Weekly Challenge #4 - Apollo Recreation

Kerbonauts! Time for KSP2 Weekly Challenge #4 

Challenge4_Apollo_Landscape.png

Primary: Recreate the Apollo 7 mission (fly to Kerbin orbit then return to Kerbin)

Stretch: Recreate the Apollo 8 mission (fly to Mun orbit, then return to Kerbin)

Jeb Level: Recreate the Apollo 11 mission (fly to the Mun, land a crew, return that crew to Kerbin)

Val Level: Recreate your favorite rocket (either planned or fictional), land a crew on Duna and return them to Kerbin

Oh neat, I got a head start on this challenge because I was already doing an Apollo 11 mission. 

I only got a few shots because I wasn't running it for the challenge but here we are! EDIT - Reloaded on the Mun and got screenshots for the rest of the mission.

The Beast leaving the pad: 

dkMmz4W.jpg

Enroute to the Mun:
cKUEk29.png

Insertion Burn:

R2HCONO.jpg

One Kerbonaut in the CM and two on the Mun, though one stayed inside because they didn't want to get covered in dust:

pWs2i7l.jpg

My screenshots end there because I couldn't plant a flag due to mods but the return rendezvous was successful as was the triumphant return to Kerbin. I overbuilt the lander so it could be used in a subsequent mission with a station in Munar orbit, but alas it was taken by the kraken after undocking even though it had a probe core.  

***EDIT*** 

So I didn't like the inconclusive nature of this post so I loaded my quicksave on the Mun and reflew the part coming home.  Continued:

Rendezvous:

ULaB5D2.jpg

Preparing for re-entry ( I ate up a lot of DV with a suboptimal return so I could get a light side landing for screenshots, but I still left half a tank in the lander for future missions)

5GD7Hnf.jpg

aoOVWTn.jpg

Home safe!

fJ2pqMm.jpg

Edited by skyhy
Missing stuff!

Val level done with an Apollo-style mission to Duna.

Shame about the night launch, but here's my Saton 4 rocket (geddit?) lifting off...

nwabhOR.png

See, there's four rockets and... never mind.

saG0rta.png

Orbiting Duna.

9aGY8KC.png

Coming in to land...

LIGl6XL.png

WlFQ2cM.png

Aerodynamics? Who needs 'em.

8tJFRag.png

Rendezvous & docking...

VbM7ECf.png

Back around Kerbin, happy to be home!

F5IZG7b.png

Splashdown.

kvDf9pQ.png

Honestly, even Duna doesn't stretch the dv in a Saturn 5, there's a whole lower stage I didn't bother with. I'm thinking Moho might be doable?

So it happened

exuC7TJ.jpg

This thing was waaay too overengineered for what it had to do but whatever. Just look at the size of that engine.

NRFpwv8.jpg

Pulling the lander out of non-solid fairing, already in Mun orbit (told ya it was OP, the second stage alone brought me there)

caY5Ob5.jpg

And now together, ready to undock, right where I needed.

Of course my forgetful butt didn't take a photo on the surface, so you'll have to trust me on that, sorry. And there's no way to see if a flag is there because tracking station doesn't mark them. I aimed for a spot to see Kerbin just rising above the Mun, but landed in a valley and got nothing. But..

XTLE7zH.png

I have a screenshot few seconds after liftoff.

pXh0ASw.jpg

And a bit later when they were back together. Again you can see the result of rocket OPness, as the CSM barely used any fuel. Dropped the empty lander and went home.

4xUCGZI.jpg

At home.

My recreation of Apollo 11 for the KSP 2 Mun Challenge.

5CPhIsF.png

okiwJQS.png

The Jool 5 Rocket blasts off for a clandestine launch at night.

1bAICVK.png
Second stage dropped off at an altitude of 205km.

y3FPFsG.png
Third stage circularized orbit before being used for the Trans Munar Injection burn.

MNlGccF.png
Apollo 1.1 (my version of Apollo 11) has arrived at the Mun. (Yes, I know that the third stage was jettisoned after TLI...)

pLrcbgb.png
Apollo 1.1 has jettisoned the shroud covering the Munar Excursion Module.

WG8dkfg.png
Apollo has docked with the MEM. A Mishap with the decoupler has caused a collision between the Jool 5 3rd stage and the lander. One of the RCS propellant tanks was destroyed. Mission is still a go.

QRRABgd.png
Valentina and Jersey have transferred to the MEM, leaving Philley behind in the Apollo spacecraft. The two spacecraft separate.

kO1poAY.png
Deorbit burn successful.

1i3KFiA.png
Touchdown! The Beagle has landed.

t8DCcUc.png
Obligatory flag planting.

As we all know, Apollo 1.1 had a communications gap during which conspiracy theorists suggested that the kerbonauts inspected an alien spacecraft built by giant transforming robots.

Spoiler

FZnoLZ5.png

In reality, they inspected a giant arch symbolizing the Kerbol system that was built by aliens. Researchers note that the planets appear in order if one reads in a zig-zag pattern from left, to right, back to left, back to right...

6JyotV0.png
Their primary objective completed, Beagle returns to orbit. After much frustration with missing orbit lines and orbits that randomly change and orbits that suddenly stopped a ship in orbit, Beagle and Apollo 1.1 finally meet up again in orbit.

bmZozRe.png

qGxSD06.png

9JMjgUd.png

JQypHqV.png
Apollo's navigation computer remains borked, but Apollo 1.1 leaves Mun's SOI regardless. To return home, all Valentina can do is eyeball it. It worked! Apollo 1.1 jettisoned its service module and landed back on Kerbin at dawn. Mission accomplished! But there were more questions than answers...

Val-level challenge

Screenshot-78.png

Spoiler

The vehicle in Kerbin orbit

Screenshot-71.png

Bracing for aerocapture

Screenshot-73.png

Aerocaptured and now in orbit, with Ike joining in too!

Screenshot-74.png

Going down

Screenshot-75.png

Descending to the surface

Screenshot-76.png

Three happy Kerbals safely landed on Duna!

Screenshot-77.png

Flags and footprints on Duna

Screenshot-78.png

Back in orbit and successfully docked with the transfer stage

Screenshot-79.png

Ready for Kerbin atmospheric entry

Screenshot-80.png

Flying back down to the surface

Screenshot-81.png

The end of a remarkable journey

Screenshot-82.png

Apollo 11 to Eeloo. This time going for maximum realism on the Saturn 5 and EEM (Eeloo Excursion Module) modelling.

"10, 9, 8..."

"Hold, hold. Jeb's not on board. I, er, think he's in the bathroom."

<some time later>

"10, 9, 8, 7..."

"Hold. The struts supporting the command module have vanished."

"Vanished? Whaddaya mean they've vanished?"

"Into thin air, sir. On the plus side, housekeeping reports we have a new clothes line."

<some time later>

"5, 4, 3, 2..."

"Hold, hold. The staging's completely FUBAR'd."

"YOU'RE ALL FIRED."

MhhTCSl.png

"So, we're definitely on course to the Mun, yes?"

"Straight ahead, course laid in. Navcomp says we can't miss."

cFIgCzb.png

"We missed, didn't we?"

"Headed into furthest depths of the Kerbolar System. We might make Eeloo if we're very lucky...."

HqVy4tT.png

"Stage Three separated, EEM reacquired. Hey, is it me or does this planetoid look like a giant kraken egg that's about to hatch?"

"Don't even say that!"

R9pbpT4.png

"For the last time, Jeb, brussel sprouts are not appropriate snacks on deep space missions. We've been stuck in this tin can for FOUR YEARS."

1dEqxcp.png

"One small step for Jeb..."

cuLE8yT.png

"Welcome back, Jeb. Just in time, the telemetry's going wild. We're getting hzzz  fluctuations in the zzzzb orbit hssspit inclination completely changed!"

ERn9ZAy.png

"It's like the planet's trying to swallow-"

"Hzzzzt baby kraken! Aaaaargh!"

"It's... it's full of stars...."

kluhNVP.png

<transmission ends>

Edited by KincaidFrankMF

Kerpollo-11

This proved to be quite fun!

I should definitely do voice-overs if this is going to hold anyone's attention for such a long video... but the video captures a few interesting moments.

Video: https://clipchamp.com/watch/sKrs0xZS3Xp

One really unexpected moment, was just before landing - I overshot, went back - overshooting again - and barely missed the top of the arch.

The rest was pretty regular bugginess. Docking causing massive changes in the plan. Manuever nodes going away, or awry.

Overall it went better than expected, managed to get there and back, even though I forgot to load Bill, and didn't mention Bob in the credits.

Even had a RCS tank loaded and some jets, but completely forgot that those need to be positioned correctly relative to ship mass to be able to translate. This was my first docking in years.

The flip: 2m55

Detach Launcher: 6m15

The landing: 8m50

Second Docking: 13m13

The important bits are there.
NAYwrge.jpeg 

And it didn't explode on the pad.
mLyLi5C.jpeg 

It needed a flip, like the real thing:
A7mZmnN.jpeg 
And the lander left a little piece of itself behind:
IJTEad0.jpeg

The landing site wasn't quite authentic though...
YVdqti5.jpeg

Edited by PyroSA

This is my Saturn V replica, but I haven't launched it yet because I need to add MOAR STRUTS and sort out a TWR problem. (Which unfortunately can't be solved by adding MOAR BOOSTERS because it's a replica)

9_YUN7sIfUmLp5Ek_i_U6Xuzz4Jvbd25yg3xAgxH

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fG17sLDz8wikeS6CA(kindly ignore this link please)

Edited by whiteturtle0923
added some random link for no reason at all

My take on the Apollo 11 Challenge:

My Saturn V Rocket
5wQkNCO.jpg

Liftoff
q1HMlZ7.jpg

Separation of the first stage
NKWgwNd.jpg

And second stage
zp9yjZ1.jpg

Grabbing the lander
cr7HzDh.jpg

Entering Mun's SOI
lwbSbSm.jpg

The Eagle has landed
QseBvP3.jpg

One small step for a Kerbal...
07G1R3i.jpg

Back to orbit
QAdyAPX.jpg
bTHOA06.jpg

Docking with the Service Module (that was especially hard because my lander module didn't have an orbital line anymore)
mKuWgYQ.jpg

Let's get back home
H6JZTF8.jpg
ba75Mh7.jpg

The next morning
6zIVtbB.jpg

YEAH, we are alive!
66DABHh.jpg

On 3/17/2023 at 11:23 PM, skyhy said:

Oh neat, I got a head start on this challenge because I was already doing an Apollo 11 mission. 

Your lander looks really cool. I never know where and how to use all the different structural parts. Nice work! 

On 3/20/2023 at 7:04 PM, Bingmao said:

Your lander looks really cool. I never know where and how to use all the different structural parts. Nice work! 

Thank you! I've been messing around for a while with trying to make things interesting and functional at the same time, can't wait for some science parts! 

Today I finished Jeb Level of this challenge.

My rocket:

9o1iuJM.jpg

3vVpfvD.jpg

On LKO:

x8t6dAy.jpg

On transfe to Mun:

b9kFbfK.jpg

wZ6mnAa.jpg

Landing on Mun in progress:

nefvnoU.jpg

On Mun: (there is the Bug plaguing two stage landers - if you separate on ground and launch, your vessel will have status landed and you will not have any lines {orbital information} so in order to evade this fate I first launched and after that , when I was already flying, I separated lower stage of the lander)

QGnKMdI.jpg

Return to Mun orbit:

T8owAwA.jpg

qQFU1DD.jpg

Return to Kerbin:

PXBkD7g.jpg

I had problem with my design of Service Modul, when I tried to decouple capsule from it, the vessel got destroyed. So because of that I landed like this:

m0AmQBM.jpg

ai38dIC.jpg

Edited by Tapeta
just added bug info