The Paint Appreciation Thread

Klapaucius

I'd just like to thank whoever had the idea and implemeted the ability to customize the colours on parts.  I honestly did not get very excited when I first heard about it, but I have come to absolutely love this feature.  It is particularly noticeable how much better replicas look by simply having a good consistent colour.  I was just looking at @Kye0ng's replica thread, and the black just makes that SR-71 (and the fact it is a great build all around).

So, with that in mind, post images of creations in which the colour not just augments, but is a key component of the creation.  Or just jump on the positivity train (which this thread aims to be).

Edited by Klapaucius

The idea to add transparency (bare metal) was also cool. It would be fun if the paint weight is considered, so if you want a pretty rocket, you'll have to sacrifice dV/TWR. But this is such a minor nag. The feature is awesome.

2 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

The idea to add transparency (bare metal) was also cool. It would be fun if the paint weight is considered, so if you want a pretty rocket, you'll have to sacrifice dV/TWR. But this is such a minor nag. The feature is awesome.

Maybe a modder will add that.  Or make paint affect heating from insolation.  Doesn't seem like something that should be part of stock, but fun idea.

I typically stick with more conventional paint colors. Like an orange core stage with the rest being white, or a starship style bare metal scheme. On one of my rockets, I did draw inspiration from the Delta II's paint. I like it, if nothing else to make my rockets look even more realistic to IRL ones.

color manager is pretty nice, although the textures and lighting dont really play along

i managed to create some nice copper/brass look, but in some areas, and in brightly lit conditions, it fails

Spoiler

ul77xib.jpg

sztvrNI.png

but yeah all in all its pretty decent as long as u dont try to use the metallic effect with colors
i often use it for highlighting parts like docking ports or decouplers, crewed parts, or detachable boosters

Spoiler

TGitJym.png

also, some stuff already mentioned here

Edited by Fullmetal Analyst

We need music appreciation thread also. I get heebie-jeebies whenever I enter Mun's SOI from that eerie, calm, desert style tone. Then you get close and drums start banging... Same for Minmus, and the sheer epic-ness of Duna tune.

Edited by cocoscacao

2 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

We need music appreciation thread also. I get heebie-jeebies whenever I enter Mun's SOI from that eerie, calm, desert style tone. Then you get close and drums start banging... Same for Minmus, and the sheer epic-ness of Duna tune.

i kinda dislike the new music, ksp1 music was a way better fit for the ksp universe imo

On 3/16/2023 at 7:01 AM, cocoscacao said:

Why don't you start one?  Or contribute to this thread, which is basically that:  

I really should experiment with the paint tool more, but every time I try I just go back to the bare metal look. I really like some of the color schemes I've seen other people use, and you can get really creative with it once you start messing with individual part colors.

Has anyone experimented with the transparency slider? I haven't really been able to get anything that looks good with it so I've just stuck with using it at 0 or 100.

1 hour ago, i dont know how to forum said:

Has anyone experimented with the transparency slider?

Yes, but I think it's bugged. I set transparency to 0 and my rocket is still visible :blink:.

If you need inspiration, just type color palettes in search engine. Also check out this mod.

On 3/15/2023 at 4:30 PM, Fullmetal Analyst said:

i kinda dislike the new music, ksp1 music was a way better fit for the ksp universe imo

bruh how. the ksp 1 music was literally royalty-free kevin macleod music. not to hate on kevin macleod, but that doesn't exactly seem to be the best soundtrack for a game with such high expectations. can you imagine entering the ksp 2 vab, excited to play the new game, and sneaky snitch starts playing, just like in ksp 1? it would totally throw off the mood.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.