"OneOscar" Fan Club!

Welcome to the "OneOscar" Fan Club!

This is a standardized craft build to test your piloting skills at their smallest and most stylish limits!

-Collect the Island Coin and Flying Tiger coin to claim serious arial cred!

One-Oscar-Training-Center-Crop.png

"OneOscar SG" 

Everyone is welcome to join in the fun! "OneOscar" Biplanes make a wonderful addition to any aircraft collectors hangar!

The challenge is simple: Become a Member of the "OneOscar" Fan ClubTM

How to become a member:

Build or Download (Copy/Paste) a "OneOscar" biplane, then use it to complete, or compete in, another forum.kerbal community challenge. Suggestions are:

• "Threading the Needle" by @milosh
  • "Lightest to the Island Airfield" by @azgar
  • "Fastest Under the Bridge" by @Meta Jonez
  • "Air Launch to Orbit" (I will soon have a craft you can use for this)
  • Any KSP2 challenge you feel like you can reasonably complete or compete in a "OneOscar" Plane

Join your chosen community challenge with your "OneOscar" and be sure to brag about your cool paint job or spin. Let them know which variant of "OneOscar" you ride so they can look at you in awe. Once you've completed that, submit a screenshot of your "OneOscar" with the addition of a link to your external challenge submission in this thread to complete membership.  (to get the link to your external post, click on the three dots at the top of your submission). Optionally, just post in this "OneOscar" thread if you are uncomfortable posting elsewhere; we still know you are a true fan.

Pick up a craft file here (CTRL+C outside of game) -> (CTRL+V in the VAB):

Spoiler

Base "OneOscar" Models

Member Mods to the Base Model:

•  

Sample Submission:

Spoiler

I completed Azgar's "Lightest to the Island Airfield"!

I used my "OneOscar FGXL+" for the first submission, and a "OneOscar SG Lite" for the second!

Small-Island-Plane-Preview1.png

CLUB MEMBER BENEFITS

One-Oscar-EAOfficial.png

Pictured Above: The Newest Iteration of Club Member Coin- Representing the sentiment that Early Access really is for those brave enough to venture into KSP2 while the enemy is scaled to unreasonable difficulty.  Featuring the flagship "OneOscar" FG reaching beyond Kerbin despite the challenges faced... (Or maybe it represents despondance, the crew report just says, "We've got to get outta here! The Kraken is coming!" which has officially been interpreted by Administration to be read as excitement rather than fear)

Other flair:

Spoiler

One-Oscar-Fan-Club-Coin.pngOne-Oscar-Bug-Coin.png

One-Oscar-Island-Coin.png One-Oscar-Tiger-Coin.png

Members will be eligible to wear earned Flair in their Signature. 

• All members automatically earn the "OneOscar" Coin. 
  • "OneOscar" Club challenge coins (see post below) can be earned once you are a member.
  • Coins are optional. The real joy will be the OneOscar in your arsenal.

Other membership perks:

Spoiler

Being a "OneOscar" Enthusiast is a reward in and of itself. The joy of piloting one of these mighty steeds is no less than absolute bliss. Once when describing his excitement after completing challenges in a "OneOscar", well unknown Engineer Ken had this to say: "It's an incredible feeling of power! And easy too! Like riding a bike, but the bike is a tiger, and the tiger has wings!"

Beyond the joy of piloting one of Kerbin's most unique tiny aircaft, your membership will signify you as a certified awesome Pilot Extraordinaire.  Membership alone requires a minimum amount of skill based on the rubric of the aircraft; In a "OneOscar" challenge you will be compared against skill alone, and not craft (to a large extent).

As you gain experience through attaining "OneOscar" Fan Club Badges, you will have proof available that you are "Certified Awesome Trick Pilot". Not only will you gain skill and prestige, but also knowledge. By experimenting with the basic "OneOscar FG" model and its many variations, you will become more adept at configuring your aircraft for different situations and become even better known across the forums as a fountain of knowledge among tinkerers, toyers, and stunt-jockeys.

Once you've completed the initial challenge your name will be added to the club database* at the bottom of this post and you will be eligible to earn Club Badges! (Badges are an honor system reward. Take one from the screen and resize it on Postimages — free image hosting / image upload for your signature)

*Remember this is a club, not a gang. But if we start needing our own subcategories within challenges, then so be it. 

Build Tutorial: For "OneOscar FG"

Spoiler

Shared Craft on the Forum "OneOscar FG"- "R2-Redo" (Pastebin and KSPbuilds)

Spoiler

How to Fly Your "OneOscar":

Spoiler

Other Club Compliance Guidelines and Specifications:

Spoiler

OneOscar name guide

• All OneOscar vehicle Formal Name must start with the name "OneOscar".
  • All OneOscar vehicle names must be surrounded by quotes.
  • All OneOscar vehicles are eligible for an Informal Name after completing a challenge. The name is given during the challenge submission.

First Suffix:

• FG, Fixed Gear in front
  • SG, Steerable Gear in front (No Brakes)

(All one OneOscars are single "rear gear")

Weight/Dimension

• Lite,    No vertical stabilizer
  • Super Lite,    Lite without inline stabilizer and battery
  • W,    Wide. Above 0.04 Span (not above 0.06 Span) (ineligible for Lite categories); 5W and 6W
  • XL,    the related cousin to the "OneOscar" utilizing the xs methane tank. (ineligible for Lite categories)
  • S, Spark Engine; Some atmospheres require engine modification.
  • 2x, Another anomaly in the "OneOscar" family modded with a second Oscar tank
  • E, With the second to smallest battery (the round one; at the end of designation, but behind "+"; ineligible for Lite categories)
  • +,   With an extra inline stabilizer (the + is always at the end of designation; ineligible for Lite categories)

Examples:

• "OneOscar FG" is a standard "OneOscar" build. All OneOscars will either be FG or SG first.
  • "OneOscar FGXL6W+" would be the largest in category. XL should precede W in this arrangement.
  • The OneOscar in the tutorial is a White and Red Accented "OneOscar FG"

Other Rules for Club Membership:

1. Follow Site-wide rules
  2. Represent the club well; please refrain from being rude with your Club Membership. The goal is to eventually build a community of small flight enthusiasts. "Be excellent to each other!"- Bill and Ted
  3. Please keep posts in this thread on topic (OneOscar and challenge related).

"OneOscar" Wing Specs and Other Rules:

Spoiler
  • Wing specs should match details below; deviations will be considered "OneOscar" Community Mods- totally acceptable if it's in the spirit of the challenge
  • Width: TBD (Standard wing length is 0.04 span, Wide is 0.05 or 0.06) 
  • No floating parts
  • No Mods, Stock only
  • No Kraken drive
  • No Infinite Fuel for Azgar's Island Challenge

Wing Specifications:

BiWings

• Span: 0.04-0.06m
  • Angle: 0.49
  • Root Length: 0.02m
  • Root Thickness: 0.01m
  • Tip Length: 0.02m
  • Tip Thickness:: 0.01m
  • Tip Angle: 0.50m

Rear Side Stabilizers

• Span: 0.03m
  • Root Length: 0.01m
  • Tip Length: 0.01m

Vertical Stabilizer

• Span: 0.03m
  • Root Length: 0.01m
  • Tip Length: 0.01m

MEMBERSHIP ROSTER

Edited by Socraticat
Updated Craft Files/ Tutorials/ Readability; Be Excellent to Each Other!

First Official In-Club Challenges

3 Extra Club Coins to be earned*:

One-Oscar-Fan-Club-Coin.pngMember Coin

One-Oscar-Bug-Coin.pngOne-Oscar-Island-Coin.pngOne-Oscar-Tiger-Coin.pngChallenge Coins

• To earn the Early Access "Bug Pilot" Coin, Become a member during Early Access (Limited to E.A. date submissions)**
  • To earn the Azgar "Island Expert"  Coin, Fly 3 different variants to the Island Airfield and post a screenshot with all three vehicles (and 3 Kerbals) in front of the Island Hangars. (SG variants not recommended; Parking an Issue)
  • To earn the Meta "Flying Tiger"  Coin, post a screenshot of your "OneOscar" flying under the KSC bridge at a speed of at least 150m/s

*To be eligible for a Coin, one must already be a member of the "OneOscar" Fan Club. Any Coins earned before gaining membership will be retroactively rewarded.

** Becoming a member during Early Access automatically earns you the Early Access Badge

To show off your earned flair/coins, right-click on the Coin you want in your signature and "copy image link", then paste it into your signature located in account settings. The smaller images above are the preferred size for signatures.

Edited by Socraticat
Official Club Business/ Readability

Here is a submission for Azgar's "Island Expert" Badge. The three variants flown were all FG models:

• White /Blue Accents- "OneOscar FG"
  • Red w/Dark Red Accents- "OneOscar FG Lite"
  • Yellow w/White Accents- "OneOscar FG5W"

Azgar-Badge-2.png

Showing off for KSC in a "OneOscar FG5W" on the way to finish a challenge! Because it's not just about getting there, it's about getting there in style!

One-Oscar-FG5-W.png

Some tips to complete this challenge:

Spoiler

Wheels are currently... troublesome. The "Steerable Landing Gear" will offer a small "kraken push" in whichever direction it is pitched. My tutorial tips for setting up the gears are valid, but there's more to it than I had originally edited in.

In an FG, if you pitch the rear wheel as I indicated in the video, then your craft should roll forward or minimally when the brakes are off. In an SG, If you pitch any of the wheels you're in for a ride before and after landing, since there are no brakes, and pitch will determine the speed of push. You can use your reaction wheel to counteract the "kraken push" if you set it to 100%. This works in every model except the Super Lite category.

As far as suspension is concerned: until I stop colliding with unseen objects on the runway and until the "kraken push" is fixed, I'm going to recommend "auto suspension" or the data in the "R2-Redo" craft file. There should be a fully tested setup on the gears, and there is no pitch to the gears unless you add it.

Edited by Socraticat
Footprint

Azgar Island Expert Challenge entry

• Centre image - Blue / White Accents- "OneOscar FG" Valentina Kermin
  • Right - Red Accent air intake - "OneOscar FGXLW5" Bill Kermin
  • Left - Red / Pink Accents - "OneOscar FGW6" Bob Kermin

FOUfoBs.jpg

Meanwhile Tandas Kermin "parked" an "OneOscar FG" on the VAB roof just for good measure.

KSP2 rocks :) 

39 minutes ago, BeastHunter said:

Don’t have the skill to do any of this, but I like the “One Oscar” design, and may use it as an inspiration.

Sure you do! The "OneOscar" practically flys itself (for a limited time, at a high enough altitude, if you're going fast enough). Practice taking off and landing on the runway, nice and slow and gentle. Just to enjoy little hops. Then when you get good at just barely getting off the ground and gently landing again (all under 50 m/s!), throttle up and try to gently yaw and roll left in a wide circle around KSC until you've lined back up with the runway, then go back to landing... just like doing the little hops.

The Key to Azgar's challenge is to fly high enough to reduce drag on the "OneOscar" and use as little fuel as possible until gently sloping down to glide into the runway. At least 3,000 meters is recommended. There's no need to fly faster than 130 m/s, so throttle down if you're pushing faster than that up to altitude. Level off or go higher if you like (or can). I really only use minimal throttle to keep a speed of 90 m/s (ish) after my peak altitude getting to the island- I try to coast down with just enough throttle to hold my speed. Then land, just like doing the little hops.

If you want to make flight a little easier, you could commission a "OneOscar FGXL6W" to help you complete a flight to the island. That variant has extra lift and fuel, ensuring you shouldn't fall short of the runway no matter how innefficient your flight path*! (*subject to conditions...)

I believe in you @BeastHunter! But if you're getting plenty of inspiration as is, then we at the "OneOscar" Fan Club are happy to provide!

Edited by Socraticat
Emphasis

DA6912C2BE3948F4ADBE3B785D9DB6CCED3BC55F (1920×1080)

Heres my little OneOscar 

I had a close call here:

Animated GIF

hLC0IlS.png

217 m/s

9471998AC3B4768FE7B3279DA36716F31540DDC5 (1920×1080)

Here I have three variants at a sunrise :) 

Left - OneOscar FG Black/Red "Blood Raven"

Middle - OneOscar FG Black/Orange "Shadow Challenger"

Right - OneOscar FG Black/Blue "Blue Eagle"

Edited by Little 908

3 hours ago, Little 908 said:

DA6912C2BE3948F4ADBE3B785D9DB6CCED3BC55F (1920×1080)

Heres my little OneOscar 

I had a close call here:

Animated GIF

hLC0IlS.png

217 m/s

9471998AC3B4768FE7B3279DA36716F31540DDC5 (1920×1080)

Here I have three variants at a sunrise :) 

Left - OneOscar FG Black/Red "Blood Raven"

Middle - OneOscar FG Black/Orange "Shadow Challenger"

Right - OneOscar FG Black/Blue "Blue Eagle"

Amazing! Looks like a true fan indeed! 

Those are some amazing captures. They really capture the essence of "OneOscar" potential and showcase their nimble abilities well.

Great pass under the bridge! It's a daring dive, but there's little in life as thrilling as riding that flying tiger!

Edited by Socraticat

On 3/24/2023 at 4:42 AM, Kaa253 said:

Azgar Island Expert Challenge entry

• Centre image - Blue / White Accents- "OneOscar FG" Valentina Kermin
  • Right - Red Accent air intake - "OneOscar FGXLW5" Bill Kermin
  • Left - Red / Pink Accents - "OneOscar FGW6" Bob Kermin

FOUfoBs.jpg

Meanwhile Tandas Kermin "parked" an "OneOscar FG" on the VAB roof just for good measure.

KSP2 rocks :) 

XL variants are for those who like carrying emergency fuel, or just like having more time on their "OneOscar". Either way, this is definitely a perk and an indication that someone really knows their "OneOscar" well.

Great work!

Edited by Socraticat

8 hours ago, Socraticat said:

Amazing! Looks like a true fan indeed! 

Those are some amazing captures. They really capture the essence of "OneOscar" potential and showcase their nimble abilities well.

Great pass under the bridge! It's a daring dive, but there's little in life as thrilling as riding that flying tiger!

Thanks!

Bob Kerman preforms "loop de loop" around ksc bridge

Animated GIF

- Vehicle -

OneOscar Phantom Agility C058

Tim C Kerman challenges Bob with flying upside down through the ksc bridge!

Animated GIF

- Vehicle -

OneOscar Phantom Agility C058

Edited by Little 908

4 minutes ago, Little 908 said:

Challenge accepted! 

What are you talking about? Didn't you already do it?!! Like, 3 posts ago?

Or do you want your challenge to be the bar I've set? Take it if you can. That FG tank drys out fast!

Edited by Socraticat

9 minutes ago, Socraticat said:

What are you talking about? Didn't you already do it?!! Like, 3 posts ago?

Or do you want your challenge to be the bar I've set? Take it of you can. That FG tank drys out fast!

Im challenging the bar you set in the video, and im going to use a modified version for the run.

Edited by Little 908

Sounds good. I'm a firm believer that the motto of the "OneOscar" club should always be "Yes, and..."

A quick note on "modified" "OneOscar" Biplanes and a bonus to your challenge:

Spoiler

"OneOscar" History archives show that the base design of the "OneOscar"TM Biplane is that of the video titled "Tiny Island Plane" and "Tiny Island Plane 2", of little known infamy. While not perfect for everyones tastes, it fits a niche level of cute and it has an ability to be gently tweaked within strict parameters to allow for standardized modifications (and therefore expectations for performance) whereby club members may test largely skill alone vs. design prowess.

However, acknowledging popular demand for similar "OneOscar" themed designs, and a lack of legal funding to oppress our rivals, this club recognizes all single Oscar vehicles within certain parameters- namely size and part count (and the wild exception for xs methane tanks for XL variants). While the "OneOscar" is traditionally a Biplane, other variants are emerging that include VTOL and jet wing design. When introducing your design include rubric for your naming so we can all follow. Please keep it in line with (and not in opposition to) the current naming protocol.

In short, I've set the bar for standard "OneOscar" Models (FG and SG Biplanes) to earn the "Inverted Flying Tiger". I'll give you your own personalized coin color if you create your own "OneOscar" Standardized model for the challenge. It will still be an Inverted "Flying Tiger" Coin, but I'll let you choose the base colors if you want to change them.

I'd like to see you meet my challenge in my plane. That's the real ticket here. I'll gladly try to meet the bar you set with yours! For most, I really just want them to meet a low bar- a minimum level of effort to feel pride in doing what many others have done. Hence the lenient membership goals.

Edited by Socraticat

5 minutes ago, Socraticat said:

Sounds good. I'm a firm believer that the motto of the "OneOscar" club should always be "Yes, and..."

A quick note on "modified" "OneOscar" Biplanes and a bonus to your challenge:

Hide contents

"OneOscar" History archives show that the base design of the "OneOscar"TM Biplane is that of the video titled "Tiny Island Plane" and "Tiny Island Plane 2", of little known infamy. While not perfect for everyones tastes, it fits a niche level of cute and it has an ability to be gently tweaked within strict parameters to allow for standardized modifications (and therefore expectations for performance) whereby club members may test largely skill alone vs. design prowess.

However, acknowledging popular demand for similar "OneOscar" themed designs, and a lack of legal funding to oppress our rivals, this club recognizes all single Oscar vehicles within certain parameters- namely size and part count (and the wild exception for xs methane tanks for XL variants). While the "OneOscar" is traditionally a Biplane, other variants are emerging that include VTOL and jet wing design. When introducing your design include rubric for your naming so we can all follow. Please keep it in line with (and not in opposition to) the current naming protocol.

In short, I've set the bar for standard "OneOscar" Models (FG and SG Biplanes) to earn the "Inverted Flying Tiger". I'll give you your own personalized coin color if you create your own "OneOscar" Standardized model for the challenge. It will still be an Inverted "Flying Tiger" Coin, but I'll let you choose the base colors if you want to change them.

We really need some more members on this forum!

Maybe in a year or two there will be “OneOscar” events in multiplayer, just a thought

well, of course if this whole idea manages to last until then…

Edited by Little 908

Welcome Fans, Members, and onlookers, to an educational spectacle tailored for the "OneOscar" fanbase and aerial acrobatics aficionados:

A "pilot" for a new series*-

Learning With Socraticat 

• The Cobra Maneuver ("Do a Cobra!")

*Now taking requests for follow-up content

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.