1. 1. Jeb is the best pilot

• Somewhat agree
    • Agree
    • Strongly Agree
  2. 2. Val is the best pilot

• Somewhat disagree
    • Disagree
    • Strongly disagree

The answer to this is obvious, and everyone on the forum knows it (no matter what they say out loud). Jeb was always first. Female Kerbals were added later because their omission was glaring (though many would argue that Kerbals had no gender at that point). Everyone loves Val, but Jeb is Jeb (ever hear of Mechval?). The problem with threads like this, however light-hearted their intent, is that they will devolve into weird arguments about things that have no place in a gaming forum.

In summary, if you're gonna make this argument, the best way to do it is just to say "Jeb-level sounds better than Val-level". Which it does.

This could indeed go very toxic, very quickly.  

The Kerbal Astronaut Corps culture in my head has always been kind of like the Corvette racing/massive drunken party at the Outpost scene in Episode 1 of For All Mankind - lots of buzz cuts, barbecues, buzzing the tower, spiffy sixties menswear, heavy drinking in Tiki bars, aviator sunglasses, and fast cars, but this is just projecting the fun pop culture aspects of the glory days of the Space Race onto KSP.  It has nothing to do with any aspect of the US culture war.

In my KSP1 Career saves, I’d always give Jeb and Val alternate missions.  Having two equally qualified pilots only makes sense, and looping back to For All Mankind (possibly the most Kerbal show on TV), I envision the Jeb and Val relationship as being exactly like the Ed and Molly friendship in FAM: one based on mutual respect and admiration, love of job, heavy drinking and loose regard for the rules.  Ranking the two BadS kerbonauts, or otherwise contaminating my shiny happy optimistic KSP headvibe with toxic culture war fallout, is silly, pointless and nothing that I intend to do.

Jeb was the star of KSP1, Val is the star of KSP2, but in all honesty I think the two of them really wouldn't care one bit about some dumb human ranking of them, they're both professional thrill-seekers far more concerned about actually getting out and doing things.

Edited by regex

1 hour ago, regex said:

but in all honesty I think the two of them really wouldn't care one bit about some dumb human ranking of them

Hey I’m not a dum human.

4 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

In summary, if you're gonna make this argument, the best way to do it is just to say "Jeb-level sounds better than Val-level". Which it does.

True, but Jeb is the best pilot.

5 minutes ago, VlonaldKerman said:

True, but Jeb is the best pilot.

You're a sly one, sir. I was checking the voting numbers when I finally realized you pulled a fast one. No matter how someone votes, they're agreeing with you. Pretty slick.

Or everyone else already noticed and I'm just an idiot. Or both :D.

3 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

You're a sly one, sir. I was checking the voting numbers when I finally realized you pulled a fast one. No matter how someone votes, they're agreeing with you. Pretty slick.

Or everyone else already noticed and I'm just an idiot. Or both :D.

shhhhhhhh...

A long time ago I crashed my bike on a racetrack, I crashed while trying to keep up with the wife. I've come to terms as to who really is the better pilot. 

So who'd you choose to share a command pod with and feel safer? 

3 hours ago, LoSBoL said:

A long time ago I crashed my bike on a racetrack, I crashed while trying to keep up with the wife. I've come to terms as to who really is the better pilot. 

So who'd you choose to share a command pod with and feel safer? 

I’m 6’2”.  I wouldn’t even fit into a command pod of any size.  I’d need one of those double long Hitchiker cans at a minimum, and the lack of life support would be a total dealbreaker.

51 minutes ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

I’m 6’2”.  I wouldn’t even fit into a command pod of any size.  I’d need one of those double long Hitchiker cans at a minimum, and the lack of life support would be a total dealbreaker.

So neither I guess, since we're looking for excuses. I bet you've put Kerbals into cargobays without a second thought. :o

58 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

So neither I guess, since we're looking for excuses. I bet you've put Kerbals into cargobays without a second thought. :o

One of my fave Career mode dodges was sticking nine command chairs into a 2.5m service bay, stacking a couple of those, accepting every tourist contract going, and making insane profits…. I’d even open the doors once they cleared atmo.

Don’t ask me how I found out service bays weren’t pressurized.  #classactionwrongfuldeathlawsuit

16 minutes ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

One of my fave Career mode dodges was sticking nine command chairs into a 2.5m service bay, stacking a couple of those, accepting every tourist contract going, and making insane profits…. I’d even open the doors once they cleared atmo.

Don’t ask me how I found out service bays weren’t pressurized.  #classactionwrongfuldeathlawsuit

Them Kerbals would have no difficulty at all fitting you in an command pod of any size...

On 3/19/2023 at 6:02 PM, Wheehaw Kerman said:

If the Kerbals we have killed are all waiting for us in Kalhalla we are all going to have an alarming afterlife.

Imagine what the Kerbal Afterlife must be like....

Exactly like Kerbal Space Program.

!

KSP IS THE KERBAL AFTERLIFE!!!

Edited by Jacke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.