How are you getting to Duna (or other places) when the planets don't move during warp?

I've just spent two hours trying to get a capture at Duna.  Every step of the way, I figured I had worked around the bugs.  I warped with the ship on the ground at KSC to get the proper alignment.  I burned while looking at the ship.  I watched the timer like a hawk.  Worked out a mid course correction that would get me into the Duna SOI.  Went to the PE of my intercept and set up the maneuver node for the capture.  Warped to just before the maneuver node...

...and Duna is waaaay out of position.

It stopped warping with my ship.

So - how are you guys getting ANYWHERE?

25 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I would be shocked to find that's what happens to everybody. Unless you're the very first person to go interplanetary and not just cheat your ship there.

If you can recreate it I'd submit a bug report.

I've got a bug report showing the planets do not move under warp in Tracking Station.  It's a video.  Here's the link  (Bug report just explains it)

Turned the game off.  Reloaded the save before I burned for the encounter.  DV timer shows I need 1000 DV to get to the intercept.  Except every time I either follow the timer or burn 1000 by watching - my orbital path end up being way past that of Duna.  

I'm guessing the save I'm running is borked somehow.  Might have to start a whole new campaign and try again.  I get the intercept to show up in the tracking station - shows a nice PE in Duna view; everything should work... then I start the burns and reloading save after save and I get nothing; the burn that should get me an intercept gets nothing and Duna doesn't move.

I'll make a video showing it tomorrow.  Burnt out now.  Getting depressed about the state of the game.  Don't really need that.

Maybe I'll just wait for the patch and see if that fixes stuff.

Well, the planets are moving under warp.  The issue or bug is that you are limited to warping based on the currently active ship.  Which sucks.

Workaround:  once you have a ship in orbit, go back to the KSC and put a ship on the launchpad and make that the ship you are controlling.  That should allow you to warp effectively.  I say should cuz, well, Early Access.

From that video it seems that you just can't warp fast enough. That was a problem in KSP1 as well. Go to the actual tracking station (I believe you can click on that thing you hovered over in KSP2, but in KSP1 you'd go back to KSC and then click the tracking station, or hit ESC and choose the tracking station in the menu) and then you can time warp faster.

This is not a bug, but I find the time warp limits to be extremely frustrating in KSP1, so much that I broke down and wrote a mod for it (and I suck at modding). I thought KSP2 had removed those limits but I guess not.

Edited by Superfluous J

I'll check this out later.  I'm not certain that the planets are moving after three attempts at the same Intercept where my ship moved but Duna wasn't anywhere near the Intercept. 

I'm gonna have to put my "tester" hat on - not my "gamer hoping to see new content" hat - like I had on last night. 

You guys might be absolutely correct.  Interplanetary travel isn't my strong suit. 

Kerbin - Duna is Mun - Minmus but on a larger scale.

But yeah on x100 warp you're not going to see much movement.

Also, I noticed that sometimes the predicted path bugs out, but in general it should work if you burn in the right place along the orbit, despite what the planned maneuver says. As in, on the dark side of Kerbin for outer planets. And also transfer windows are kinda here

t8xb1h1bov1x.png?auto=webp&s=e3c18e8a607

As noted above by others, the planets DO move in time warp but the current Tracking Station bug limits time warp available. I’ve done successful trips to Duna, Eve, Jool (several times) and Dres so far. The workaround of putting a dummy vessel onto a runway or a second launch pad, then going to the Tracking Station will allow you to warp faster as needed to get a launch window.

However, there is a second bug potentially at play currently - right now, your plotted trajectory out of an SOI may be substantially different once your active vessel actually leaves that SOI. Last night I had a nice, near-optimal dV trajectory plotted back to Kerbin from Jool. As soon as my craft left the Jool SOI - making no maneuvers or even any attitude changes - the actual trajectory was wildly different. It required over 1,000 m/s in additional dV to achieve a poor intercept, which itself was so marginal I had to burn an additional 2K m/s to get a landing once back in the Kerbin SOI.

Edited by LameLefty

10 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

However, there is a second bug potentially at play currently - right now, your plotted trajectory out of an SOI may be substantially different once your active vessel actually leaves that SOI. Last night I had a nice, near-optimal dV trajectory plotted back to Kerbin from Jool. As soon as my craft left the Jool SOI - making no maneuvers or even any attitude changes - the actual trajectory was wildly different. It required over 1,000 m/s in additional dV to achieve a poor intercept, which itself was so marginal I had to burn an additional 2K m/s to get a landing once back in the Kerbin SOI.

I see this all the time while trying to get to Duna.  I'm trying to do the Duna Mastery challenge, and every time I've plotted a course it changes dramatically once I leave Kerbin's SOI, forcing me into a whole bunch of mid-course burns.

4 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I see this all the time while trying to get to Duna.  I'm trying to do the Duna Mastery challenge, and every time I've plotted a course it changes dramatically once I leave Kerbin's SOI, forcing me into a whole bunch of mid-course burns.

I encountered this last night plotting a return from Minmus. I was puzzled because when I started planning the maneuver, my gut told me I was going to burning prograde in the completely wrong spot on my Minmus orbit. But the maneuver node told me everything was good. Well I should have trusted my gut; as soon as I exited Minmus SOI, I was due to eject into solar orbit.

8 hours ago, LameLefty said:

As noted above by others, the planets DO move in time warp but the current Tracking Station bug limits time warp available. I’ve done successful trips to Duna, Eve, Jool (several times) and Dres so far. The workaround of putting a dummy vessel onto a runway or a second launch pad, then going to the Tracking Station will allow you to warp faster as needed to get a launch window.

This may have been what happened to me - it sounds like what I experienced.  I need to dig up the LKO - Duna DV chart again to compare what the game is telling me vs what it should be.  My burns are all way more than necessary - with the intercept plotting prior to the burn, but no intercept after.

Thanks guys!

13 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

This may have been what happened to me - it sounds like what I experienced.  I need to dig up the LKO - Duna DV chart again to compare what the game is telling me vs what it should be.  My burns are all way more than necessary - with the intercept plotting prior to the burn, but no intercept after.

Thanks guys!

This is the "canonical" web-based dV calculator you're likely already familiar with, especially if played KSP1 for a good while without using MechJeb.

https://ksp.olex.biz/

That give us about 1,043 m/s for the optimal Hohmann transfer burn. 

11 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I always preferred this one:
http://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/

Happy landings!

Yeah, I like the porkchop plots of the dV required, but since we're currently constrained to plot and actually fly our departure burns manually like ham-fisted maroons rather than the sleek, green, highly-advanced civilized space pilots we'd like to pretend to be, the basic plot in Olex's site works well. Or at least, it WOULD work well if the bug affecting trajectory plots that leave the current SOI gets fixed (hoping for tomorrow on that one).

I note too that the site you link directly credits Olex's site as his inspiration. 

I liked the @TriggerAu's TWP but I guess that's not coming to the 2 anytime soon (be it as a mod or stock tool).

Now until the trajectory bug is fixed, I recommend avoiding trusting the projected path, and focusing more on setting up the maneuver in correct place on the orbit. That way even if you miss a bit (which you'll know only when you leave the planet's SOI) your mid course correction later on will be cheaper than from a completely messed up trajectory.