Struts not intended for large craft?

Fullmetal Analyst

qzSbNIW.jpg

so as you can see, we are not supposed to use struts to keep large craft from wobbling and falling apart

now my question is: how are we supposed to make large craft if we cant eve use struts on them properly?

EDIT: after launching and reverting, the game decided to make weird struts and fuel lines, just not in the places i wanted it to
m3MiNr6.jpg

now if you are assuming that these struts actually work and i found some useful bug, ure wrong, they dont

Edited by Fullmetal Analyst

Yea struts are really buggy. You can’t have struts or fuel lines on merged craft or else you get the bug that you have in your screenshot. They all decide to attach to the first ‘root’ merged vessel. 

If you are implying that struts are not intended for larger craft due to the length limitations, there are solutions for that. You can build extensions using the girders or other building material so that you can connect pieces that are farther away via struts. This was the same in KSP 1. However as you suggest struts are very bugged and break your craft easily if you are not very careful when placing them.

Edited by twich22

Not sure about KSP2 but using struts to connect boosters together usually caused “bad things” to happen in KSP1. I generally just connect 1 or two struts from each booster onto the main core instead and that is usually much more stable. 

20 hours ago, twich22 said:

here are solutions for that. You can build extensions using the girders or other building material so that you can connect pieces that are farther away via struts.

that would add alot of unnecessary parts and weight though, and probably make the whole craft even more unstable

17 hours ago, Streetwind said:

the legendary Whackjob

excuse me?

16 hours ago, MechBFP said:

just connect 1 or two struts from each booster onto the main core

my problem with that is that it leaves behind ugly nubs after decoupling

14 hours ago, Alexoff said:

You don’t need to build big ships, you need to make planes and fly around the space center

based.

3 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

my problem with that is that it leaves behind ugly nubs after decoupling

I haven't checked that behavior in KSP 2, but try doing it in reverse. Strut "knobs" stay on the target element, so just hook them from main core to boosters

Ohhh - go do a search for threads started by Whackjob in the KSP1 forum, for a masterclass in utterly insane designs.

There are implausibly large rockets. There are rockets that are so large that Jeb would think twice about strapping himself to them…

Then there are Whackjob rockets. For when lift-off is too hard and it’s easier to just push that inconvenient planet out of the way.

Edited by KSK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.