KSP2_BugPackager - Making bug reporting easier to do

linuxgurugamer

This script is designed to package up all the files necessary to report a bug to the KSP 2 developers

The script consists of three files, an INI file, a PowerShell .ps1 file and a batch file. The INI file contains a description for each parameter, full explanation is further down

What it does

The script will gather up all files necessary to report a bug. You will be prompted for some information, and the files will be compiled into a zip file and stored in a file. All settings are configurable in the INI file.

The result will be in two zip files, one containing the logs and the second containing the save file(s)

Installation

1. Unpack the zip file into a folder
  2. Double-click on the install.bat file

Technical Information

While you should never need to change it, the following is provided for those people who would  want to manually customize the config

INI file Documentation

zipFilePath This contains the full path to where you want the script to saved the zip file

pathToGameDirectory Replace with the path to the directory where KSP 2 is. The followin two lines are examples of two different locations where KSP 2 lives on my system:

Usage

Once the INI file is configured, you can start the script by double-clicking on the desktop Icon. The following prompts are displayed:

1. Enter Bug title: Enter the title of the bug. Keep this short, it is used as the name of the zip file. Also, if there is an existing zip file by that name you will be prompted to enter a different one. It is also advisable not use spaces
  2. Please enter the bug description. Enter a blank line when you're finished.
  3. Select the Severity of the bug
  4. Select the Frequency of the bug
  5. A list of all the campaigns in the SinglePlayer directory is then displayed. Select the campaign which you are reporting the bug occurred in.
  6. Then a list of the save files for that campaign are displayed. Again, select the one which contains the bug.
  7. Do you want to include a workspace? (y/N): Yes or no, pressing return (or anything other than a "y") will bypass the workspaces
  8. If you did reply with a "y", you will then be presented with a list of workspaces Select the workspace to include.
  9. The files will then be packaged up, and the names of the file(s) which contain the bug report will be displayed. When done, press to end the script and close the window

Availability

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Does this only work on Steam installs or something?  I tried using it for KSP2 v0.1.1.0 using the portable install; after altering KSP2_BugPackager.ini and double-clicking KSP2_BugPackager.bat, PowerShell opens quickly and then immediately closes (without asking me any questions).

3 hours ago, Nikolai said:

Does this only work on Steam installs or something?  I tried using it for KSP2 v0.1.1.0 using the portable install; after altering KSP2_BugPackager.ini and double-clicking KSP2_BugPackager.bat, PowerShell opens quickly and then immediately closes (without asking me any questions).

Did you configure the INI file as it says in the OP and the README?

22 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Did you configure the INI file as it says in the OP and the README?

Yes.  Here are the contents of my INI file:

[KSP2_BugPackager]

debug=0

allInOneFile=true

zipFilePath=D:\Games

userName=go_4_

pathToGameDirectory=D:\Games\KSP2_win64
#   Following are two examples
# pathToGameDirectory=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2
# pathToGameDirectory=U:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2

pathToCampaignDirectories=C:\Users\go_4_\AppData\LocalLow\Intercept Games\Kerbal Space Program 2\Saves\SinglePlayer

Edited by Nikolai
Added contents of INI file

45 minutes ago, Space_Moomin said:

Hello Nikolai,

I think the issue is the .bat file
On windows, try replacing it with this line:
PowerShell -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "& '.\KSP2_BugPackager.ps1'"

@Nikolai

Please let me know if that works for you.  The bat I supplied worked on my system, but it's quite possible it needs to be updated with this.

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@Nikolai

Please let me know if that works for you.  The bat I supplied worked on my system, but it's quite possible it needs to be updated with this.

Changing the contents of the batch file to follow Space_Moomin's suggestions worked like a charm!  Thank you both very much!

Now, stupid question: Where do I go to report bugs?

Edited by Nikolai
Additional question

On 3/21/2023 at 4:44 PM, Nikolai said:

Changing the contents of the batch file to follow Space_Moomin's suggestions worked like a charm!  Thank you both very much!

Now, stupid question: Where do I go to report bugs?

Next release will help with that.  For now:

I have a beta available for the next version:

Changes

• Made app fully GUI based
  • Added ability to include misc files to be added
  • Removed option for allInOneFile
  • Added credits header line to bug description

(deleted, see next post)

Please test this, and be sure to look at the generated zip file.  This is a total rewrite, and while I think I got all the issues fixed, would like to get some additional eyes on it before I make it a full release.  I also need to write some documentation, but it should be fairly easy to follow

Edited by linuxgurugamer

New release 0.3.2

• Made app fully GUI based
  • Added ability to include misc files to be added
  • Removed option for allInOneFile
  • Added credits header line to bug description
  • Fixed error when adding multiple optional files 
  • Added button to clear entered files
  • Updated prompts for drag/drop
  • Swapped location of the bug reports buttons
  • Added an additional line re. forum files

• 1 month later...

This is a great reporting tool. :) By chance does it produce a boilerplate text (e.g. system information) for the start of a forum post? That might be helpful for users who post bugs on the forums. Then it would be a matter of opening the boilerplate output and cutting and pasting.

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2023 at 2:42 PM, Angelo Kerman said:

This is a great reporting tool. :) By chance does it produce a boilerplate text (e.g. system information) for the start of a forum post? That might be helpful for users who post bugs on the forums. Then it would be a matter of opening the boilerplate output and cutting and pasting.

Well, you can copy from the text file

New release, 0.5.0

• Removed all reference to the allInOne option, not used anymore
  • Thanks to forum user @anth12 for suggesting a lot of the following:
  • Created installer
  • Updated URL for bug reporting
  • Put the installed files within their own folder within the KSP2 Installation folder
  • Added shortcut to desktop
  • GUI stuff
    • Added window to display system specs, to make it easier to copy/paste to bugpage
    • Added button to open the reports folder
    • Added selection of first item in list box
    • Added buttons to copy the OS, CPU, RAM and GPU info to the clipboard

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to generate a bug report using this, and it is not generating the zip file I need.

The path I current have it set to is the following:

zipFilePath=D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2\KSP2_BugPackager\KSP2_BugPackagerReports\KSP2_BugPackagerReports

And here is the game directory path:

pathToGameDirectory=D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2

6 minutes ago, NovaRaptorTV said:

I am trying to generate a bug report using this, and it is not generating the zip file I need.

zipFilePath=D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2\KSP2_BugPackager\KSP2_BugPackagerReports\KSP2_BugPackagerReports

tried reinstalling it, and it still doesn't work

Edited by NovaRaptorTV

28 minutes ago, NovaRaptorTV said:

tried reinstalling it, and it still doesn't work

Please disregard previous post. This occurred when I put a '?' in the bug report title

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.