Approaching Patch One

Nate Simpson

37 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

It sure would be nice if the Community Managers remembered that “community” includes this Forum, which has long-predated the existence of Discord. :/

Newspapers predate discord too, and they didn't publish there either.  Nor did I receive anything in pony express.

Things change my friend, better to roll with it than to stand there and watch it go by.

(To be fair I agree they 'should', but the truth is, forum isn't how these companies operate anymore.  So time to start adjusting)

Edited by Kurtvw

7 minutes ago, Kurtvw said:

Things change my friend, better to roll with it than to stand there and watch it go by.

To clarify the Thumbs Up I gave: I absolutely hate Discord, but this is what it is.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

To clarify the Thumbs Up I gave: I absolutely hate Discord, but this is what it is.

agreed -- Well I hate it for developers trying to support.   I love it for gaming with my friends, etc.  It hands down wins that fight.

But as a support channel, yup, it sucks.  But, it's how the world decided to be, so that's that...

2 hours ago, Kurtvw said:

Newspapers predate discord too, and they didn't publish there either.  Nor did I receive anything in pony express.

(To be fair I agree they 'should', but the truth is, forum isn't how these companies operate anymore.  So time to start adjusting)

I really like the way Discord organizes communities and such.

That said, people drifting to something as isolated as Discord is from the usual internet search has made it so certain information and data is kept under the requirement of downloading X software, joining X server and THEN looking for said data/info. Data/info that's way more volatile than forums are. This topic has been an ongoing piece of discussion for a while now with the rise in popularity of Discord replacing classic forums and community hubs.

I like that devs/CMs are actively participating in the Discord in a laid back/casual manner and answering some basic questions every now and then, but I agree with the other user that certain info, such as that concerning the game's patches or updates, should be posted in parallel on the forums aswell, to at least keep both platforms on par in terms of available info.

Edited by MARL_Mk1

36 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

but I agree with the other user that certain info, such as that concerning the game's patches or updates, should be posted in parallel on the forums aswell, to at least keep both platforms on par in terms of available info.

Exactly.  Discord's real weekspot is having any archival capability... Sure, you can pin a post, but its not like a pinned forum topic that is always easily seen, discord pins you have to deliberate go look at.

The conversation scrolls along WAY too fast to be useful for anything other than immediate chat -- It does chat great.   But it really stinks for static info.

3 hours ago, Kurtvw said:

The conversation scrolls along WAY too fast to be useful for anything other than immediate chat -- It does chat great.   

And I'd argue that it does chat great - IF you are on a server with less than some undefined critical mass of people actively posting at the same time. Bonus points if the server members aren't behaving like over-caffeinated 12 year olds with the attention span of your garden variety squirrel. It's not conversation - it's stream of consciousness blather on most large servers. 

Edited by LameLefty
typos

I don't suppose we have some idea on what time of day they'll release Patch 1, do we? Asking for a friend. A desperate, space-maddened friend who has been warring with bugs just to get to Minmus and back... ;p
 giphy.gif

44 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

9 hours from now means it's the middle of the night in Seattle.

Unless you meant something else.

54 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

3 PM EST give or take 9 hours 

3pm Thursday EST = 12 pm PST.  Subtract 9 hours and 3am PST is certainly unlikely - but some games do update servers at that time.  9pm PST would be late... But still Thursday EST. 

Barely. 

I explain this for the literal minded - but it was in fact a 'quip' which I acknowledge some find difficult to grasp. 

Here, then, is a definition:

quip

1 of 2

noun

a
: a clever usually taunting remark : GIBE
b
: a witty or funny observation or response usually made on the spur of the moment

2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

3pm Thursday EST = 12 pm PST.  Subtract 9 hours and 3am PST is certainly unlikely - but some games do update servers at that time.  9pm PST would be late... But still Thursday EST. 

Barely. 

I explain this for the literal minded - but it was in fact a 'quip' which I acknowledge some find difficult to grasp. 

Here, then, is a definition:

quip

1 of 2

noun

a
: a clever usually taunting remark : GIBE
b
: a witty or funny observation or response usually made on the spur of the moment

This is such a classic “silly unlearned peasant” forum moment. 

makes me sad that forums aren’t as popular as they used to be

2 hours ago, Kalessin1 said:

For clarification we should use UTC time to be easily transferred to other zone times. Remember, there are other countries then USA, and for reference we use UTC:sticktongue: 

Thats the beauty of time zones, the reference zone you pick is arbitrary.     As long as it’s specified which time zone they’re referencing, it doesn’t matter which one it is.