Largest Vessel Sent to Orbit (Patch 1)

twich22

Patch 1 seems to be a step in the right direction. Still a long way to go but just take things one at a time and we will get there eventually! 

I am most looking forward to performance improvement. It took me probably 2 hours to get this rocket from the ground up to 70km. 

But it made it in one piece! 

Next time im going to try with a lot less struts to see if it performs much better or if its all due to the number of engines. Once I cut the engines it moves much faster but hard to cut engines while trying to escape from the soup!

The only real issue is that while loading the craft into existence on the runway, the shock physics will tear the ship apart. The engines will just fall off. I could have built a more stable launcher to prevent it but I just opted to turn on unbreakable joints/unbreakable parts when loading onto the landing pad and then turn it back off again before launching. 

Also, I had no reaction wheels on the ship, except maybe 1 in the probe core. 

Cant wait to see what else I can get into orbit. 

Spoiler

1.png

ship-2.png

ship-3.png

ship-4.png

ship-5.png

ship-7.png

ship-8.png

I've been trying to launch a orbital dockyard that's barely fits in the VAB...  So far it's not going well.  Never gotten it above 15k before some kind of RUD happens.  

But the newv lower weights on the XL payload truss sections help with Delta V at least

On 3/17/2023 at 4:09 PM, twich22 said:

It took me probably 2 hours to get this rocket from the ground up to 70km. 

Hindsight being 20/20,  they should have just added interstellar, better graphics, and colonies as DLC for KSP1. 

This is unfortunate.

20 hours ago, TLTay said:

Hindsight being 20/20,  they should have just added interstellar, better graphics, and colonies as DLC for KSP1. 

This is unfortunate.

Nah. Now I have something to look forward to every few weeks as they release new content. It will be great. Just wait for a few patches until things are optimized a bit. It will get there.

On 3/19/2023 at 5:37 PM, Elfmaze said:

I've been trying to launch a orbital dockyard that's barely fits in the VAB...  So far it's not going well.  Never gotten it above 15k before some kind of RUD happens.  

But the newv lower weights on the XL payload truss sections help with Delta V at least

Id like to see that when you finally get it up there!

2 hours ago, twich22 said:

Nah. Now I have something to look forward to every few weeks as they release new content. It will be great. Just wait for a few patches until things are optimized a bit. It will get there.

Id like to see that when you finally get it up there!

Im guessing we are at least two to three patches away from success,  as Its all docking ports and truss sections that don't seem to like to work very well. 

On 3/17/2023 at 5:09 PM, twich22 said:

Patch 1 seems to be a step in the right direction. Still a long way to go but just take things one at a time and we will get there eventually! 

I am most looking forward to performance improvement. It took me probably 2 hours to get this rocket from the ground up to 70km. 

But it made it in one piece! 

Next time im going to try with a lot less struts to see if it performs much better or if its all due to the number of engines. Once I cut the engines it moves much faster but hard to cut engines while trying to escape from the soup!

The only real issue is that while loading the craft into existence on the runway, the shock physics will tear the ship apart. The engines will just fall off. I could have built a more stable launcher to prevent it but I just opted to turn on unbreakable joints/unbreakable parts when loading onto the landing pad and then turn it back off again before launching. 

Also, I had no reaction wheels on the ship, except maybe 1 in the probe core. 

Cant wait to see what else I can get into orbit. 

Hide contents

1.png

ship-2.png

ship-3.png

ship-4.png

ship-5.png

ship-7.png

ship-8.png

I think you have me beat.

EFiusC0.jpg

xqxAE6K.jpg

gijJTGN.jpg

...But this WAS 33 engines firing!

I dig it. I did something similar with no unbreakable Joints, just a lot of support lol. Still great work man. It looks cool. How many engines? I think I beat ya but mine was before the patch. Muahaha!! Lol

Edited by B15hop

58 engines for the first stage. I tried adding supports to stop the engines falling off when it loads onto the launch pad but they still fall off. I think it must be a bug related to mass or something strange. The ship is well secured but the engines still want to detach. I remember this bug from KSP 1 long ago. They fixed it eventually. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.