What did YOU do for KSP2?

Vl3d

There are too many posts complaining about KSP2. So let me ask you, the reader, directly: what did you do for KSP2?

How are you helping the game and the community be the best it can be?

Speaking for myself:

- I have bought KSP1+DLCs and KSP2

- I've submitted reports for every bug I've found

- I've written hundreds of suggestions to the devs

- I try to be an active and helpful member of the Forum and Discord community

I also avoid sterile complaining and I still have faith that KSP2 will be the greatest game ever made.

Your turn!

Edited by Vl3d

Its not the job of consumers to do something for a product they purchase. But looking at modern software i probably do more involuntarily for software than i want to since it has become normal to simply take a consumers money and personal data and statistical data without an option to opt out or compensation (i still dont understand why so many people accept that) ...

So what did consumers do - they gave money in exchange for a product. The only question to me is - did the company do enough for the price they charged.

Also - its probably modders and the community that made KSP1 the success it is and that built up the community and playerbase for KSP2.

Edited by Moons

5 minutes ago, Moons said:

Its not the job of consumers to do something for a product they purchase. But looking at modern software i probably do more involuntarily for software than i want to since it has become normal to simply take a consumers money and personal data and statistical data without an option to opt out or compensation (i still dont understand why so many people accept that) ...

So what did consumers do - they gave money in exchange for a product. The only question to me is - did the company do enough for the price they charged.

What did you do for this community? I'm not interested in your role as consumer.

Edited by Vl3d

9 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

What did you do for this community? I'm not interested in your role as consumer.

I participate in the forums, told friends about how great the game is and recommended it to them - thats probably more than most people do that buy a game.

7 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

19 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

How is that doing something for the community? You've just given Take-Two money. Community gets absolutely nothing from it.

20 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

This is good. I've done the same, but maybe only a couple of suggestions instead of hundreds - most suggestions from this community are overlapping.

what did you do for KSP2?

I payed 55 USD (240 PLN) for a hope of a good succesor! Sumbitted > 10 bug reports and some suggestions. 

I'm glad we can also be positive and proactive. Our common goal is to help build a great game. Anything else is just a waste of energy.

Buying the game is the most pragmatic and easy way to support future development.

Edited by Vl3d

5 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I'm glad we can also be positive and proactive. Our common goal is to help build a great game. Anything else is just a waste of energy.

Buying the game is the most pragmatic and easy way to support future development.

I dont think so - beeing overly positive isnt a good thing. There are lots of issues and they need to be adressed sooner than later - only that can help the game.

When you make a bad decision but nobody tells you it is a bad decision and instead everyone tries to be nice - do you think that doing that helps more than it harms?

Im really negative about the future of this game - but more in a way like - please change and rethink what and how you are doing it and i will instantly buy your game.

Edited by Moons

41 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

There are too many posts complaining about KSP2. So let me ask you, the reader, directly: what did you do for KSP2?

Speaking for myself:

I also avoid sterile complaining and I still have faith that KSP2 will be the greatest game ever made.

Your turn!

I'm 50 short

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

Speaking for myself:

Your turn!

Paying for it is the only part that clients are supposed to do.

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

what did you do for KSP2?

I've been (and am) highlighting, translating, and reposting everything about the development of both KSP 2 and 1 to the biggest Russian community for a few years now. I want the franchise to be popular, more accessible and I want my fellow kerbonauts to be informed.

That's it.

I have been a member of the forums since March 2013. The date of my profile says April because I also remember The Great Forum Crash of April 2013 that swallowed up and destroyed several weeks’ worth of posts without backups (thanks, Squad!). I actively participated in every KSP release and submitted numerous bug reports from versions 0.19 through about 1.2, and even won a contest where I got to name a Kerbal for one of the bugs I reported. 

I’ve posted a LOT of techniques and suggestions for people struggling to understand the basics of rocketry, rocket design, aerodynamics and orbital mechanics, much of which is informed not only by thousands of hours of playing KSP but also by my education as an aerospace engineer.  

I hope to do more of the same throughout the development of KSP2.

Ok, so... Ready for an Ego-Trip in no particular order ? Don't forget to read the conclusion as well haha.

- I've posted the biggest numbers of KSP related post in French, accounting all existing platform, for the past 11 years or so.

- I've helped as much players as I happen to encounter, from total newbies to expert, depending on my own experience at that time.

- I've founded and actively leaded the French association called Kerbal Space Challenge, which organize Online KSP challenges (huge one, like, really), animating and gathering the community with whole new dedicated platforms (website, forum, discord, twitter, twitch, etc etc). Our main goal being education contents, reproducing IRL missions, making the players meet together and share their common passion, exploring their talents in drawings, videos, mathematics, story telling, etc.

- I've teached KSP and Orbital Mechanics in junior school, university, engineering high-school, and will continue to do so with KSP1 this year

- I've organized, along my KSC association, the #KSPACECONTEST, the very first IRL KSP Hackathon, with 1000€ cash prizes but more importantly institutional jurors like ESA, CNES, Lattitude, and others. I was among them but just as a KSP expert, such an amazing event, so proud we made it !

- I've wrote the most comprehensive KSP Guide that I know of, humbly, to learn KSP as a newbie or as an intermediate player that want to get it with some additional popularization of light scientific concept and the "whys", the "hows". And many other reference posts that are used for years, but are not "proper" clean tutorial, more very detailed answers.

- I've shared my passion for KSP all along, also using Youtube to host some Full Stock (except graphics, come on ^^) cinematics. There is only a few as they took me about 50-100h each, but I've enjoyed doing them !

- I've organized BDA Tournament, very look like the Runway Project but in our french community with other rules. Thanks to the BDA Dev, it's really something crazy good to play with :o And statistics, gosh, I love table to play with, colours, numbers, podium haha.

- I've co-wrote a kOS script that automate the whole Perfect Gravity Turn adjustment and it belong to my best recent KSP memory ! I don't write code myself, can read it ok-ish, but we've spent like 50-100 hours to think about it, to make it reliable, to take into account various exotic crafts, etc, it's like the "Gravity Turn" mod but using kOS and quite much more agressive to get the perfect Gravity Turn, and it's soooo enjoyable to see the thing going automatically :D It helped a bunch of people to visually see, feel, and understand how Gravity Turn work and how they can be more agressive as they would dare to do manually ;)

- I've bought KSP1 about 3 times for me at various occasion, about 3 more times for presents, and I probably lead people / university / other structure to buy a hundred more.

- I've bought KSP2 full steam price. And right after the 2019 Trailer, I ran a whole comprehensive survey regarding the most wanted features, in our french community. Don't think KSP2 did anything with it, when I submitted them the result back in the days... haha. Anyway, I tried again recently, in the forum, after the EA Launch. Might still be useful, and haven't seen other survey like this, it really had some cool ideas prior the launch.

- And other things I don't think about !

Now, the "conclusion" : i'm really pessimistic and have been very salty regarding the KSP2 launch. I mean, by all i've made so far "for" and thanks to KSP, I'm maybe the post passionate and invested french guys. It really means something big for who I am today. And despite this, I'm so sad of how KSP2 turned out. I don't feel like I want to open steam and launch it. I don't want to promote it, etc. How crazy is that, after all that time enjoying KSP1 and waiting for KSP2 ? I mean, i'm tipically the guys commited to the cause, that can only love a new KSP. And yet... nah. I don't think we'll ever get the KSP2 that should last for another decade, technically up to date, with all the promises that were made, and that make me sad. Anyway, time will speak, finger crossed !

Edit : I must add that I've never really be able to communicate with KSP1 and KSP2 teams. Like... Really not. I've not been asking for anything, of course, as they don't owe me at all, but some help to promote the biggest activities and events, that are premiere for KSP, that help selling it, promote the educational potential, etc, nah, nothing. It really adds to the "meh" feeling about the communication, which barely only look at Reddit, pick a random image and post it, or publish an homemade low effort screenshot or challenge idea with no involvement at all. Not happy of this part of my KSP route, unfortunately, we could have done much more with just a little acknowledgment. That's my very personnel point of view, not the one of this KSC association.

Edited by Dakitess

I am going to list a few things I did in regards to KSP2 and what I intended to to and what I still hope to do going forward. I leave it up to others to judge if that has brought or does bring any value to the community.

• Since 2019, I tried to break down all the new feature video releases as soon as they were available. Mostly because I myself enjoy this type of analysis and detective work but also because I thought this could be useful for people to gauge where the game is at in its development and where it's going.
  • At many points during the past 3-4 years, I tried to get more information out of the developers than they offered on public channels - rarely with success, unfortunately.
  • Since availability of the game, I have reported 74 Bugs and a couple of other issues I regard as wrong design choices to the developers - probably most of them duplicates of stuff others have reported already, since we don't really have a public bug tracker where we can look up what's what (yeah there's the subforum... but that doesn't replace a real bug tracker). I assume this is because Intercept Games has to bow to some T2 corporate rules that prevent this kind of transparenc (just a guess on my part based on the fact I was part of gigantic corporation at one point and know a little how they work).
  • With my KSP2 videos, I try to entertain people and also show them what can be done - if the game permits it. I have already given up on 3 projects (after multiple hours invested) because game breaking bugs prevented me from reaching any semblance of completion.
  • I try to be more active here on the forums than I was in the years past, because, frankly, my enthusiasm for KSP1 had worn off. And I might not be alone. I hope that with my increased involvement I can keep that flame for "awesome space game with little green men" alive for the next generation. I believe the world would miss something special if we wouldn't have had KSP1 and I sincerely hope KSP2 will one day reach the same status. Long story short: that's why I try to be more active again, to keep that flame going - as long as the developers deliver in the end.

In general, I don't think people should feel the need to contribute in the sense of creating content or moderating etc. If you want to, fine. If you just want to consume the game and the content provided here on the forums or on YouTube or Twitch or whatever, that's fine, too. Because if we're being honest, a loyal audience is also worth a lot and I count that as a contribution as well. So thanks to everyone who has followed me and my channel over the years and continues to do so, I appreciate all of you!

Ha, ShadowZone, you're the Youtuber I like the most among the English-Speaking contents, when it comes to KSP news, analysis, etc. I feel like you're very honest and fair when it comes to criticism as well as compliments. Thanks for that !

5 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Speaking for myself:

Your turn!

This is the way.

Also, all of the above (if you count advocating for life support etc. as suggestions for the devs ;) ).

Edited by Wheehaw Kerman

Why should I pay for a product and then do their job by reporting bugs? BTW. You don't need to report bugs. The game is basically unplayable and the devs are fully aware of them. 

I supported them by buying it and honestly. I probably shouldn't have. There is probably big issues behind the scenes. They'll probably start sacking people. 

I gave the game a better review on Steam than I think it deserves? I've tried to both caution people over-dramatizing the situation and those being rude to honestly disappointed people. In a few threads I tried to point out overblown expectations to not set up people for future disappointment (your perfect rewind features comes to mind tbh).

7 hours ago, LameLefty said:

I have been a member of the forums since March 2013. The date of my profile says April because I also remember The Great Forum Crash of April 2013 that swallowed up and destroyed several weeks’ worth of posts without backups (thanks, Squad!)

Same, damn it's hard to imagine it's been 10 years.   just hard to get your head around.

Done over 200 bug reports for KSP1, Involved myself in other peoples bug reports on the bug tracker to reproduce their bugs etc. Reported 18 Bug reports for KSP2 so far

Contributed on the KSP forums from time to time.

Helped quite a few people on the reddit ksp discord with their problems playing KSP1.

Bought KSP1 twice, steam and GOG, bought both DLCs once on steam,  Got KSP as a bundle. Gave that away to someone on one of the discords I belong to. Claimed a free copy of KSP via Epic recently.

That's enough I would say.

Edited by Anth12

8 hours ago, Vl3d said:

lolwut

I gave them money for an early access product and I've been quite patient waiting for releases, that should be enough.

9 hours ago, ShadowZone said:

I assume this is because Intercept Games has to bow to some T2 corporate rules that prevent this kind of transparenc (just a guess on my part based on the fact I was part of gigantic corporation at one point and know a little how they work).

This seems unlikely since KSP1 was running under Take2 for what, 4-5 years, and had a public bug tracker the whole time.  I think it's far more likely they haven't gotten around to setting one up, or realize that it's kind of moot at this stage of development - many bugs reported now are already tracked and by the time they got around to reviewing public bugs it'd just be busy work clearing out a massively backlog of dupes & known fixed issues.

13 hours ago, Vl3d said:

I'm reporting threads that devolve into personal attacks to the Moderators.

As yet, that's about all I can do. When the game's worth $50 in my opinion, I'll buy it and then I'll be able to contribute more.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.