Rumor: Adding LOTS of TR-4 Wheels will allow a Rover to Climb Hills.

JoeSchmuckatelli

I do A LOT of switchbacking. Considering how ridiculous the TR-2L wheels are going up hills I'm thinking the TR4 needs a huge buff.

Moar Wheels.  I usually have at least 8, sometimes as many as 16.  They need use a lot of juice though

Will they go uphill then?

Makes no sense.

Gonna have to try it!

Each wheel has a motor.  More wheels, more motors, more torque and horsepower 

The Conversation above happened in another thread, and I will leave @darthgently's name out of this so as to protect the innocent... but the rumor is that because TR-4 wheels are electric... LOTS of TR-4 wheels = MOAR POWAH.

We find out:

The TR4s are confirmed garbage and I'm 600km into a mountain range doing creative switchbacks up hills while dealing with terrain randomly throwing me back down.

KSP2 is beautiful. Trust me, seriously.

1 hour ago, thundershield said:

Yeah, really wish I had known this before I took a rover to Eve. Ended up only being able to go downhill, with even the most modest of slops proving too much lol

I'm right there with you... At the bottom of a bowl of hills with no way out! 

13 hours ago, The Aziz said:

terrain colliders

I find those all over the place. 

One thing - they are stronk.

41 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I imagined that video having Thunderbirds soundtrack music. :)

In KSP 1, I once found a way to make a rover that can drive up 90 Degrees slopes using an uppwards-facing engine that pushed the rover to the surface. This should work in KSP 2 as well.

12 hours ago, thundershield said:

Yeah, really wish I had known this before I took a rover to Eve. Ended up only being able to go downhill, with even the most modest of slops proving too much lol

That's why you should always test your stuff before you send it anywhere. In KSP 1, I always used cheats to teleport the vehicle to the destination  for test runs and then reverted the flight once I was done with testing. That way I made sure everything works in advance. And then I flew the actual mission without cheats.

19 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Duuuude,

I just wanted to say that the three videos of the RovoMatic3000 in this thread were delightful. Not only a great showcase of the (in)ability of the wheels, but fun to boot. I particularly like the type of "help" you attached to the rover to "help" it up the hills. Thanks for taking the time to post these :)

33 minutes ago, Papa BullDust said:

Duuuude,

I just wanted to say that the three videos of the RovoMatic3000 in this thread were delightful. Not only a great showcase of the (in)ability of the wheels, but fun to boot. I particularly like the type of "help" you attached to the rover to "help" it up the hills. Thanks for taking the time to post these :)

Yeah - post patch, Sandbox is actually fun to play.  Still a bunch of bugs - but a solid Beta experience!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.