Kerbal Idle Animations - Thoughts? Suggestions? Discussion.

LameLefty

So … let’s talk about this. 

Last nigh I landed a crew of four on Minmus as a basic functionality test of a new lander design. I got all four crew out and lined them up next to the flagpole (which rendered as the default KSP flag not my specific selection when starting the campaign, but I digress …)

As I watched, they cycled between excitedly dancing in place, yawning, adjusting their helmets, but also scratching their rear ends and quite obviously either farting or peeing, presumably into their suit catheters.

While the idea of idle animations as such is fine, I don’t really care awful much for some of the more infantilizing/middle school humor animations like butt scratching and farting. I miss the occasional “terrified Kerbal” trait - we should have animations of them looking around nervously or tentatively, staring up at nebula filled sky with dismay or even fright. We should have some more curiosity-themed animations too - looking down at the soil, pulling out a little widget and “scanning” the ground or the atmosphere with it, etc.

In short, I don’t want my Kerbal to be green Minions. I want them to be Kerbals, like they’ve always been. 

What do YOU think? 

22 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

looking around nervously or tentatively, staring up at nebula filled sky with dismay or even fright

I don't recall any of them being nervous when on the ground. Maybe that could be added to less brave ones? Not scared, but not exactly comfy either... I agree with the butt scratching one. Keep 'em adorable, not childish. It doesn't match with what they're doing.

Edited by cocoscacao

idk, I don't want them to be Minions, either, but farting and peeing are things real astronauts do, and part of the appeal of kerbals is that they remind us that, while we might like to see ourselves as Serious and Important, we're all just dumb kids trying our best to find grandeur in the void

1 hour ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

idk, I don't want them to be Minions, either, but farting and peeing are things real astronauts do, and part of the appeal of kerbals is that they remind us that, while we might like to see ourselves as Serious and Important, we're all just dumb kids trying our best to find grandeur in the void

I'd say the issue is less that they happen at all, but more that they seem to feel like they are happening too often, presumably because while we may view it as one action, there are 2-3 animation variations for relieving oneself, whereas every other category of action seems to have pretty much just one animation set. 

3 hours ago, Geredis said:

I'd say the issue is less that they happen at all, but more that they seem to feel like they are happening too often, presumably because while we may view it as one action, there are 2-3 animation variations for relieving oneself, whereas every other category of action seems to have pretty much just one animation set. 

I think it's just the style of humor they're going for.  I find even just the descriptions offputting.   But Minions is a hot brand, and I'm sure that also influenced the thinking.  Between the tutorials, PAIGE, and the Kerbals, though, it's clearly trying to pivot toward a younger audience.

I wish there was a difference in the animations by skill. Stupid kerbals tend to do silly things like fart into their hands to smell them and intelligent kerbals scan the ground.

Brave kerbals pose with swollen chests, fearful ones show that they are uncomfortable.

Or then by classes. Scientists scan, engineers build sandcastles, pilots yawn, 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.