3/24 Discord AMA - Nate Simpson - SUBMIT QUESTIONS HERE

Dakota

• Community Manager

Hi all,

To celebrate the release of KSP2 and our first big patch, we're hosting a Discord AMA with Nate Friday 3/24 from 9am-10am PST.

AskNateAnything.png

Reply below with any questions you have for Nate.

We are also taking questions over in the Discord.

Heads-up that we only have an hour so we won't be able to get to every question!

Looking forward to it,

Dakota

Regarding the big roadmap features development (science, interstellar, etc), are the dev team working on those alongside regular patches and bug fixes, or are the big ticket items the sort of thing you've put on hold while stabilising the game with smaller patches?

Are you guys aware of the drag bug causing numerous parts to generate significantly higher drag then they should? +cargo bays/fairings not shielding anything from drag.

If the team is aware, is this a low-priority bug? when could we expect it fixed?

Thanks.

Edited by FlazeTheDragon

When KSP2 was first getting into development was the original intention of the team to release the game as Early Access or as a full game with all the intended features?

If the original intention was to release a full game then at what point did the team realize it needed to pivot to an Early Access model?

Edited by MechBFP

Hi Nate. Hope your day is going well.

Two straightforward questions:

1) It is cool that we can press 'F2' and take HUD-less screenshots, but given that it's the most basic way of taking screenshots, and that many of us players enjoy taking the best pictures possible of our crafts: Does KSP2 plan to implement a fully fleshed Camera Mode in which we can change settings such as Focal Lenght, DoF, Focus, Tilt, Filters and most of the other cool options that modern games nowadays implement in their Camera Modes?

2) Does Intercept consider the future implementation of upscaling techniques such as AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution and/or NVIDIA's DLSS?

Edited by MARL_Mk1

Hi Nate, I'm curious as to how you guys are dividing the work internally now that the first patch is out. For example, do you have one team working on bugfixing/testing, one on optimizations, another on adding in missing features like re-entry heating, and another on big new features like science or colonies? If you do have something like that, what is the main focus now? 30% on bugfixing, 20% on optimizations, etc? 

P.S, most of us are very happy with the first patch. Thanks for all the hard work!

Can we send you craft files that demonstrate an issue (or bunch of them) to help with the dev teams investigation and fixing of the issues?

On a different note: Thoughts about implementing the KSP1 VAB/SPH camera controls?

Edited by almagnus1

Hello. I have 12 questions:

1. In what stage of development are features on the roadmap like colonies or interstellar travel? Are they almost finished and just waiting to be implemented after the core of the game gets improved or do they still need a lot of work?

2. When we'll see other exotic fuel types like metallic hydrogen? Will they be added alongside some big update like colonies or will they be added before?

3. I have been wondering what are the large geodomes on top of some colony towers. Are they greenhouses or some 'colony parks' to improve the mood of kerbal colonists and increase their productivity?

4. What can you fit into the triangle-shaped cargo containers shown in trailers many times? Only colony parts or also some resources?

5. Will stuff you can build in KSC be also limited by resources? Will there be parts that don't require any resources to build? If not, what happens if you run out of all resources, you can't build anything, you don't have any colonies to produce the required materials and you are stuck?

6. What are the most difficult new challenges that await us after new features will be added?

7. How will the resource gathering on colonies work? How can you prevent players from building only a small colony with slow mining capabilities and time-warping until the colony provides enough materials?

8. What are some example resources you can gather or make except fuels in a colony?

9. Do you have a rough estimate of when specific features on the roadmap will be implemented? weeks, months, years, centuries :)

10. What is your guess on how the system requirements will look after the game will be fully optimized?

11. How do you set up delivery root? Is it just a few clicks or you must fly the spacecraft the whole way and then you can automate it?

12. What will prevent players from using low delta-v rockets to escape kerbol SOI and get to another star system in millennias?

1) Do you have any words to those of us that run a potato, and stubbornly refuse to upgrade their systems for reasons?
2) Seeing that there are still multiple of different kinds of bugs, would you permit beneficial bugs to be not patched? For example the kraken-drive.
3) Rate the following; officially supported windowses, linux and mac. What do you think of these OS?

Edited by securityinstruts

I have a question that will likely be disallowed for obvious reasons, but in the spirit of AMA:

When Intercept took over development from Star Theory, was the work-in-progress code base brought over or did you need need/elect to start entirely from scratch?  Were the significant, rolling release delays related to deep rewrites and/or recreation?  If code was brought over after the move, did you decide over time to rewrite code from the 2017-2019 timeframe or is that early code driving the initial release trailer still in KSP 2?

There is a ton of emotionally-charged speculation surrounding this on Steam, Reddit, Discord and this forum.  If the info isn't legally disallowed, it would be a good show of transparency and engagement to set the record straight for fans, especially those who have elected to show their support for your team by picking up the EA release in good faith.

Hello Nate, many thanks for you and the team sticking with the game!

I was wondering how different the science system will be from the first game with all the new locations and the new mechanics that are being introduced.

How long do we have to wait for are first milestone update?

1 hour ago, FlazeTheDragon said:

Do you guys plan to re-add the old de-bug (cheat) menu?

I think most people dont understand why its gone.

I'm pretty sure it's because it is a multiplayer game in the end.

Will science function in the same way as in KSP 1 (go to a place, click a button), or will it be more involved now?

I appreciate the open communication from the team :)

Edited by cocoscacao

Hi Nate,
Props to the whole team.  Patch 1 has been awesome thus far.
Question:  What was the thoughts behind making KSP2 this very large thing to do everything rather than focus on making it a solid, extensible framework and let the modders do the heavy lift.  I think it's a given that once KSP2 reaches stability that the modders will be the first to give interstellar, colonization, multi-player and so forth.

Thanks!

Thanks for the opportunity Nate. I always thought the original game struck an awesome balance between realism and fun gameplay. I'm wondering what some of the tougher decisions you've had to make with respect to this in KSP2 were and how you went about making them. Also any of the smaller but interesting ones.

It's easy to see the passion that went into the game so far, keep it up!

Edited by rjbvre