Today is Friday, but one day it'll be Fry(your ship)day

Nate Simpson

image.png

Patch One is out, and players have been putting it through its paces for a whole day now! We’ve still got plenty of work to do, but the overall takeaway seems to be that the game has seen some big performance and feature improvements. It has been especially nice to see that even "small" gains are appreciated by our players - rest assured that the devs who work on those features are reading your comments and feeling the love. Our team will soak up all these good community vibes and use them to power us toward Patch Two, which will contain even more optimizations and improvements. Your feedback and bug reports have been invaluable in helping us to determine the frequency and severity of ongoing issues, and that information informs our production priorities going forward.

Performance improvements and bug fixes will continue to take place alongside ongoing development of core features like re-entry heating, thermal systems, and other headline features on the Roadmap. As you can see, progress is being made:

image.png

We can’t yet predict which update will contain re-entry heating - for obvious reasons, we’re holding ourselves to a very high standard of performance. As soon as it’s doing everything we need it to do, in every situation in which it needs to do it, we’ll add re-entry to a future patch.

In other news - if you haven’t seen any of the ExtraKerbicular Activities videos, you should check them out! Our Community Team has put a ton of work into creating bite-sized assets that go deeper into vehicle construction and piloting tips, and there's a new one about wings! They’re fun, they’re informative, and they make a great follow-up to the tutorials.

Let's see, what else? Oh, next Friday, I'll be joining the Community Team to do my first AMA. You can submit your questions via this forum post or directly to Discord. On Friday morning I'll dig into the pile and do my best to answer as many as I can! 

Last but not least, we’ve got another Weekly Challenge! This week we’re building Apollo recreations (though the stretch goals go a bit beyond that). Now that docking, decoupling, and fairings have calmed down a bit since Patch One, this is a great chance to start working on some more ambitious missions.

Happy launching!

We can’t yet predict which update will contain re-entry heating - for obvious reasons, we’re holding ourselves to a very high standard of performance.

the biggest joke ever ....  if you have high standard why is it so heavy buggy.....

Wow, lovely effects there! Can't wait to see it in game.

But I can't help but feel nitpicky, the big gripe I always had with KSP1's plasma effects (and, judging from that screenshot, KSP2's now as well) is that they simply displayed when you were past a certain velocity threshold without much regard for the context of the situation. I'll allow past me to explain further:

On 2/14/2023 at 10:39 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

It is worth noting here that KSP1's visual effect rule of 'above ~1000m/s = plasma' isn't technically correct. The plasma you get during re-entry of IRL spacecraft is a result of compression heating, essentially the air in front of the vehicle being unable to move out of the way fast enough and so heating up and ionising through various thermodynamic processes.

During launch a vehicle moves out of the lower atmosphere rather quickly, so by the time it's moving fast enough for serious heating to occur, it's high enough that there's practically no air. Launch vehicles do get some heating, but it's all direct frictional heating between the air and the vehicle's skin, so no plasma is produced. In contrast, a re-entry vehicle continues to accelerate as it falls toward the planet, meaning that by the time the air is dense enough to cause compression heating, it's moving extremely fast.

I feel kinda bad mentioning this given how much work has probably already gone into the heating system, but you guys have already shown you're not afraid of making much bigger changes (i.e, the terrain rendering stuff Mortoc went into detail about), so I'll throw this out there on the off chance that you find it worthwhile.

In any case, thanks again guys for your dedication and transparency. Things can only get better :D

I am cautiously optimistic for the future of KSP 2 but I really appreciate all the hard work that the KSP 2 team has put into making the game successful. At one point I wanted to be a game developer but I realized that it was not the best path for me. It takes a lot of dedication and effort to make a game, so my hat is off for those who have the patience to stick with it to make a great game. I look forward to the continuing improvements to the game and especially the new features on the roadmap. :)

48 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

image.png

Patch One is out, and players have been putting it through its paces for a whole day now! We’ve still got plenty of work to do, but the overall takeaway seems to be that the game has seen some big performance and feature improvements. It has been especially nice to see that even "small" gains are appreciated by our players - rest assured that the devs who work on those features are reading your comments and feeling the love. Our team will soak up all these good community vibes and use them to power us toward Patch Two, which will contain even more optimizations and improvements. Your feedback and bug reports have been invaluable in helping us to determine the frequency and severity of ongoing issues, and that information informs our production priorities going forward.

Performance improvements and bug fixes will continue to take place alongside ongoing development of core features like re-entry heating, thermal systems, and other headline features on the Roadmap. As you can see, progress is being made:

image.png

We can’t yet predict which update will contain re-entry heating - for obvious reasons, we’re holding ourselves to a very high standard of performance. As soon as it’s doing everything we need it to do, in every situation in which it needs to do it, we’ll add re-entry to a future patch.

In other news - if you haven’t seen any of the ExtraKerbicular Activities videos, you should check them out! Our Community Team has put a ton of work into creating bite-sized assets that go deeper into vehicle construction and piloting tips, and there's a new one about wings! They’re fun, they’re informative, and they make a great follow-up to the tutorials.

Let's see, what else? Oh, next Friday, I'll be joining the Community Team to do my first AMA. You can submit your questions via this forum post or directly to Discord. On Friday morning I'll dig into the pile and do my best to answer as many as I can! 

Last but not least, we’ve got another Weekly Challenge! This week we’re building Apollo recreations (though the stretch goals go a bit beyond that). Now that docking, decoupling, and fairings have calmed down a bit since Patch One, this is a great chance to start working on some more ambitious missions.

Happy launching!

oh no, the EFFECT is not following the true shape of the rocket mesh. a whole other mesh is applied over top the part to ACT as if its being hit by the ATMO. yeah im not a fan of this i like the older style better when it comes to the effect. While this here might be cheaper to run it makes me think that other code are cheaper as well. 
cheaper does not always look better but it may help with performance. Though i do wish that my CPU 5950x uses more then 2% one day.. here is to hoping.  

You know how the first trailer we see how one of the kerbals slips off the ladder? You remember that time where kerbals would always fall over or never land on their feet? Have you ever missed that feeling of the physics just taking control and Kerbals do Kerbal things and made us laugh? u ever remember that feeling???

no matter what i do. i can not knock over a kerbal i can not laugh over a kerbal falling off or slipping off an object or flop around as they fall off their seats and tumble around. The feeling just seems to be missing and i no joke cried so many times in laughter cuz how funny it was. But that feeling in KSP 2 was ripped away from my soul. 
i want to feel that again...... 

57 minutes ago, DJDoesKSP said:

No Mans Sky is no match for this level of dedication 

NMS: They pretty much made a sequel to the original game at this point.
KSP2: Devs took 3 weeks to get a patch out for a botched EA release.

Both games haven't had the best of starts, and I'm sure both dev teams are doing their best, but you simply can't compare NMS to KSP2 at this point

1 minute ago, KerbolExplorer said:

Both games haven't had the best of starts, and I'm sure both dev teams are doing their best, but you simply can't compare NMS to KSP2 at this point

You also have to remember that Hello Games did not communicate for months after NMS was released and it was broken for a long time

Also, how fast is that rocket going to produce that much heat at that altitude!

15 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

Yeah, I wasnt entirely being serious. Just an exaggerated way of saying that Intercept is already seeming to be a very dedicated and passionate dev team. Of course NMS and KSP 2 aren't comparable, NMS went from a bare bones, broken mess to a completely different and way better game. I see KSP 2 ending up the same way in the future.