I'm kind of in awe...

JoeSchmuckatelli

The artwork and music are consistently working together to take my breath away.

I know I've carped my share about the current state of the game... but to give credit where due; this game is beautiful - and the sound design works so well with the visuals.  It's times like this that the efforts of the team are so clear to see.  And to see that their collective vision is grand.

I managed my first capture at Mun today.  Just watched the whole orbit.  Sunrise to sunset.  Seeing the details in the craters... everything.  Listening to the music making the whole thing feel new and amazing.

It was a neat feeling.

pjy4g6v.jpg

I so want this team to succeed.

...and in the time it took to write this, the Kraken visited and dissected my ship.

LOL.

(Wondering if the Kraken might be a mem-leak.  I'd had the game on for a while)

FWIW - The "Paul Harvey" version of the above story is below.  Jump to Post

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

58 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I know I've carped my share about the current state of the game... but to give credit where due; this game is beautiful - and the sound design works so well with the visuals.  It's times like this that the efforts of the team are so clear to see.  And to see that their collective vision is grand.

I managed my first capture at Mun today.  Just watched the whole orbit.  Sunrise to sunset.  Seeing the details in the craters... everything.  Listening to the music making the whole thing feel new and amazing.

It was a neat feeling.

pjy4g6v.jpg

Didn't look at your post history, but if you haven't, go to Duna. I'm not gonna lie, between the visuals and the music, I did about 10 orbits of Duna and I teared up a bit. It's that amazing. 

EDIT: Gotta give credit where credit is due. @Dakota @Nerdy_Mike tell Howard Mostrom he made me cry when I visited and landed on Duna :D

Edited by Fluke

Thank god for saves!

I visited a thing!

Don't peek if you want to avoid 'spoilers'.

Spoiler

Ni11DA7.jpg

As you can see, my docking port and parts of the ship came un-aligned when I separated (and lost) my booster / return stage... but I still managed to land.

Bob.  You go, man!

18 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Didn't look at your post history, but if you haven't, go to Duna.

I've never made it to Duna my whole time playing KSP.  Made it to it's moon... 

But, now this Neanderthal Gamer is gonna give that a shot.

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Thank god for saves!

I visited a thing!

Don't peek if you want to avoid 'spoilers'.

Reveal hidden contents

Ni11DA7.jpg

As you can see, my docking port and parts of the ship came un-aligned when I separated (and lost) my booster / return stage... but I still managed to land.

Bob.  You go, man!

I've never made it to Duna my whole time playing KSP.  Made it to it's moon... 

But, now this Neanderthal Gamer is gonna give that a shot.

Never went to Dres before, but I got there a couple days ago and set my orbit up to match the rings with a slight inclination... Beautiful:

Spoiler

PeHzlgm.png

Edited by mcwaffles2003

My entire point. There's beauty in this game, once you work your way past the bugs.

I have done something I never did in KSP1, made it to Duna and back in a single ship, no docking, refueling, no orbital assembly. Aside from killer frame drops and return trajectory error, it was a glorious experience. 87FCAC2986D6BB73A46F627F74F0BC7D7697685C

This whole flight experience - while positive for the most part - was also a lesson in patience.  I doubt I would have finished it were I not both experienced at KSP (and Alpha/Beta/EA) and committed to enjoying KSP2.  Were I new to the series - it would have been impossible. 

• Out of the gate I experienced what I'm calling the 'Earthquake bug' - the whole ship, and in fact the entire launch platform / KSC intermittently shaking like there was a series of earthquakes.  One launch attempt, the quaking was so violent it broke the ship in half. I'm pretty sure it was caused by the faring
  • It took several attempts to get a launch where the ship did not break up shortly after launch.  The successful orbit was one I did not think would make it - but with an absurdly low attack angle / gravity turn and a LOT of fuel I eventually got an AP above the atmosphere. Saved game. 
  •  Circularization burn went well - but returning to the ship I found it broken in two with no fuel reported in any part. Reload and try again.  After that try it worked and I saved. The ship was still intermittently shaking - a physics event, as I could see Bob's head getting bobbley with each time the ship shook. 
  •  Faring separation was funny.  It did clamshell open (this time) - but then both pieces did an abrupt 90 degree turn and fell straight into the planet.  Saved game.  Also noted that after this the 'earthquake bug' quit affecting the game. 
  •  Set Mun as target and went for a Normal burn to change plane. And noticed nothing was changing.  Switched to the ship to see it was in two parts.  Again. Reload.  Finally got it to do the burn while staring at the ship and hoping.  Did enjoy the visuals! Returned to the map and I'm within 0.1 of the plane.  Good to go! 
  •  Worked out an incredibly fiddly Intercept with Mun.  Started the burn (afraid to switch views) in map mode... And noticed nothing was changing.  Switched to the ship to see it was in two parts.  Again. Except this time my docking ports are floating in space between the two pieces, but acting like they're connected. Reload.  Reworked the Intercept and ran the burn from ship view.  Switched to map to see the results... Game froze.  Alt+Tab shut down externally and restart the game.  Reworked the Intercept, did the burn, checked the map and all is well.  Saved. 
  •  Time warped to close to the Intercept to work out the capture burn.  Found the changes to be odd - and different from KSP - and only noticed the pathing around the Mun once it was close to circular.  Gonna take a mental shift to adjust to the new normal - but it's way less intuitive than KSP was.  Really enjoying the visuals from space at this point.  The lighting is spectacular.  Space and Kerbin and Mun are gorgeous.  Ship looks cool with the changing light. 
  •  Time warped to the burn and did the whole thing staring at the ship and the burn timer, afraid to shift to map view and just hoping everything works.  Timer complete and engine off - map view shows success!  I've got a low PE but AP is a bit high.  Saved game. Went back to ship view and just had to watch the sunrise on Mun.  Absolutely gorgeous and worth the effort! The details are awesome! 
  •  Went back to the map to set a MN to reduce AP.  Did the whole thing in ship view and going back to the map - it worked!  Saved game.  Time to get a plane change for the landing site.  Started the burn in map view and nothing happens.  Go to the ship and my engines and lower tank are floating next to the landing stage - which now has no fuel. Reload. 
  • Finally get the plane lined up with my intended landing site and the game saved. (took two more attempts).  Pretty clear that I want to get to where I'm going!  Orbit is stable. 
  •  Plan is to undock the lander and land then see if I can get back up there and redock after playing around on the Mun. That goes awry immediately. Despite several reloads I cannot get the ships to undock cleanly.  Every undock sends both crafts onto a crash course (when I can see orbit lines at all). Finally get a separation where I retain control of the lander and it has fuel.  Saved game. Even though the return ship shows fuel and has a RC pod - anything I do to it sends it into the death spin with an impact trajectory.  I switch back to the lander and it's controllable.  Some misaligned parts, like the docking port and battery - but it flies. 
  •  Manually burn prograde to see if I can raise the impact trajectory into an orbit (coming in too hot according to the track to even mess with a MN).  That works.  Save game. 
  •  Return to the ship to look around at the low altitude view of the Mun.  Gorgeous!  Notice I'm getting 20-30 FPS and enjoying it.  Back to the map and I have no orbital track.  Decide to just try for a landing anyway using nothing but experience, my view of the Mun and the Navball.  First landing completed!  Way off from the target, but worth planting a flag. 
  •  Launched the lander in the eyeballed direction of my target and flew manually until I spot it in the distance.  Landed.  Got out and then realized that I was really too far away to walk and got back in to fly it closer.  Worked like a charm! 
  •  Got out, looked around, enjoyed the artwork, planted a flag, hopped on some rocks, flew RCS to the top and took a bunch of screens. Vurrah Niise

Success! 

Oh - and during one of the burns... I noticed that hitting CNTRL + Print Screen is a dangerous combo.  Ship deceleration and all that. 

I just want to say, for how bad of shape the game is currently in, there are a decent amount of people, myself included, that are finally visiting places they never bothered to go. KSP1 was around for over a decade and this has been out less than two weeks and I just finally got to Dres.

Imagine what it will be like when most of the bugs are gone... None the less when colonies, other star systems, and fellow kerbonauts are part of the game

Edited by mcwaffles2003

13 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I just want to say, for how bad of shape the game is currently in, there are a decent amount of people, myself included, that are finally visiting places they never bothered to go. KSP1 was around for over a decade and this has been out less than two weeks and I just finally got to Dres.

Imagine what it will be like when most of the bugs are gone... None the less when colonies, other star systems, and fellow kerbonauts are part of the game

Yeah.  I'm starting to get a bit of hope back; but it's a whole like doing the Walts.  Step forward, step to the side, step back, step to the side.

I'm not so much playing as trying to do stuff around the bugs.  But the potential is there.

That said; I was playing around with the docking bug at KSC - can't recreate it.  Had two rovers, docked and was able to dock and undock them on the runway for a bit... then they decided that friction is a meaningless concept and started bouncing and sliding about on their own.

(eyeroll)

20 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

It was a neat feeling.

Totally felt exactly the same. Think I was more impressed with the sound and music at first before appreciated the graphics/art. 

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.