Breaking Ground

JebIsBetter

I think it's been confirmed that they aren't planned for the initial release version, so it won't be any time soon if ever.

Modders have been making good progress, though, so I suspect something like Infernal Robotics will pop up soon enough.

On 3/18/2023 at 1:28 AM, K^2 said:

I think it's been confirmed that they aren't planned for the initial release version, so it won't be any time soon if ever.

Modders have been making good progress, though, so I suspect something like Infernal Robotics will pop up soon enough.

Seems odd that they wouldn’t include all the parts and features from the older game.. I guess they want to hold them back so we can buy them again as DLC..

22 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Those parts are not on the current roadmap. Personally I think they should have been included from day one. 

When they copied over the codebase there was no DLC and the used the feature set available at that point. Not the strongest argument given that they revamped the game a couple of times since (those years were spent on something after all), but that’s the narrative why it’s not there.

I can see adding it as DLC eventually. Where he are going to slot in 1.875m parts between SM and MD is a bigger question. And given how much fun Robotics and Propellors are, it’s a shame if they don’t get added back.

4 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Seems odd that they wouldn’t include all the parts and features from the older game.. I guess they want to hold them back so we can buy them again as DLC..

To be fair, robotics parts do present some additional challenges for some kinds of physics optimizations that were considered for the game. I don't know if these optimizations are still planned - it doesn't look like any of that is happening in the current version of early access, but even just having them in mind might have been enough for someone to make the call not to include this as a feature at the release. Robotic parts are also if not an outright problem for multiplayer, at least a speed bump that would make getting multiplayer out the door a lot easier if the robotics just wasn't a part of it. This doesn't have to be just a cash grab is what I'm saying. Though, I'm sure someone will make a call to exploit it as one regardless of the original intent, so yeah, I would expect robotics to be a part of DLC at some point.

Edited by K^2

I would be very, very disappointed if basic things like the rotary parts don't find themselves in KSP2 by full release. 

The roadmap doesn't mention parts (other than the tech tree progression and the colony/interstellar parts) but it would be very odd if KSP2 doesn't expand its current part-set by then

Will KSP2 at release have all the KSP1 + DLC parts?     I don't know, but I wish... And it damn should!

Will KSP2 at release have all the KSP1 parts?   It should, otherwise something is very very wrong

5 hours ago, K^2 said:

To be fair, robotics parts do present some additional challenges for some kinds of physics optimizations that were considered for the game. I don't know if these optimizations are still planned - it doesn't look like any of that is happening in the current version of early access, but even just having them in mind might have been enough for someone to make the call not to include this as a feature at the release. Robotic parts are also if not an outright problem for multiplayer, at least a speed bump that would make getting multiplayer out the door a lot easier if the robotics just wasn't a part of it. This doesn't have to be just a cash grab is what I'm saying. Though, I'm sure someone will make a call to exploit it as one regardless of the original intent, so yeah, I would expect robotics to be a part of DLC at some point.

Given how many features they already had announced didn't make it into the EA, I doubt robotics was even on their radar.  I think you again give them far too much credit for forward looking planning.  This is a project that was clearly struggling with scope and execution, not a carefully choreographed & staged development process that happened to be interrupted early. 

2 hours ago, RocketRockington said:

I think you again give them far too much credit for forward looking planning.

Has the patch been anything less than I've suggested it was going to be based on my assessment of the team? Again, I don't think you understand how the game development is planned and executed on at the high level.

58 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Has the patch been anything less than I've suggested it was going to be based on my assessment of the team? Again, I don't think you understand how the game development is planned and executed on at the high level.

One patch vs years of delays.   One does not outweigh the other. I also predicted that a lot of users would sing the praises of patch that fixed a lot of minor low hanging fruit and only a fraction of the big issues would have them believing the dev team was working miracles - when mostly what they've done is taken more than 3 weeks of work (the ESA build had more fixes but clearly also had show stoppers that prevented it from being the Feb24 release) and stuffed it into one patch, as well as mostly addressing the easiest to fix items.    Let's see what happens with the trajectory of patches - and when they get to actually adding features from the roadmap, rather than trying to fix their buggy mess, which is more relevant to the discussion at hand.

Edited by RocketRockington

13 hours ago, PakledHostage said:
16 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Yes. That's like the purpose of the game. You can live without robotics though.

Speak for yourself. I'd rather fly robotic missions than crewed ones.

There are two ways to interpret this

"I'd rather fly missions using probe cores than crew" - Just pick one of the probe cores then.

"I'd rather fly missions using articulating parts and components than have a crew" - These things are mutually exclusive?

Neither makes sense to me, and either way a gimmick like robotics isn't what inspired T2 to pour its resources into KSP 2.

On 3/21/2023 at 8:48 AM, Majorjim! said:

I mean, "releasing the same DLC for every game" worked wonders for The Sims =/

6 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Neither makes sense to me, and either way a gimmick like robotics isn't what inspired T2 to pour its resources into KSP 2.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't regard robotics to be a gimmick. I have no particular affinity or aversion to Kerbals, but building out and colonizing the Kerbolar system isn't what turns my crank. No bother though. You do you and I'll do me.

On 3/21/2023 at 4:25 PM, Kerbart said:

When they copied over the codebase there was no DLC and the used the feature set available at that point. Not the strongest argument given that they revamped the game a couple of times since (those years were spent on something after all), but that’s the narrative why it’s not there.

I can see adding it as DLC eventually. Where he are going to slot in 1.875m parts between SM and MD is a bigger question. And given how much fun Robotics and Propellors are, it’s a shame if they don’t get added back.

I think it should be in the base game now given the price of the game. Putting it in DLC for KSP was fine but if they add it as DLC in KSP2 it will be a kick in the teeth. 

12 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

I think it should be in the base game now given the price of the game. Putting it in DLC for KSP was fine but if they add it as DLC in KSP2 it will be a kick in the teeth. 

Part of me says yes.

But from a realistic perspective, and if we want to see continued development, DLC is unavoidable and Robotics is just too much of a golden DLC oppty to release in the base game.

Given the hundreds, if notthousands of hours of playtime we get out of the game I’ll be happy to see it as DLC, rather than not getting it at all.

47 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:
6 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't regard robotics to be a gimmick. I have no particular affinity or aversion to Kerbals, but building out and colonizing the Kerbolar system isn't what turns my crank. No bother though. You do you and I'll do me.

Regardless of opinions, Take Two isn't spending millions on robotics. They're spending millions on said "colonizing the Kerbolar system", besides rewriting the game. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say diverting more time to features you never see anywhere else like realistic interstellar travel is way more important. The Kerbolar system, and calling a haphazard pile of vessels a colony cos of KSP 1's limitations, are stale and the entire reason for KSP 2's existence.

Edited by Bej Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.