KSP2 Release Notes - Update v0.1.1.0

Intercept Games

Another question...

i have Lenovo P15 Gen 2 workstation. 32GB ram, i7-11850H, A3000 graphics card. not a bad laptop.

If i attached 6 rapier engines from same fuel source, i got approx. 2 fps. Now i get 4-5fps.

Do you guys think i will be ever able to play KSP2 on 3500 USD laptop? I am starting to beleive - NO

46 minutes ago, Siska said:

If i attached 6 rapier engines from same fuel source, i got approx. 2 fps. Now i get 4-5fps.

Do you guys think i will be ever able to play KSP2 on 3500 USD laptop? I am starting to beleive - NO

As far as I can tell, rendering has been left mostly untouched. That's probably where the most amount of optimization is still hiding.

I really miss scrolling vertically in the VAB. Am I missing something? Is there a setting I'm missing? A new key binding?

(This is my first post ever, I've been playing the OG since it was first released)

Edited by Norantio

1 hour ago, Norantio said:

I really miss scrolling vertically in the VAB. Am I missing something? Is there a setting I'm missing? A new key binding?

(This is my first post ever, I've been playing the OG since it was first released)

Middle mouse button now!

4 hours ago, bmcmahonwrx said:

I just want to say very impressive work on so many bug fixes in such short time!

The list is surely impressive but they likely got a head start. Remember that they announced last week they were ready to go but had to do testing, and that the initial release didn't have the luxury of allowing for delays. I'm going to guess that the release version was frozen at least one, maybe two weeks before release, so work on known bugs had already started back then.

That doesn't take away that it's a huge update, and the time span is still pretty short, just not as short as it appears it is.

I am wondering why  @Intercept Games hasn't updated their engine version for almost a year.

0.11 is running Unity 2020.3.33, April 2022 vs latest is 2020.3.46, March 2023. Worse, it's running an old version of the LTS release stream of Unity (2020.3 vs 2021.3).

As a Unity Dev for 13 years, this makes no sense. Especially considering the intention to move to HDRP. There is a substantial amount of fixes, physics optimizations and overhauls between 2020.3 and 2021.3. And to be honest, for a game in Alpha, I was expecting them to use the Tech-Stream 2022.2+ at the very least. 

Would be curious about any insights they have on this.

4 hours ago, Siska said:

i have Lenovo P15 Gen 2 workstation. 32GB ram, i7-11850H, A3000 graphics card. not a bad laptop

A3000 as in the NVidia Quatro A3000? Those are not made for gaming. NVidia purposely designed the Quatro gpu's not to be preformant for gaming. You would have better performance using the integrated Intel graphics.

3 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

A3000 as in the NVidia Quatro A3000? Those are not made for gaming. NVidia purposely designed the Quatro gpu's not to be preformant for gaming. You would have better performance using the integrated Intel graphics.

Nope. It has better performance than RTX 2070 (laptop) becausei had before.

As a matter of fact i reinstalled KSP2 and as far as i can see bug is gone:) It goes smoothly.  And no it's not quatro, It's RTX A3000.

4 hours ago, Norantio said:

Welcome, welcome ! I absolutely support this !

2 hours ago, Stoup said:

Middle mouse button now!

Yes, that's it, and that's a step backwards for my hand at least.

Please give us the possibility to choose dear devs.

Edited by TomKerbal

This is an awesome changelog. It feels almost like a different game. Thank you!

The KSP2 development, QA, and community relations teams are clearly tough and competent (and I'm sure the other teams are as well)!

2 hours ago, Idgo said:

Do we know if there will be "patch" downloads in the future? Not looking forward to completely reinstalling the game every few weeks...

Ask this question in https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/215373-324-discord-ama-nate-simpson-submit-questions-here/ so if more people ask about this maybe they will add this in future.

55 minutes ago, Humansizedkerbal said:

I'm assuming that when I'm at the main menu and it lists the version as 0.1.1.0.2 something that means I have the patch. Correct? Steam never showed that I had an update.

Correct. If it starts with 0.1.1, it's the patch. If it starts with 0.1.0, it' not.

21 hours ago, viperfan7 said:

So, still no proper joystick support I assume?

On 3/16/2023 at 5:14 PM, Nate Simpson said:

This is not yet in, but it is on our backlog and it is important to us.

Edited by softweir
Found the quote

On 3/16/2023 at 7:00 PM, Intercept Games said:
  • Fixed dV calculation breaking when new empty stages are added while building a vessel in the VAB 
  • Fixed dV amounts appearing on the wrong stage when rearranging stages in the staging stack 

jusr round at me mates and these definatly arent fixed in the new version

getting rather tired of the "attempt to attach a part from a port" like a jr port, and it decides to turn when snapping onto something completely different, makes it literally impossible to attach two builds into one..

and just to finally give up on a simple mechanic, the game decides to just instant crash..

On 3/17/2023 at 3:00 PM, PolishRenegade said:

I am wondering why  @Intercept Games hasn't updated their engine version for almost a year.

0.11 is running Unity 2020.3.33, April 2022 vs latest is 2020.3.46, March 2023. Worse, it's running an old version of the LTS release stream of Unity (2020.3 vs 2021.3).

As a Unity Dev for 13 years, this makes no sense. Especially considering the intention to move to HDRP. There is a substantial amount of fixes, physics optimizations and overhauls between 2020.3 and 2021.3. And to be honest, for a game in Alpha, I was expecting them to use the Tech-Stream 2022.2+ at the very least. 

Would be curious about any insights they have on this.

On top of that ... And noting I'm an artist, not a game designer.  But unreal engine has been doing whole planetary rendering for a while now.  

What goes into the decision to stay with unity over unreal? 

1 minute ago, Elfmaze said:

What goes into the decision to stay with unity over unreal? 

That one is easier to answer; as an artist you should know that most development goes into tools & architecture and not the actual gameplay. Retooling everything from Unity to Unreal and re-hire every programmer (doubtful everyone is as proficient in Unity than in Unreal (C# vs C++). So it's a no brainer they can't just change engine.

Just now, PolishRenegade said:

That one is easier to answer; as an artist you should know that most development goes into tools & architecture and not the actual gameplay. Retooling everything from Unity to Unreal and re-hire every programmer (doubtful everyone is as proficient in Unity than in Unreal (C# vs C++). So it's a no brainer they can't just change engine.

So yeah, at this point well set in direction.  But I suppose since the team had worked on ksp 1 they were Unity developers and thus the decision to stay with the same engine?  

I thought people used to say Unity was part of the limiting factor in the first game. Granted I know nothing about unity. But I assume it's been developing as fast as unreal on a parallel path.  Hopefully the new engine version doesn't have the same limitations.