Patch 1: don't expect miracles

The Aziz

4 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

Better yet, change this setting to "Lowest", and be pleasantly surprised!

That didn't work for the EA release, hopefully it works for the patch. 

I don't expect miracles - I don't even expect standard EA dev progress where small content and QOL fixes happen relatively rapidly alongside fixes. I expect them to function on Intercept time, a sort of reverse-timewarp that the diehard fans seem to accept.

Edited by RocketRockington

I think anyone who was able to do an EVE mission on the release-day KSP2 pre-patch version should get a complimentary doctorate in Kerbal Kraken Studies. Or at least a lollipop

I'm saving a copy of this version of the game to, hopefully, look back on when 1.0 gets here

39 minutes ago, Dantheollie said:

I think anyone who was able to do an EVE mission on the release-day KSP2 pre-patch version should get a complimentary doctorate in Kerbal Kraken Studies. Or at least a lollipop

I've driven some 200km on Kerbin using the same rover, surely that counts for something...

50 minutes ago, Dantheollie said:

JQ4FBCV.jpg

Give lollipop now.

I'm not expecting miracles. I'm not even expecting new features.
All I want is a game that doesn't do things that drive me to stop playing it.

Right now:
Game has a bug where sometimes it will suck all the fuel out of your upper stage for who knows what reason. Makes me not want to play.
Game has a bug where if you use ANY engine plates, but especially the 5m ones, your rocket turns into a noodle. Makes me not want to play.
Game has a bug where instead of a decoupler detaching the spent stage behind your engine, it'll detach the engine you connected it to from the rest of your rocket (unhelpfully including the spent stage, which remains firmly connected). Makes me not want to play.
Game has a bug where if you use any form of landing gear on your craft, and deploy it, your trajectory goes from a nice circular orbit to... well not that. Usually suborbital. Makes me not want to play.
I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say. I could probably use up the rest of the character count describing bugs I've encountered that make me not want to play.

All I want is for things to work as I expect them to work. Even if that's different from how they work in KSP 1.
I want decouplers to decouple the thing they're supposed to decouple.
I want fuel flow to go where it's supposed to go.
I want engine plates to be some of the strongest parts you can make a rocket out of, not some of the weakest.
I want landing gear that don't act like a single-physics-tick kraken drive (even if that means they act like a regular kraken drive). We were supposed to SLAY the Kraken, not LAY the kraken.

6 minutes ago, SciMan said:

Game has a bug where sometimes it will suck all the fuel out of your upper stage for who knows what reason. Makes me not want to play.

I want fuel flow to go where it's supposed to go.

Don't forget that asparagus staging doesn't work yet either, with the tanks draining in whatever random way they want to regardless of the direction or placement of fuel lines.  Makes interplanetary hops a bit...troublesome.

1 minute ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Don't forget that asparagus staging doesn't work yet either, with the tanks draining in whatever random way they want to regardless of the direction or placement of fuel lines.  Makes interplanetary hops a bit...troublesome.

I'm not so bothered by that bug once I'm in space, I can always use the resource manager to transfer fuel where I want if I have the time. It is really annoying on launch though when I really want to drop stages immediately! I hope it's fixed in tomorrow's patch, Nate did say that they've worked on the resource flow system!

What I expect from the patch:

~25% of the bugs people actually care about will be addressed.  Mostly the easiest ones to fix.

~10-15% of performance issues addressed, but no significant change in flight performance.

No feature additions of any note.

A list of 100+ minor issues that almost no one cares about addressed, itemized in excruciating detail to make the patch look like a bigger deal than it is.

KSP2 hopefuls pointing to this as signs of amazing progress and heaping praise on Intercept for being 10-20% of the way to what an extremely bare bones EA launch looks like.

Edited by RocketRockington

18 minutes ago, RocketRockington said:

KSP2 hopefuls pointing to this as signs of amazing progress and heaping praise on Intercept for being 10-20% of the way to what an extremely bare bones EA launch looks like.

Don't tire yourself out too much. Leave some tribalism for the rest of us, mate     :confused:

34 minutes ago, Periple said:

It is really annoying on launch though when I really want to drop stages immediately!

This is what is currently keeping me in Kerbin's SOI.  I want the outer tanks to drain first, not simultaneously with the inner tanks.

2 hours ago, Dantheollie said:

I'm saving a copy of this version of the game to, hopefully, look back on when 1.0 gets here

One way counts or does it have to be two way? Because one way is like the second easiest thing now after conquering the Kerbin system.

1 hour ago, SciMan said:

As far as I remember, landing legs cause it. Don't ask me why, I don't have the imagination for a witty answer.

31 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

This is what is currently keeping me in Kerbin's SOI.  I want the outer tanks to drain first, not simultaneously with the inner tanks.

Go with a nuclear transfer stage. Your methalox boosters can't draw the LH2 even if they wanted to. :)

Just now, LameLefty said:

Go with a nuclear transfer stage. Your methalox boosters can't draw the LH2 even if they wanted to. :)

Was just typing out the same.  Also, use solid fuel boosters in conjunction with a single methalox central booster stage to get to orbit.  After you dump the solids, you'll still have tons left in your primary liquid booster to establish orbit and even set your intercept with Jool or Duna or w/e.

2 hours ago, Dantheollie said:

think anyone who was able to do an EVE mission on the release-day KSP2 pre-patch version should get a complimentary doctorate in Kerbal Kraken Studies. Or at least a lollipop

I put dead-simple probe into orbit around Eve 10 days ago, then just for kicks (and since there's no reentry heating) tried to land it. 

zxeSgfF.png

Of course, without parachutes, landing legs or anything close to sufficient T/W ratio, it didn't end well. But an amusing assortment of debris survived the terminal velocity of about 30-odd m/s. 

Zek6KQW.jpg

I like the butterscotch flavored Dum Dums. ;) 

16 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

One way counts or does it have to be two way? Because one way is like the second easiest thing now after conquering the Kerbin system.

I would say a two-way crewed landing, but since I don't wish for you to go insane, it can be whatever you want!

3 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

Give lollipop now.

2 hours ago, LameLefty said:

I like the butterscotch flavored Dum Dums. ;) 

Sorry mates, I'm all out of lollipops. But I gotcha' these cool patches! 
(Can also be used as emergency toilet paper for long stellar journeys... or so I've heard  :))

FV0YW1n.png15cN9VI.png

I do hope that the list of fixes includes addressing the most annoying bugs. I'm intensely curious to see how they've prioritized their work, and what's included is really just an output of that prioritization. All we'll know for sure when we see it is that everything that makes it into this patch was prioritized, but that is likely a subset as some problems, prioritized or not, take more effort.

Hope is foolish, I know - but, yeah. I'm hopeful.

• It would be great if switching between map and flight didn't break the maneuver plan
  • It would be really nice if we didn't need to put lander legs on radial decouplers
  • Speaking of decouplers, it would also be great if decouplers could be in the same stage with the next engine instead of off alone
  • It would be awesome if part drag wasn't so completely broken, but now I'm probably being overly optimistic

I'm not a space plane pilot, but I hope those guys get some serous love, cause if they do I think it's gonna spill over and help rockets fly better too!

6 hours ago, Dantheollie said:

SAME!!

1 hour ago, Dantheollie said:

Sorry mates, I'm all out of lollipops. But I gotcha' these cool patches! 
(Can also be used as emergency toilet paper for long stellar journeys... or so I've heard  :))

FV0YW1n.png15cN9VI.png

I'm gonna go n hafta try'n earn this now just to put it in my sig, lol.

35 minutes ago, schlosrat said:

I do hope that the list of fixes includes addressing the most annoying bugs. I'm intensely curious to see how they've prioritized their work, and what's included is really just an output of that prioritization. All we'll know for sure when we see it is that everything that makes it into this patch was prioritized, but that is likely a subset as some problems, prioritized or not, take more effort.

Hope is foolish, I know - but, yeah. I'm hopeful.

• It would be great if switching between map and flight didn't break the maneuver plan
  • It would be really nice if we didn't need to put lander legs on radial decouplers
  • Speaking of decouplers, it would also be great if decouplers could be in the same stage with the next engine instead of off alone
  • It would be awesome if part drag wasn't so completely broken, but now I'm probably being overly optimistic

I'm not a space plane pilot, but I hope those guys get some serous love, cause if they do I think it's gonna spill over and help rockets fly better too!

Speaking of maneuvers, what I'd like to see but won't make it into a patch for some time:

• Being able to plot maneuvers while paused
  • Seeing dV remaining in a maneuver instead of just a draining line
  • How long a burn will take BEFORE you fire the engines
  • Being able to see orbit lines in a body's SOI BEFORE entering said SOI
Edited by Scarecrow71

5 hours ago, RocketRockington said:

What I expect from the patch:

~25% of the bugs people actually care about will be addressed.  Mostly the easiest ones to fix.

~10-15% of performance issues addressed, but no significant change in flight performance.

No feature additions of any note.

A list of 100+ minor issues that almost no one cares about addressed, itemized in excruciating detail to make the patch look like a bigger deal than it is.

Well, this is every game dev patch, isn't it?:D

5 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Being able to see orbit lines in a body's SOI BEFORE entering said SOI

From some of the videos I’ve seen from Matt Lowne and Scott Manley, I *think* it’s a bug currently that we can’t, and it was a regression from something else that got changed right before the ESA demonstration play sessions. I really hope it’s fixed tomorrow. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.