Instrument landing system for KSP

So with the new runway lights flashing at me, being modeled after a precision landing lighting system.  It would be fantastic if KSP had one of the runways set up with an ILS. 

basically, it's a set of bars in your NAV ball that guide you from far away to tell you your left/right off center line, and high or low of glidepath ( normally 3 degrees. 

The two bars could automatically show up when you are aligning with the runway and guide you in.  Would make landing planes much easier esp when setting up from far out with a janky design. 

There was a mod for ksp1 I played with briefly, so I believe technically it's possible. 

13 hours ago, Elfmaze said:

So with the new runway lights flashing at me, being modeled after a precision landing lighting system.  It would be fantastic if KSP had one of the runways set up with an ILS. 

basically, it's a set of bars in your NAV ball that guide you from far away to tell you your left/right off center line, and high or low of glidepath ( normally 3 degrees. 

The two bars could automatically show up when you are aligning with the runway and guide you in.  Would make landing planes much easier esp when setting up from far out with a janky design. 

There was a mod for ksp1 I played with briefly, so I believe technically it's possible. 

I agree - ILS is a must. I'm surprised KSP1 didn't add it in, to be honest. It would certainly help with landing at KSC from orbit (without having to LITERALLY eyeball it).

I think the devs have a bit on their plate at the moment, but I feel at least looking into ILS for the runways is worth the effort.

5 hours ago, Cailean_556 said:

I agree - ILS is a must. I'm surprised KSP1 didn't add it in, to be honest. It would certainly help with landing at KSC from orbit (without having to LITERALLY eyeball it).

I think the devs have a bit on their plate at the moment, but I feel at least looking into ILS for the runways is worth the effort.

I was willing to accept it until they put in that beautiful MALSR lighting system on the runway.  

But yes, not high priority... But we'd be really cool and educational to teach people how we really land planes. Stabilized approaches are key

2 hours ago, Elfmaze said:

But yes, not high priority... But we'd be really cool and educational to teach people how we really land planes. Stabilized approaches are key

KSP is as to flight simulators what MSFS with the various car and boats mods is to Forza.  If people want to learn ILS procedures, they should go install MSFS and start practicing at their favorite airport and pick a favorite plane.

But still, for spaceplanes, it would be great to have something like MechJeb’s spaceplane guidance module, that gives you constantly updated distance and bearing to the threshold of KSC’s runways. And further, I think the developers really missed a trick when adding all these new launch pads, boat ramps and a second runway, in NOT making at least one runway angled for ease of return from non-equatorial orbits. A RWY 03/210 would have been great. 

On 3/12/2023 at 8:21 AM, LameLefty said:

But still, for spaceplanes, it would be great to have something like MechJeb’s spaceplane guidance module, that gives you constantly updated distance and bearing to the threshold of KSC’s runways. And further, I think the developers really missed a trick when adding all these new launch pads, boat ramps and a second runway, in NOT making at least one runway angled for ease of return from non-equatorial orbits. A RWY 03/210 would have been great. 

I haven't used MechJeb for this feature so I'm not totally sure, but this sounds similar to a real-world VOR/DME, allowing you to reckon your bearing and distance to the airport. I don't think we need a full on ILS in KSP, but having some kind of bearing/distance indicator would be awesome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.