Modern Earth Versus The Tomorrow War Whitespikes

Spacescifi

I recently saw and enjoyed this movie.

But I tended to think that IRL we would not even need time travel since I honestly think we would have gone nuke happy on the whitespikes.

The main problem is that they are in a country WITH nukes, so that county would be the one that would have to first nuke their own country.

But before that they no doubt would try pitched battles with the army, and after severe losses at some point I reckon they would just start air bombing them with nukes taking any civilian casualitues as a necessary evil to stop an unrelenting alien monster swarm invasion.

What do you think? What are the odds tge Whitespike aliens could actually be stoppes in Russia without overrunning it and spreading across the rest of the planet?

Edited by Spacescifi

Such fast creature spends a lot of energy, and it doesn't have any fur or so.

Based on the temperature and distances, it (slow, cold, and unhappy) would be shot down either by local hunters, or by pipeline guards, or by soldiers at the nearest military base.

But if it had broken through to Finnland or Norway...

Of course, if it had reached USA, they would feed it up to Cloverfield size, and the things got worse.

(Compare this one and Cloverfield. Looks like they used cheap scenery left after the latter.)

Edited by kerbiloid

32 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Such fast creature spends a lot of energy, and it doesn't have any fur or so.

Based on the temperature and distances, it (slow, cold, and unhappy) would be shot down either by local hunters, or by pipeline guards, or by soldiers at the nearest military base.

But if it had broken through to Finnland or Norway...

Of course, if it had reached USA, they would feed it up to Cloverfield size, and the things got worse.

(Compare this one and Cloverfield. Looks like they used cheap scenery left after the latter.)

This, now add in an real military force with helicopter gunships, artillery and air strikes. 
Most people don't realize how lethal stuff get then you move outside of rifles, who elephant rifles belong. these are the guns used to hunt elephants. 
An M2  heavy machine gun round is many times more powerful.  Its also an much less nimble gun you are not supposed to firing it except laying down behind it. 
I say its our dinosaur gun. 
Things get exponential more lethal.  One major problem with something living is that its not couple of blocks of armor like an tank and getting larger simply make you easier to hit.  Have fun armoring even Godzilla against heave armor piercing bombs.  They was used during WW 2 killing battleships,  modern ones can hit moving targets. 

And if you get something ridiculous you could nuke it. 

On 3/12/2023 at 12:53 AM, magnemoe said:

An M2  heavy machine gun round is many times more powerful.

...and people are already dipping their toes into biood-mounted .50 cals. The record for a portable infantry support weapon as of this year is a 23x152 mm belt-fed autocannon.

On 3/11/2023 at 4:53 PM, magnemoe said:

helicopter gunships

I'm sorry - but T-Rex Analogs are impervious to 30mm autocannon from attack helos.

Hollywood said so.

So Aliens?

It's Game Over Man!

(Forum rules prevent linking the actual movie clip)

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

Earth has been decimated by aliens that started appearing a time X.

So we build a time machine that can reach a time before time X.

Let's pull all the able-bodied fighters to THIS time to fight the aliens here! Not try to stop the invasion before it even starts!

I think most people don't realise how destructive even the humble NATO 7.62x51mm round is.  It's hard to fire even just semi-auto from a rifle (and really demands a better designed round like 7.92x42mm CETME), but it can rip huge chunks off of people or cause very destructive wound cavities.

Many other rounds have less energy (still rather destructive though), but a lot have more.

you know i always assumed id already seen this movie, but i had it confused with edge of tomorrow, and therefor assumed i already saw it. anyway i have just rectified that error and watched the movie.

was anyone else thinking, where the hell did the time travel tech come from?

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

The last defenders of the Earth look so much equipped in the video.

These should be:

Reveal hidden contents

redneck-rampage-rides-again-offer-du6ov.

you know i almost bought that game. but i opted for carmageddon instead. i do not regret that decision.

Edited by Nuke

On 3/11/2023 at 12:53 PM, magnemoe said:

This, now add in an real military force with helicopter gunships, artillery and air strikes. 
Most people don't realize how lethal stuff get then you move outside of rifles, who elephant rifles belong. these are the guns used to hunt elephants. 
An M2  heavy machine gun round is many times more powerful.  Its also an much less nimble gun you are not supposed to firing it except laying down behind it. 
I say its our dinosaur gun. 
Things get exponential more lethal.  One major problem with something living is that its not couple of blocks of armor like an tank and getting larger simply make you easier to hit.  Have fun armoring even Godzilla against heave armor piercing bombs.  They was used during WW 2 killing battleships,  modern ones can hit moving targets. 

And if you get something ridiculous you could nuke it. 

i wondered why they didn't use grenade launchers. they have some rather impressive grenade launchers today they could have used. the weak underbelly would have made them vulnerable to mines, ieds, or a frag grenade fired at the ground directly beneath them. high calibur rifle, shotguns (which they did seem to have) loaded with slugs. their standard issue seemed to be spray and pray type weapons. and why even bother with the sidearms? 

19 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Earth has been decimated by aliens that started appearing a time X.

So we build a time machine that can reach a time before time X.

Let's pull all the able-bodied fighters to THIS time to fight the aliens here! Not try to stop the invasion before it even starts!

Sounds nonsensical until you remember they were trying to covid-19 the aliens... and no one knew their modern day location so the only way to develop a kill chemical agent was in the future.

The future gave their lives up for the past but provided just enough intelligence to beat them in the present.

10 hours ago, Nuke said:

i wondered why they didn't use grenade launchers. they have some rather impressive grenade launchers today they could have used. the weak underbelly would have made them vulnerable to mines, ieds, or a frag grenade fired at the ground directly beneath them. high calibur rifle, shotguns (which they did seem to have) loaded with slugs. their standard issue seemed to be spray and pray type weapons. and why even bother with the sidearms? 

Yeah it does seem implausible... then again if these creatures reproduce at an unusual high rate it is because the creatures are unlikely to be natural to begin with.

My guess is mankind tried all of what you said but they reproduce so fast it makes no difference.

They probably can reproduce off a single meal.... and perhaps mature to adulthood within days. The queens may take longer but they are both rare and well protected.

After all the aliens appear to be literal living weapons in the flesh.

Nukes should have stopped them, unless the cursed things can swim and survive off ocean life... I would not put it past them really.

1. Any reproduction needs a lot of time for same chemical reactions to form same amount of structures. No biocreature can reproduce at the  Earth temperature faster than the Earthlings do.
(And it would boil if tried to get hotter, because the proteins would denaturate).

2a. Queens exist in hives, at least because they suppress other females reproductive ability by her pheromones, and because a hive is a fixed structure.
Actively moving  species can have only minor queenlets in their small families, but not anything like ants or bees.

2b. A queen should be quickly replaceable, to get a new one when the previous one is gone. Thus the queens can exist only for tiny species with thousands of chemically suppressed females. When the suppression fails (no queen - no pheromones), a random one quickly develops its reproductive ability and becomes a new queen. It's impossible for large multi-year species.

So, the very setting is totally anti-scientific.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 3/16/2023 at 12:03 AM, Spacescifi said:

They probably can reproduce off a single meal....

...and all the materials for an abult individual would come from a pocket dimension?

Basically, it just doesn't look like a well-designed setting.

i believe soccer was used for its international appeal.

though i think it would have been funnier if it was a hockey game. the time travelers would be falling on their booties and the hockey players highsticking them in the face for interrupting their thing. of course they would apologize afterwords (unless it was an alaskan hockey game, we would throw fish at them, ive been to 2 hockey games, and this happened at both of them). 

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.