Aircraft wings falling off

almagnus1

So I'm working on a launch platform based around the concept of using jet engines for the first stage making a single use space plane using the shuttle engine plate as the base.  However, I have not been able to launch this platform because even with nothing on the wing (not the intended design), as soon as I spawn it on the runway the wings are falling off.

Aside from hacking the game files, is there any way to fix this ingame?

Not that I can recall. 

Two things that stick out to me:

1) It's got a lot of pogo on the launch pad (IMO aircraft should really spawn with SAS off and brakes on), and the general floppy rocket problem is making this far harder than it really needs to be.

2) Even after getting a version without the wing engines and rapier stack in the wing to spawn, the wings ripped off as soon as I tried to pull up.  I had so little thrust that I was in the ocean shortly after that failure happened.

From what I'm seeing, the wing problem on the aircraft feels like the wings do not have the required strength needed to be used for super-heavy class SSTOs.

Here's also some more pics showing more of what's in this particular build:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2948241206
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2948241121
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2948241165

Generally speaking with aircraft, I tend to have a bit of dihedral (this is more than I generally like), and I will set the inner control surfaces on the wing to only do pitch, while the outer control surfaces only does roll.  If there's a middle segment, that would do both pitch and roll.  The tail is generally configured to do yaw.  I can't do the necessary testing to actually get it to orbit because I can't launch, and sometimes even when I do launch I will get something failing halfway down the runway and have total loss of control when the flight director pops up saying "stuff failed, your craft is totaled" despite it still barreling down the runway.  Amusingly, the cargo probe will also repro the loss of trajectory line when you activate the second stage to take off from wherever you've landed.  I'm also open to sending the craft file to the devs if that'd help with debugging.

Edit:

After further poking around with the craft... found a bug where landing gear on a stage that's not attached will respond to toggling the gear on the current active craft.  The way KSP1 handled this was actually making a completely separate craft every time you staged, so that inputs from one craft wouldn't affect another.  This can be VERY problematic if we've got an orbital craft with a bunch of drones we're flying down to the surface and having gear deploy unexpected causes parts collisions and things going boom.

Edited by almagnus1

Wing falling off checklist:

1. Attach 1 strut between wing and parent part

2.If this fails use 2 struts preferably on top and bottom between wing and parent part

3.If this fails try building a wingbox with a metal frame between the wings and struts between the frames and struts from the frames to major parts

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 4:10 PM, almagnus1 said:

1) It's got a lot of pogo on the launch pad (IMO aircraft should really spawn with SAS off and brakes on), and the general floppy rocket problem is making this far harder than it really needs to be.

I think this is a really important point, and maybe the real root of the wing falling off issue.  Not sure.

Craft often seem to be dropped from a bit of a high height on launch.  Especially on the runway.  I sometimes find myself waiting for my craft to stop bouncing even with suspension spring strength and dampers maxed out.  And yet, sometimes, they're not dropped at all.  Sometimes they're already completely settled.  What's up with that?

As far as having SAS off by default goes, I'm on the fence about that.  I think it depends.  For new players, I think you'd really want it on.  Once you get to the point where you're savvy with using SAS, I think it depends.  I know I don't always want to have to remember to turn it on.

I'm also on the fence about whether or not brakes should be on by default.  Again, I think new players are being catered to.  Which I am in favor of.  I can only imagine new players getting irritated at how badly their first take offs are going because they don't know that the brakes are on.

One other related point.  The runways do not seem to be perfectly level.  My craft always seem to start rolling forward.  This doesn't seem good to me.

Maybe these can both be added to settings?  Ether general game settings, or on the craft parts themselves?

1 hour ago, Little 908 said:

I personally love having my wings randomly falling off after I forgot to quicksave.

I wouldn't mind it so much if I could get airborne first... so far, my craft is still stuck on the runway going "Wuh happen?"