Dear KSP 2 Developers (including Creative Director @Nate Simpson),

I have a feature suggestion. You should add a craft file converter to the game, so players who created vehicles in KSP 1 would be able to use them in Kerbal Space Program 2. I have previously suggested this feature as a mod for the game, but now I think it might work better if it was a standalone feature included in stock KSP 2. As for how you could implement it, I gave an idea in this post along with some UI concept art: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/214938-idea-ksp-1-craft-file-converter/#comment-4259514. A feature like this would be useful for players coming from KSP 1 who want to use vehicles that they spent a lot of time making or have a high part count in the original game and don't want to waste time trying to recreate the vehicle part for part in KSP 2. From my many hours of experience in KSP 1 (over 600!), I know how tedious it can sometimes be to create a vehicle that works and functions the way that you want it to, so having something like this in the game would be very much appreciated...

f.png

Thanks,

@Johnster_Space_Program

That's not going to work without adding all of the KSP1 parts to KSP2. Some of the KSP2 parts are really similar to their KSP1 counterparts, but if any are identical it's by chance, and some things work totally differently -- notably wings. Also lots of parts simply aren't there and I don't know if they have plans to ever add them. There are changes to the aerodynamics and structural rigidity and strength too, so even if you were able to convert a craft, it might not even work!

I think it might be feasible as a mod where somebody did port all the KSP1 stuff over, but not very likely for stock!

Edited by Periple

Well, the idea was worth a shot, but I guess I'll just have to recreate my KSP 1 rockets in KSP 2 for now as it probably would not end up working without a lot of changes being done to the parts system in the game...

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.