Weekly Challenge #4 - Apollo Recreation

Hi All :)

My attempt to Apollo Recreation,  Jeb Level, if Jebediah only is ok for the crew :)

A 8,6 Tons mission... Kind of a very light Apollo 11 !!!

Craft file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yrTGOg1HIiglgf2z5dIv2z48XB_ATMDO/view?usp=share_link

Copy/Past in VAB link: (WARNING bugs: struts not connected and fuel methane tank to set 0.6)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17KQWam2HJfH11j99va_h1jKQRs3UyJ08/view?usp=share_link

Copy/Past in VAB link: (WARNING bugs: struts not connected and fuel methane tank to set 0.6)

Copy/Past in VAB link: (WARNING bugs: struts not connected and fuel methane tank 

Edited by astrobond

• 1 month later...

A bit late (very late) to the party here, but here's my first Apollo-style Mun mission. This was also my first KSP2 Mun mission.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Also took Jeb and the "Gray Jay" lander to the new Mun Arch. (Spoilers!)

Spoiler

img%5D

Does this entry count since it's overdue?

Edited by TwoCalories

2 hours ago, TwoCalories said:

A bit late (very late) to the party here, but here's my first Apollo-style Mun mission. This was also my first Mun mission.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Also took Jeb and the "Gray Jay" lander to the new Mun Arch. (Spoilers!)

Reveal hidden contents

img%5D

Does this entry count since it's overdue?

Congratulations to your first Mun landing!

I really like your design of the lander module!

I've been away for a number of weeks so I've clearly got a lot of catching up to do with these challenges.  Everything is becoming easier to work around as the patches and fixes come into play, but I still had a few issues to work through with struts and docking which I'm confident will be patched/improved soon.  Very enjoyable mission and performance seems to have really increased in the latest patch for me also.

Here's the full mission report with detailed description, and here's a couple of summary images of the mission:

FQnXHgc.jpg

500t and 251 parts with a total height of nearly 56 meters.  This is not a small launch vehicle.  Couple of things that really helped with this Apollo style mission:

1) Turned off a lot of the gimballing apart from the centre engines on each stage.  This reduced engine induced wobble
2) Reduced explosive force on decouplers/separators, and reduced the docking acquisition angle
3) Turned off pitch, roll yaw on the RCS system, letting SAS deal with this.  This made RCS highly effective and would encourage anyone to do the same if they are facing issues with ineffective RCS

tMyZiya.jpg

Minimal wobble on this rocket! Had to play around with struts a little to make it happen.  Understand wobbly rockets probably isn't going away, but it would be nice to see it nerfed a little imho.

arZtm0O.jpg

Beautiful view over the mare as the crew enters orbit around Mun

wukFtum.jpg

Flag planting ceremony completed

vT5T2ov.jpg

There's still a bug that makes orbit lines invisible when lifting off from the surface with a stage separation action, so I took this photo, the reloaded and jumped the landing stage a couple of feet before separation so I could see what I was doing on orbit.

27EhcMo.jpg

Burning for Kerbin.  I do love the engine plumes in KSP2

YePLVN0.jpg

Back safe and sound.  And bored? Tired?  Come on crew!

Overall, a very rewarding foray back into KSP2 after a few weeks' absence.  Really pleased with the progress the team is making on the game.  It's improving a lot!  On to the next weekly challenge which is Duna. 

SM