No update this weekend.

RaBDawG

2 hours ago, TickleMyMary said:

Hopefully next week?

I do see some movement here today... Kerbal Space Program 2 Depots · SteamDB

There have been updates to multiple depots starting a couple days after launch, and every day since except some weekend time. Just ordinary development activity.  Until something goes into Staging and then Public, there is no patch coming. 

And as posted several times on Discord (while ignoring the Forums, which is becoming unfortunately common), there is no patch coming this weekend. 

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

"You told me the food would be ready three hours ago! I don't care that an unexploded mine under the kitchen forced you to start from scratch! It's your fault I can't refund! It's fine as long as the company messing up the food is the one I grew up with!"

“My expectations have not been met!  I demand to see the manager!”

1 hour ago, LameLefty said:

There have been updates to multiple depots starting a couple days after launch, and every day since except some weekend time. Just ordinary development activity.  Until something goes into Staging and then Public, there is no patch coming. 

And as posted several times on Discord (while ignoring the Forums, which is becoming unfortunately common), there is no patch coming this weekend. 

Just wait until they start naming their versions with variations of “BIG NEWS!!!”…

11 minutes ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

Just wait until they start naming their versions with variations of “BIG NEWS!!!”…

I’m sure that will fool everyone, just like all those wi-fi networks around any apartment block labeled “FBI” and “NSA SURVEILLANCE VAN”  ….

I think they have currently no BLOCKER in their Jira development system, so they are not forced to release a HOTFIX and will release a standard patch version (minor release, 0.1.1 perhaps) in about 6 weeks (because most of them are on vacation now after the EA release). My guess. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Update: First patch for next thursday announced. Great! Ilike to be a beta tester of micro releases, that's a lot of fun for me. Kraken! We are coming :-)

Edited by TomKerbal

18 hours ago, RocketRockington said:

"The food at this 3star restaurant took 6 hours for you to make!  You told me it would be ready 3 hours ago.  You told me it would be the best meal I ever had!  That's why I kept sitting here waiting!  And it's undercooked!  And overpriced! And its worse than I can have right going to the food stand that has the food ready already!" is a more apt analogy.

It comes down to whether the expectations are not justified.  And the people who think it's ok to charge $50 for the garbage that got released after the years of delays - enjoy the slop that you got. 

Heres the thing I don't get... Why does price matter to you so much if the content is garbage in your opinion? 

I have a bin of garbage and I'll give it to you for a steal. You think$50 is too much? You can have all of min for just $0.50. It's not even hot garbage, it's plain garbage. 

Deal?

4 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

The issue with this train of thought is that they won't be able to get to the finish line if the game is broken the whole time.  The developers need to strike a balance between pushing out patches to fix the obvious bugs and working on the roadmap stuff to get the game to a finished state.  Prioritizing one over the other, regardless of direction, means the whole is compromised.

When I understand the devs correctly it's not that everyone right now is squashing bugs. Rather there seems to be a group of devs fixing bugs while othesr keep working on the systems they are assigned to. So they  work in parallel. As to how many features they work in parallel on no idea but we definitely saw things like colonies and interstellar travel before so there will be separate branches for that. 

2 minutes ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

The discord would go popcorn-worthy levels of nuts :).

Screw the Discord - I’m annoyed enough there’s a “playtest” depot on Steam that was refreshed an hour ago and two weeks after launch, we still don’t have a public patch with the stuff Nate said was fixed a week ago. 

7 minutes ago, kicka55 said:

When I understand the devs correctly it's not that everyone right now is squashing bugs. Rather there seems to be a group of devs fixing bugs while othesr keep working on the systems they are assigned to. So they  work in parallel. As to how many features they work in parallel on no idea but we definitely saw things like colonies and interstellar travel before so there will be separate branches for that. 

That would be a fairly safe assumption. 

While you try to avoid a situation where only one dev understands any given part of the codebase, people do work on different areas, and when debugging it makes sense to have people work on the areas they know best. Throwing in more people can just cause more chaos. 

So most likely the devs working on science, colonies, interstellar, or MP will still be working on science, colonies, interstellar, or MP, while the devs working on the systems that are in EA now will be... busy.  

19 hours ago, RaBDawG said:

They are literally going to wait three weeks for a patch?

That's not how it works. That's not how any of that works.

They (Intercept) are not going to wait for the patch. Software doesn't write itself, you know. They're going to work—I assume very hard— on creating that patch.

The ones doing the waiting are us. Not them.

19 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

Screw the Discord - I’m annoyed enough there’s a “playtest” depot on Steam that was refreshed an hour ago and two weeks after launch, we still don’t have a public patch with the stuff Nate said was fixed a week ago. 

That is part of testing too. You don't just want to have a working "KSP2.exe" — you want to have one that works after downloading from Steam. So that part needs testing as well. And then there's this other aspect of testing: sometimes they fail. After all, if all your tests pass every single time, you wouldn't need testing at all. So maybe they had planned to release this Friday, but there were a few failed tests—a bug didn't get resolved after all, or maybe it introduced another bug severe enough to be considered "game breaking"

For the love of the good gods in the sky, this isn't a "Waiting" situation. *slams her head in to her desk* Devs don't "wait" to put a patch out. We get bug reports, we collate, attempt to reproduce, triage, work on fixes, merge fixes, test fixes before and after merges, hope fix a doesn't cause bug b, and work hard towards getting a public build out that is stable, performant, and the "fixes" actually STICK. How many times have you read dev notes for another game that said,

"We fixed X"

You went and played he update, and sure enough, "Nope, X is not fixed, also you broke Y" 

Hmm? How many times?

I might be frustrated and disappointed like the rest of you, believe me I am, but I want a solid, performant, stable, first patch to come in like a wrecking ball and fix as much as possible. I will wait.  I have KSP 1 mods to keep me company. I have dozens of other games, I'm certain a lot of you have large libraries as well, go explore something else.  

So many of you forget patch 0.7.3, the first version of KSP and how very little there was, KSP 0.7.3 didn't even have space in it...
So many of you forget the 91 Updates across nearly a decade of work.
So many of you forget the monthly update cadence that KSP 1 had until release. (or near monthly, 0.16 was July 2012 and 0.17 was sept 2012 but meh, point stands) 

I would ask you lot to stop wildly speculating about a work flow, and work environment you know nothing about (and that's not an insult, it's just the truth, I don't either.) but if you're not going to, you can at least stop wildly speculating about motives and intent for a few days? Good gods above it's annoying. "The devs are waiting so people can't refund!" Like... COME ON. GROW UP. Good lords.

I'm going to regret posting this as soon as I post it, I know that, but, meh, I'm frustrated to so...take it or leave it. 

Edited by RayneCloud

27 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

The discord is already going even more completely feral… and they could have just called the patch “playtest” to torment you.

38 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

- I’m annoyed enough there’s a “playtest” depot on Steam ...

The key here is it's called 'playTEST'.   That means it needs TESTING.  As in 'we need  to make sure this works as intended'. 

17 minutes ago, RayneCloud said:

So many of you forget

I get the feeling that people who complain about the state of the game and compare development time / team size with KSP 1 completely misunderstood how bigger the scope of KSP 2 is. They just want the original with better graphics.

Edited by cocoscacao

27 minutes ago, RayneCloud said:

So many of you forget patch 0.7.3, the first version of KSP and how very little there was, KSP 0.7.3 didn't even have space in it...

I think I also forgot how many people were developing KSP at that point, or how much it was selling for. Please remind us. 

8 minutes ago, astropapi1 said:

I think I also forgot how many people were developing KSP at that point, or how much it was selling for. Please remind us. 

I think it was a few people learning to code part time that worked for a marketing firm? Does that sound familiar? 

I also find the comparisons between KSP 1 and KSP 2 rather pointless. It was a new genre at the time & they still figured out a lot of stuff, especially considering KSP 1 was released over 10 years ago.  If a modern shooter were to lack WASD I wouldn't point to it not being the default in Doom either. 

A lot of the stuff about bug collecting and triage makes perfect a lot of sense in other context, but in the case of KSP 2 they either decided to release knowingly with a lot of known critical bugs such as savegame corruption, SAS spinning out of control, issues with stable orbits and severe frame rate issues, or they didn't weren't even aware of those bugs. I don't really believe that, but either way neither option reflects well.

Not to forget that 0.73 was basically half a year old. 

10 minutes ago, astropapi1 said:

I've already mentioned above... but... You're comparing games with very different scopes.

2 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

I've already mentioned above... but... You're comparing games with very different scopes.

No, the people justifying the state of KSP 2 with the initial release of KSP 1 make a comparison by pointing to the 0.73 release of the original game.

I'd read astropapi1 as pointing out why those games can't be compared.