Bought the game - Instant Regret - i hope this is a joke

Moons

So after all the negative threads and reviews i still thought - hey maybe its half bad ... - and wow do i regret that

Sorry i have played a lot of EA games in the past years but never in my life have i played a game at such a price that was broken to this extent - i dont understand why people dont complain way more about this - sorry but at 50 USD i would call this a joke ...

Even the most basic functions are buggy - how can anyone with any respect for his fans release a product like this for 50 USD? It would have been even bad for 30 USD since it seems to be so broken ...

Lets start my journey:

• wow another awful launcher - hopefully i can just skip that in the future ...
  • no UI scaling - nice looks awful at 4k - way too big and i dislike the design in general

But okay thats EA so i continued:

• performance was awful - and i actually have a rather high end PC

So okay thats EA that is to be expected:

• Moving on - lets build a rocket and launch it - okay after huge FPS drops and graphical glitches - to be expeted in a EA - but not in a 50 USD EA i make it to space BUT
  • Rocket in space suddenly seems to have lost any means of changing directions and stabilize - for some reason that automatic thing seems to work to some extent and can turn the rocket while i hardly can do anything

Okay - lets just Revert to Launch or Vehicle Assembly - oh wait those Buttons do nothing - great

• Some time later i realize that even staging doesnt seem to work a lot of times so i actually have to do some staging manually with my mouse

So i think - hey maybe after i crash i can revert

• Guess what - no i cant - its still broken both options - and yes i have them enabled in settings etc

So i just build another rocket - want to test and change something directly after launch - GUESS WHAT

• now the launch Button stopped working ...

Im really sorry but EA is no excuse for such an utterly broken Alpha - especially at 50 USD - i feel like beeing taken advantage of as a fan of the series. Most of those bugs dont seem to be isolated and should have been pretty obvious to the DEVs and Publishers - releasing this game in a state like this at 50 USD is beyond offensive to the fans of this game.

Im sorry ive seen a lot of awful EA launches and absurd EA prices - but this game beats them all.

Edited by Moons

5 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The refund button is right there.

To be honest i think there should even be a buy button - this game in my opinion should be taken off of steam in this state at this price.

Never in my life have i played an EA game as bad and as expensive as this. Seriously - what were they thinking when they decided to release the game in this state at this price? It was 100% certain that this would flop and get lots of negative press and reviews in this state for 50 USD.

Edited by Moons

1 minute ago, Moons said:

To be honest i think there should even be a buy button - this game in my opinion should be taken off of steam in this state at this price.

And Squad should have lost custody of KSP 1 years ago, but hey, what can you do?

2 hours ago, Moons said:

Well others including myself are enjoying it enjoying it so...

[snip]

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

4 minutes ago, Periple said:

Oh such a shame! And I know how hyped you were about it :joy:

I wasnt hyped - i was rather engative but still wanted to try it since im a fan of KSP ... - maybe i was still hyped a bit ...

Edited by Moons

3 minutes ago, Moons said:

I wasnt hyped - i was rather engative but still wanted to try it since im a fan of KSP ... - maybe i was still hyped a bit ...

Well I hope it won't be too long before it's up to your standards! Do refund until then, there's really no point getting all upset about the bugs – you can always play KSP1 in the meantime!

28 minutes ago, Moons said:

sorry but at 50 USD i would call this a joke ...

Well, as has been mentioned, the Refund button is right there.  Whether or not you think the game should even be available is irrelevant; if it is this bad for you, just get a refund and move on.

28 minutes ago, Moons said:

wow another awful launcher - hopefully i can just skip that in the future

You can always just use the game executable.  Or use the available mod.

29 minutes ago, Moons said:

no UI scaling - nice looks awful at 4k - way too big and i dislike the design in general

There's a mod for this.

performance was awful - and i actually have a rather high end PC

What settings did you use?

Rocket in space suddenly seems to have lost any means of changing directions and stabilize - for some reason that automatic thing seems to work to some extent and can turn the rocket while i hardly can do anything

Yeah, this is a bug that has been reported several times over.  It could also be the design of your craft; what worked in KSP1 may not work here.

Also...RCS.  Did you have any on the craft?

Some time later i realize that even staging doesnt seem to work a lot of times so i actually have to do some staging manually with my mouse

Another bug that has been reported several times over.

30 minutes ago, Moons said:

Im really sorry but EA is no excuse for such an utterly broken Alpha - especially at 50 USD - i feel like beeing taken advantage of as a fan of the series. Most of those bugs dont seem to be isolated and should have been pretty obvious to the DEVs and Publishers - releasing this game in a state like this at 50 USD is beyond offensive to the fans of this game.

You do realize that you will get access to all patches and forthcoming features, right?  Every fix, all the stuff on the roadmap, anything else they want to throw in up to 1.0...you get for no additional cost.

6 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

You do realize that you will get access to all patches and forthcoming features, right?  Every fix, all the stuff on the roadmap, anything else they want to throw in up to 1.0...you get for no additional cost.

Really? I thought we'll have to throw additional 10~20 bucks once v1 comes out to match the games full price...

Maybe you should put the game away for a while, many have done so looking at the concurrent players on Steam.

The state KSP2 is in now is no more than a timesample, and it won't stay like it is now forever. There will even be a time coming that 50 dollars for EA access for KSP2 is going to be a steal, where that tipping point will be is personal.

1 minute ago, cocoscacao said:

Really? I thought we'll have to throw additional 10~20 bucks once v1 comes out to match the games full price...

I dont know what will happen once the game gets to 1.0, but until then you will get all patches, fixes, and roadmap features.

[snip]

1 hour ago, cocoscacao said:

no, you get the full game, no additional charge

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

44 minutes ago, Moons said:

no UI scaling - nice looks awful at 4k - way too big and i dislike the design in general

Heh - you think it looks bad at 4k, try it at 1440p.   They used integer scaling for many portions of the interface, which does *not* work with a pixel-art style lol.

The "all in the corner" instruments were a poor decision as well, IMO - takes visual focus away from the ship/environment, and makes the whole game feel like an IFR rather than VFR experience, which really diminishes the wonder at breaking through the clouds on launch, or descending onto a new celestial body for the first time.  Hopefully there are a lot of new options planned for the interface (I know some prefer the IFR experience - need options not forced changes).

50 minutes ago, Moons said:

Im sorry ive seen a lot of awful EA launches and absurd EA prices - but this game beats them all.

OK, it's hard to deny it's in a very rough state - maybe the worst EA I've seen yet on Steam.  There's a significant patch planned for Thursday, so hopefully some of the worst problems you've encountered are addressed in that patch.

So, yeah, certainly not for everyone, but there's still a lot of optimism for the path forward.

1 hour ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

no, you get the full game, no additional charge

Ooh, I am the privileged one. [snip]

PS

What the heck is in your avatar gif? A frog in zero g?

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

Just now, Chilkoot said:

The "all in the corner" instruments were a poor decision as well, IMO - takes visual focus away from the ship/environment, and makes the whole game feel like an IFR rather than VFR experience, which really diminishes the wonder at breaking through the clouds on launch, or descending onto a new celestial body for the first time. 

The entire point of this change is so that the navball and altimeters aren't hogging space that could otherwise be used showing your rocket, something I think the UI does excellently, as well as keeping the altitude within a reasonable distance of other critical readouts.

[snip]

1 hour ago, cocoscacao said:

What the heck is in your avatar gif? A frog in zero g?

Yes, from here:

Spoiler

Its meant to mimic an earlier banner that came out with a kerbal tumbling through space

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator

5 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

The "all in the corner" instruments were a poor decision as well, IMO - takes visual focus away from the ship/environment, and makes the whole game feel like an IFR rather than VFR experience, which really diminishes the wonder at breaking through the clouds on launch, or descending onto a new celestial body for the first time.  Hopefully there are a lot of new options planned for the interface (I know some prefer the IFR experience - need options not forced changes).

I think the big problem with the navball front and center is that it gets in the way when landing. You have to move the camera way up to see where you're going to touch down. Most of the time your craft will be oriented up/down or left/right on the screen, so it makes sense to use the corners for UI elements. 

I'm all for the option of rearranging them though! It shouldn't be hard and it would let everybody put them where they want them!

Edited by Periple

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

The entire point of this change is so that the navball and altimeters aren't hogging space that could otherwise be used showing your rocket, something I think the UI does excellently, as well as keeping the altitude within a reasonable distance of other critical readouts.

I def. get the intent, but I find it's like that minimap in the top corner of an ARPG - you spend all your time staring at the minimap and not the game screen.  I notice this happening quite a bit with the new UI.  Best possible case is moveable elements and a moddable UI so people can (eventually) play the way they want.

1 minute ago, Chilkoot said:
4 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I def. get the intent, but I find it's like that minimap in the top corner of an ARPG - you spend all your time staring at the minimap and not the game screen.

I'd say that's more a testament to the benefits of this UI than anything else. In KSP 1 your eyes had to glaze over your ship to reach the altimeter from the velocity and navball, and vice versa. Inefficient. Don't have to do that in KSP 2 unless you specifically want to look at your ship, in which case your eyes are only under your own control.

Just now, Periple said:

I think the big problem with the navball front and center is that it makes it gets in the way when landing.

For sure.  In KSP 1 the option to move the navball to the edges was a huge boon as it occluded critical info, like you're saying.  I don't like the navball in the centre, but I do (personally) prefer the great big, clear altimeter and atmospheric density gauges in a more "heads-up" position esp. for launches and landings.

2 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

For sure.  In KSP 1 the option to move the navball to the edges was a huge boon as it occluded critical info, like you're saying.  I don't like the navball in the centre, but I do (personally) prefer the great big, clear altimeter and atmospheric density gauges in a more "heads-up" position esp. for launches and landings.

Alright, but you have to admit doing IFR in KSP 1 sucked specifically cause of that. You can't absorb alt and velocity/navball readings at the same time, you have to play a game of pingpong with your eyes. VFR isn't the only way to play, and even then having concise instrument readings matter a great deal when landing, regardless if you're using instruments alone or using visuals.

Edited by Bej Kerman

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

you have to admit doing IFR in KSP 1 sucked specifically cause of that.

Fair point.  IFR eyeball bounce was a problem with the KSP 1 instrument readout - no argument there.