Homeschoolers work too, god dammit!

LHACK4142

I hate it when people ask me what school I go to, because I have to admit that I'm homeschooled, which always leads to the same tiring and very annoying comments. Some of these questions that I get asked every few days include "So your parents teach you?" (no, I read from textbooks mostly) and "Are there any tests?" (kind of). These ones, however, aren't nearly so bad as one particular comment which always gets my blood boiling: "sO eVeRy DaY iS sUmMeR bReAk??"

N O.

N O.

Every day is NOT FREAKING SUMMER BREAK. I hate that people think that I spend my entire life doing nothing and playing video games and stuff while I in fact work my ass off every day. I don't want people to think that I'm "so lucky", have it easy and never study. I don't want people to think that I'm some hippie that's scared of chemicals and is overreliant on his parents. I don't want people to think that I'm some idiot that doesn't know anything and has all the time I could ask for. I wish people knew that I probably do just as much work as them, and I wish that people would treat me and think of me the same as anyone else. Most of them probably do eventually, but that summer break question makes me feel like they initially don't.

If you ever meet a homeschooler, just don't ask them about it. Homeschooled kids have heard this same crap too many times.

Edited by LHACK4142

6 hours ago, LHACK4142 said:

"sO eVeRy DaY iS sUmMeR bReAk??"

Tell you what, this means to these people the main content of school is physically going to one, not actual studies.

On 3/13/2023 at 12:45 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

After Covid I couldn't imagine being homeschooled/homeschooling.  Need a break from those people at times. 

And yes I'm talking about my kids.  

My daughter recently had a cold, and I had the opportunity to spend about ten days one-on-one with her. We watched video lessons, did homework... I've never been happier to go to the office after that kind of homeschooling. The older kids are more independent and know how to use all the open sources to do their homework. They know where to find a book, who to ask for advice, or can use https://edubirdie.com/write-my-essay-for-me for professional writing services. This is just my experience, and it has more to do with the incompatibility of my job and babysitting young children.

Edited by VickTC

On 3/13/2023 at 3:45 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

After Covid I couldn't imagine being homeschooled/homeschooling.  Need a break from those people at times. 

And yes I'm talking about my kids.  

2 hours ago, VickTC said:

My daughter recently caught a cold and I had a chance to spend about ten days with her one to one. We watched video lessons, did our homework... After such homeschooling, I've never been so happy to go to the office

Funny. I started working from home back in March of 2020, been home with my homeschooled kids almost full time since then, especially since I became the stay-at-home dad six months ago. After three years at home with them almost continually, I can honestly say that, after my wife, I can't think of three people I would rather spend time with than them.

17 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I can't think of three people I would rather spend time with than them

I'm with you.

I just need a break (and so do they) from time to time.

Fact is - my kids got back to school quite early and it was really good for them.  

One of my distinct memories (though still somewhat vague) is visiting a neighbour who had been home raising her child for a while.  I got the distinct impression she was very starved for intelligent conversation.  That was before the Internet had become a general tool for the whole populace.  The benefit just to stay-at-home parents of online conversations must be immense.

funny i got through high school without turning in a single page of homework.

the only valuable thing i learned in school is not to let other people waste my time.

Edited by Nuke

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily, homeschooling is illegal where I live or else many people would use it to turn their kids to ignorant spewers of cult propaganda, just like it happens a lot in places where it's allowed.

Children's education should be left to professionals. Besides, going to school is not just about learning facts. There are many social functions it offers.

8 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Luckily, homeschooling is illegal where I live or else many people would use it to turn their kids to ignorant spewers of cult propaganda, just like it happens a lot in places where it's allowed.

Children's education should be left to professionals. Besides, going to school is not just about learning facts. There are many social functions it offers.

some would argue that is no different different from public schools. plenty of ignorant cultlike propaganda there, and where free thinkers are some sort of underclass. fall into lockstep or be shunned. march or die, to use a motorheadism. what passes for professional teachers is also somewhat questionable. professionals are not immune to cultlike behavior. 

also the playground is a better training for the real world than the classroom. any idiot can learn to multiply, but it takes skill to organize a revenge prank on a school bully.

i was always an autodidact so i found any organized education more of a hinderance and waste of time, even when i had good teachers. hours spent filling out math worksheets or memorizing useless information could have been put to more industrious activities. when there was a book report, id just write up something on a book i had previously read (or seen the movie). by highschool i was actively gaming the system so that i could get a passing grade with the least amount of work. id intentionally fail tests and then take extra credit in the form of helping them clean out their closets. closets full of old computer parts. lots of apple2s, old ibm pcs, some really ancient stuff. made several working machines out of what was essentially junk. thats where i liberated my ti99 which i used to learn basic. so when i showed aptitude for computer science i ended up in a class where i could do that for 3 hours a day. and i had c/c++ down at age 15. then i had electronics classes, so i left highschool with a strong tech background, in an era before stem. 

Edited by Nuke

On 3/12/2023 at 7:10 PM, LHACK4142 said:

"sO eVeRy DaY iS sUmMeR bReAk??"

N O.

N O.

I think I sort of know how you feel. It makes me crazy when I tell someone what I do and their first response is: "So you sit at home and play computer games all day?"

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!        

Edited by Just Jim

Every 30 years schools change their non-propaganda into opposite non-propaganda.

Imagine the modern agenda in a school of 1980s, or agenda of 1950s in the same school of 1980s.

All three schools (of 1950s, 1980s, 2020s) were sure they know best what the kids must be thinking.

54 minutes ago, razark said:

Right, so what's your point?

What time period should we freeze education at and stop taking new information into account?

1. Periodic exams. Who can't pass on his own, should be forced to study in school to assist him.

2. Propaganda doesn't depend on school vs home. Both can propagate something totally wrong or widely considered wrong to that moment and right a decade later.
The medium decides, the communities forming this medium, the socia conditions, other factors.

7 hours ago, razark said:

Right, so what's your point?

What time period should we freeze education at and stop taking new information into account?

:rolleyes:

teach 'em how to learn and get out of their way. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.