimp. 

nukemod sources

i also uploaded the current dev version im using. 

current dev version

• 5 weeks later...

Been busy on another item - but finally found some time to start some updates:

New release (and new version numbering) available on GitHub.

Once Spacedock is feeling better, will updated there and that will spread to CKAN.

Now supports B9 for fuel switching; will recognize if Near Future Construction is installed and expand choices.

changelog:

Spoiler

* v.1.7.3.0.1
   + Add B9 tank switch (with NearFutureConstruction Support) to :
      + tinyGirderMediumTank
      + tinyGirderSmallTank
      + tinyGirderLargeHubTank
      + smallDeltaWing
      + halfMeterFuelTankLong
      + halfMeterFuelTankShort
      + halfMeterXenonTank
      + oneMeterXenonTank
      + halfMeterRcsTank
   + BUG: TweakScale doesn't like halfmeterductedfan
   + Updated TweakScale patch to be more specific

On 7/3/2019 at 5:13 AM, Nuke said:

its uploading now. i managed to compress everything down to 750 megs. everything is in there. model and texture sources, old releases, even my part tools directory and old backups of same (the 1.4 should have my working particle effects in it, i just dont know what version of unity that needs). 

models are either in max or dae format. i currently use the 2014 version of 3dsmax, but some might be in max9 format. the textures are psd or tga. i think i saved in compatibility mode and i was able to load them with gimp. 

nukemod sources

i also uploaded the current dev version im using. 

current dev version

Unity 1.3.1f I believe is the current version. Working particle effects would be glorious!

.psd isn't an issue, if any textures have changes will update.

next release will reflect the r7 changes.

Hopefully then the GitHub repo will reflect all current changes. :)

Edited by zer0Kerbal

i think the reason for it not liking the ducted fan is that it wants to see firespitter to manage the rotor animation. unfortunately firespitter core is a bit out of date. a lot of the textures in the dev version (which i havent changed since i uploaded all of the things) im using seem to be broke or maybe it simply doesnt get along with some of the mods im running alongside.

i still kind of want to finish that massive 11-meter centrifuge model. i feel there is a lack of parts for very large spaceship hulls. id love to make it so you can walk around inside it sort of a live iva, but that's probably going to require code. but my questionable work ethic may be holding me back.

Edited by Nuke

• 4 weeks later...

I have continued to (slowly) work on these parts.

Some of them I am probably going to depreciate (meaning hide in editor but not remove, and move to a depreciated folder)

Some parts I am thinking of adding additional sizes to like the tiny girders.

The engines are my next pass. At least getting their FX's working again. I have been going through the last dev build (7) and comparing to what I have - slow going.

Correcting the B9 patch to use :NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]

Will be moving into a new thread next release, which am planning for the next several weeks, once I have finished On Demand Fuel Cells and the Hot Beverages Part mod(which has more glorious fuel cells).

Edited by zer0Kerbal

i think i had some working particle emmiters in one of my part tools backups. i think it was the 1.4 version but im not 100% sure. as i understand it particles were broke in the last 2 part tools releases. any changes to them in newer versions is simply me desperately trying to fix them and failing. 

Edited by Nuke

tiny and girders... two words you don't hear in a phrase much. This video made me laugh, and laugh, and laugh some more. :)

the thrusters he liked so much - they stack to make a 5 way.

I personally would describe the style as spacepunk.

Expect a update in the next week or so.

@Nuke

Edited by zer0Kerbal

cool video. though i had to cringe at some of my experimental and cheaty things and stuff. like that flex joint was an experiment to try and do robotics parts with stock part modules. the q thruster was a blatant cheat mode part derived from the fixed engine. i did another alternate configuration on that fixed engine which is pretty much a torch drive that is impossible to keep cold enough to not explode. 

also wow some of those parts have in game numbers which are rather huge compared to the values i actually entered into the part files. needless to say the engine modules changed and i didnt. i always had problems with the jet engines being op. first time i tested it it threw my small plane into orbit, i would have survived too if the mun didnt throw me out of the kerbin system. i nerfed it, but somewhere an update gave it a defacto buff. the ducted fan for example is an order of magnitude more powerful than it should be.

as for the styling, i was actually going with a color scheme i used on my old freespace mod. a lot of shiny things and earth colors. sort of stole it from the rebels in rotj and then chromed it up because METAL!  initially i was just going to port them over but decided it would be too much trouble to cut them up into parts and they wouldn't fit with any of the stock parts because of all the unusual shapes (the chimera is there and a cockpit from one of the others but i lost the cfg for it somehow, it may have just been so broke that i deleted it). but i did use the mass of acquired photoshop presets in the textures. babylon 5 is definitely in there as i was inspired by a lot of their ships, love that show.

Edited by Nuke

7 hours ago, Nuke said:

cool video. though i had to cringe at some of my experimental and cheaty things and stuff. like that flex joint was an experiment to try and do robotics parts with stock part modules. the q thruster was a blatant cheat mode part derived from the fixed engine. i did another alternate configuration on that fixed engine which is pretty much a torch drive that is impossible to keep cold enough to not explode. 

also wow some of those parts have in game numbers which are rather huge compared to the values i actually entered into the part files. needless to say the engine modules changed and i didnt. i always had problems with the jet engines being op. first time i tested it it threw my small plane into orbit, i would have survived too if the mun didnt throw me out of the kerbin system. i nerfed it, but somewhere an update gave it a defacto buff. the ducted fan for example is an order of magnitude more powerful than it should be.

as for the styling, i was actually going with a color scheme i used on my old freespace mod. a lot of shiny things and earth colors. sort of stole it from the rebels in rotj and then chromed it up because METAL!  initially i was just going to port them over but decided it would be too much trouble to cut them up into parts and they wouldn't fit with any of the stock parts because of all the unusual shapes (the chimera is there and a cockpit from one of the others but i lost the cfg for it somehow, it may have just been so broke that i deleted it). but i did use the mass of acquired photoshop presets in the textures. babylon 5 is definitely in there as i was inspired by a lot of their ships, love that show.

I was laughing through the entire vid. the number of times he says 'Tiny' and 'Grider' was like an OP drinking game!

some of the emmissives I thought were broken - weren't - so am happy about that.

I have to admit I didn't see the 'QuantumStuff' but am halfTempted to leave it because, well, it's "QuantumStuff" :o:o:o:P:D

Do you think the 'more-balanced' stats are in previous releases/R7? I will look and bring them in line.

Am thinking of adding more sizes of the girders. maybe a quartermeter? :P

will give much more attention to updating shortly. :)

PS - I thought the parts looked great!