Rover wheels need more torque

I managed to drive 35km on Kerbin last night and aside from the terrain randomly throwing me up in to the air (which can be engineered around) the biggest problem is that rover wheels are completely unsuitable for climbing any grade over about 5 degrees. All of the wheels need more torque for hill climbing.

I'm not sure if that is a good idea. This is pretty realistic behavior, and I have a hunch that it will be connected with colony gameplay. Nate talked about creating rover routes, transporting resources from extraction point to landing sites. This adds additional challenge on where to build stuff in the first place. All of this is pure guessing of course. Worst case scenario, they just increment torque property in a config file.

Edited by cocoscacao

A vehicle that can't pull its own weight on a small incline is a failed vehicle. They definitely need a buff.

Not to mention that max speed in part description has nothing to do with actual speed, which is just ridiculously low.

I've noticed when I'm driving that the motors in the wheels never actually even read as being active when moving... Like the vehicle is moving forward, but it's not really actually using the strength of whatever the wheels could do?

I just hope the wheels are gonna get a thorough re-work at some point 

Let's be real about this aspect. Wheels are completely broken now. And I don't understand why Nate was saying they had fun building racing cars. Maybe they were using a future improvement.

Having attempted an Elcano Minmus yesterday (also tested rover on Kerbin), I definitely think wheels need some attention. I remember doing a Minmus Elcano in KSP1 (similar design powered by 20 ruggedized rover wheels) and not finding it as "floaty". I tested the KSP2 rover of a very similar design on Kerbin with the ruggedized rover wheels and it wouldn't even move. Even with the larger ones it barely got up some pretty modest hills on Kerbin, so torque could definitely be tweaked. You still have to design around the limitations of low gravity with downforce engines etc so in my opinion the compromise to realism in the interest of playability would be wholly justified.

Edit - Top speed is also way too low.  Let me decide how fast to impact terrain!

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

7 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

I'm not sure if that is a good idea. This is pretty realistic behavior, and I have a hunch that it will be connected with colony gameplay. Nate talked about creating rover routes, transporting resources from extraction point to landing sites. This adds additional challenge on where to build stuff in the first place. All of this is pure guessing of course. Worst case scenario, they just increment torque property in a config file.

How are you gonna make a rover route in a loaded rover if it can't climb a small incline? I'm having a hard enough time doing 5 degrees in a simple ATV which should have no problems with torque from electric wheels, imagine a big cargo rig trying to navigate a 1 degree slope...

I tried to make a (can't be more) simple rover with the "old" fast wheels". I couldn't go faster than 9m/s on the runway, even though, the wheels a rated for 59m/s max speed.

I replaced the fast wheels by the new wheels, and manage to get to 39m/s veeeerrrrrrryyyy slowly.

Previously, I tried to redo a KSP 1 rover of mine with 2 structural sections, a probe core dans some wheels. It never managed to move an inch, except for gravity moving the rover on it's own.

The reaction wheels works well, though. So It think to buid a rover, we should set wheels around a reaction wheel and roll the whole rover :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.